LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done any street racing but suspect that I'll be doing some once the GTO is broken in a bit more. How do you guys do it? I have the M6. Completely stock. What gear to start in? Do I hit every gear, or skip some? How high to get the RPMs before shifting? What cars should I be able to take assuming stock once I've had some practice and what cars are out of my league? I'm not looking to go around challenging every yahoo with a 5 speed, but if the situation is right and the road is clear and safe I'd like to not embarrass myself or the GTO reputation.

Safety will be of paramount concern. And I will practice on a deserted stretch of road before attempting anything. Thanks.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
hey mikesan,
im guessing this is your first stick (no offense meant)? just get used to it first, enjoy it, then start hitting it hard throught all the gears on a straight away, in a safe place ofcourse, like th strip, you will start to feel your car, i know it sounds cheesy but its true, then you will know what gears to hit and when, just has fun.. oh an p.s. NEVER NEVER NEVER brake through a turn, break before and go for the apex of the trun, and hit it on the way out, this way you will slow the car before the turn giving you more traction on the fron wheels for the turn, due to the forward motion of a braking car, and then when you leave the apex, giving it gas will transfer more grip to your back tires for that straitaway your blasting through..... just some street racing 101

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I am fortunate that the local track here has performance classes. Best thing I have done yet with the GOAT. Gotza is correct but is takes a lot of practice. Check out all the tracks in your area and see if they have such a class. You won't regret it!!!
:drink::drink:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually this is my fifth manual. Had an 87 Tercel, an 87 MR2, an 03 Corolla, and still have an 03 Mazda 6. None of them had anything near the power that the GTO has and I never considered racing them. I need to find the local track. Not sure where it is in San Jose. Also need to find the local speed shop! In the meantime, I'll finish breaking it in in a practice. I was hoping to get an idea at what RPMs I should be shifting. Assuming A/C and traction control need to be turned off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts