LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BIG G
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to strengthen the rear end of these cars? Would buying a new beefier rear be the key or could you get similiar strength by upgrading parts. How and what to do this? New rears from diff tech 2350 ouch so cheaper alternative would be great. Would the factory still hold with added power, because all these rear issues are starting to get me concerned since I am doing the h/c upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Why pay for a new rear end when GM obviously has a problem with them and it will be 100% covered under factory warranty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
CDecker said:
Why pay for a new rear end when GM obviously has a problem with them and it will be 100% covered under factory warranty?
I hope so. I need everyone to post problems so I can bring in the print out 'cause with all my mods, I'm kinda screwed.
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
cjlannoy said:
I hope so. I need everyone to post problems so I can bring in the print out 'cause with all my mods, I'm kinda screwed.
Funny, printing out a list of the problems didn't help to convine my dealer. I'm still not sure that there IS a problem, however.
 

·
BIG G
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its under warranty just looking at the best way to beef it up since I will be doing heads and cam. Don't want further issues related to more HP popping up. Just trying to make things better for longevity.
 

·
Enjoy the trolls
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
BIG G said:
because all these rear issues are starting to get me concerned since I am doing the h/c upgrade.
You should be concerned that the dealer will not hold on to the warranty. The last time I checked these goats walked away from their lots WITHOUT a H/C upgrade. Now ask yourself this question: how long do you think before they realized you upgraded your power from the new heads and cams and why should they be obligated to fix your rear end. I know there is a MagnusonMoss Act but with my experience, it is going to be an uphill battle. You will get lots of replies here from folks saying the dealer needs to show a direct correlation between the mod and the failure. But if they rescind, are you willing to fight your battle to the courts or more realistically, hop from dealer to dealer to seek a friendly accomodating one? All sounds like a major hassle to me.

This is the main reason why I have not seriously upgraded my pwr/tq. I could afford to install a magnacharger from the moment I got my goat but finding a dealer that will honor my comprehensive bumper to bumper extended 7/70 warranty is going to be a PITA.
 

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
There are a few dealers who are more willing than others to allow different mods to slide(long tubes,programmers, etc) But I seriously doubt you will find one that will allow a H/C job unless it is with GM parts and done by them, which would cost you double the price of a better performing package from an aftermarker dealer.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
desertgoat said:
You should be concerned that the dealer will not hold on to the warranty. The last time I checked these goats walked away from their lots WITHOUT a H/C upgrade. Now ask yourself this question: how long do you think before they realized you upgraded your power from the new heads and cams and why should they be obligated to fix your rear end. I know there is a MagnusonMoss Act but with my experience, it is going to be an uphill battle. You will get lots of replies here from folks saying the dealer needs to show a direct correlation between the mod and the failure. But if they rescind, are you willing to fight your battle to the courts or more realistically, hop from dealer to dealer to seek a friendly accomodating one? All sounds like a major hassle to me.

This is the main reason why I have not seriously upgraded my pwr/tq. I could afford to install a magnacharger from the moment I got my goat but finding a dealer that will honor my comprehensive bumper to bumper extended 7/70 warranty is going to be a PITA.
very well stated. and agree completely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
I guess if you want to play, you gotta pay...

(when you break something)

I for one, am awaiting a twelve bolt solid axle replacement set up... Hope Racecraft has the time to finish "something" before I destroy my IRS...

Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Some of us could care less about the powertrain warranty. I've got more spare LS1 parts in my garage than most dealers do anyway, not to mention a hell of a lot more experience and knowledge ;) I could throw a rod through the block this morning, swap the motor with one of the spares in the garage and take her to work tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Brains said:
Some of us could care less about the powertrain warranty. I've got more spare LS1 parts in my garage than most dealers do anyway, not to mention a hell of a lot more experience and knowledge ;) I could throw a rod through the block this morning, swap the motor with one of the spares in the garage and take her to work tomorrow.
You want to send me a new rear end cheap then?
 

·
BIG G
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess know one has a real answer about strengthening the rear end. I know the upgrade warranty fight will be a hassle and don't rightly care. Just want to know what is the best way or ways to strenghten the rear and price costs. Looks like swapping to solid axle is a choice but prefer to stay IRS. Like the ride qualities but prefer reliability. Again stay with the question. I already have the whining rear and will be fixed or noted prior to H/C upgrade just looking at down the road later on.
 

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
Joined
·
407 Posts
I think BMR has an upgraded diff cover that provides better support to the gears. Believe it's imported from Oz, so it's really pricey, though.
 

·
No More GTO!!!!
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
Harrop Differential cover,BMR driveshaft w/yokes and BMR axle stubs and CVs and I don't think you'll have a problem then except in your wallet.$3500.00 then you need assembly and shipping.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top