LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a stupid question, but when you put shorter gears in a car does it lower the hp shown on a dynojet? I see alot of sigs over in ls1tech where people state their power output followed up by a stmt reading:"through 4.11 gears" or "through 10 bolt w/ x.xx gears" Just wondering.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
gtodoug said:
This may sound like a stupid question, but when you put shorter gears in a car does it lower the hp shown on a dynojet? I see alot of sigs over in ls1tech where people state their power output followed up by a stmt reading:"through 4.11 gears" or "through 10 bolt w/ x.xx gears" Just wondering.
I don't think that gears should have any effect on HP as they're meant to get the engine into the powerband sooner and keep it there. That's what I've understood from discussion on this board, anyway.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
No. When the dyno operator enters in your information, they will enter the gear ratio and WinPep will calculate accordingly.

·
Lil Cosmos GTO
507 Posts
I believe RWHP figures should increase, as lower gears (higher numerical) changes are made. as it takes less power to turn the tires with the lower ratios.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
It's factored into the computation in the WinPep software that DynoJet uses. Gear changes are nothing more than changes in leverage and not a power adder. This is presuming you're running on a DynoJet. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts