LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am sure you probably have seen my posts about the damn ls2edit fiasco. Well we have a brand new ECM and TCM in the car. It was at a dealership to load the VIN and new stock tune into the new ECM. The car reads the stock tune and will start but obviously with my mods won't stay running..

At first we found out the hard way that a new TCM would also be needed because we tried to have HPT read the ECM and TCM and it would error at the TCM. No problem..new TCM installed this morning..

Now we have a new problem. HPT reads the system perfectly. I then will allow you to edit the parameters but when you try to write the VCM, it errors at step 4 and gives some wierd "cannot find correct boot driver" error or something to that effect. In other words the program can read the system but won't overwrite it. Again its the stock tune put in by the dealership.

Any suggestions. We already tried to pull fuses on the aftermarket radio and that didn't work. Right now the tuner thinks it may be his laptop and is buying another one..

Regardless, I haven't driven the damn thing in a month and getting pretty damn frustrated...

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
I got news for you, a new laptop isn't going to fix it. The LS2 edit folks need to buy you a new PCM. The dealer won't help because it will take a factory tune. Your best best is to see if they can lock it. Then take it to the dealer and tell them you are having intermitent issues and ask them to load a new tune in it. They won't be able to and they will most likely order you a PCM under warranty. This of course is not what I would do, but if one wanted to get around this issue...one may be able to in this manner :)

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Well if you'd stop being an asshat Jeff, your car would work right. Haha, I'm just kidding. I can't help you any, but good luck man.

·
user
1,367 Posts
pharmdgto said:
FYI..I have a NEW ECM and TCM.....virgin pieces..
the car also has a bcm that syncs with ecm . its hard enough just to fix stock stuff much less troubleshoot electronics that have been modded . I understand because its a royal pia but you may have to go back to your original pcm and tcm for vin recognition on all cm's and return to original tuner to have them undo what they did to get back to baseline :comp: . cars today have more computing power than it took to put man on the moon . I have trouble occasionally just programming keys on pats with oem equiptment much less stuff thats locked by aftermarket tuning software . I would be equally pissed , but we all know that wont do jack . you could call your original tuner and maybe they would make some type of concession by meeting you halfway or something to de-tune your oem ecm,tcm,bcm . I have gone to a customers house with a palm pc to program keyless entry and pats keys just to save them the trouble .

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IBM/M6 said:
the car also has a bcm that syncs with ecm . its hard enough just to fix stock stuff much less troubleshoot electronics that have been modded . I understand because its a royal pia but you may have to go back to your original pcm and tcm for vin recognition on all cm's and return to original tuner to have them undo what they did to get back to baseline :comp: . cars today have more computing power than it took to put man on the moon . I have trouble occasionally just programming keys on pats with oem equiptment much less stuff thats locked by aftermarket tuning software . I would be equally pissed , but we all know that wont do jack . you could call your original tuner and maybe they would make some type of concession by meeting you halfway or something to de-tune your oem ecm,tcm,bcm . I have gone to a customers house with a palm pc to program keyless entry and pats keys just to save them the trouble .
While that does seem like a good theory, that would mean that if your ECM ever went bad for some reason that you would be SOL. That is the exact reason that you need a tech II to link the new ECM with the existing BCM. The BCM will then recognize the ECM afterwards and let you proceed. We already did this via a trip to the dealer which allowed us to reprogram a stock tune into the car.

I have read posts by others concerning a swap out of the ECM/TCM and when they did both it seemed to be fine and they were ready to accept HPT and proceed with a tune. Something on mine just isn't right. I would think that if your new ECM was not correctly linked to the BCM, then we would not have been able to get a stock tune in it fro the dealership.

·
Registered
788 Posts
i double that...

support at hptuners dot com

·
efilive evangalist
167 Posts
Also did you completely drain power from the pcm after getting the error. Sometimes if a flash fails a complete power drain works wonders. Pull the fuse or battery lead for 15min.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
foff667 said:
have you or your tuner contacted support for any help? Did they have any insite as to whats going on?

My tuner shop did just sent a log. I talked with them (my shop) today and they noted that the new ECM for the 05 had a firmware upgrade that prevents their current HPT from writing to the new ECM. I guess HPT is working on a fix for me right now. They are awaiting the fix.

·
PSYKOSS
575 Posts
Also did you completely drain power from the pcm after getting the error. Sometimes if a flash fails a complete power drain works wonders. Pull the fuse or battery lead for 15min.
That's one of the last things I would do. :damnyou:

Does the tuner have unlimited credits for the car year? Since you have replaced the VCM, the computer will have a different ID# and then HPTuners will not recognize it if it was licensed to the old computer with individual credits.

·
All Motor 11 Second Club
1,347 Posts
Had the same error... had to replace the PIM at $100.. Problem solved for me.

Tuner had a write error at step 4, same as you. New PIM and ECM, had the dealer marry everything and all was good.

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
My tuner shop did just sent a log. I talked with them (my shop) today and they noted that the new ECM for the 05 had a firmware upgrade that prevents their current HPT from writing to the new ECM. I guess HPT is working on a fix for me right now. They are awaiting the fix.
I know this old but CHA-LEE ran into the same problem (I am his tuner) GM put a new version of the OS on his ECM and you need HPTuners 2.19beta or newer to get it to work. This new OS has other quirks as well...

It took AGES for the dealer to get the new ECM and the PIM to synch correctly as well, which made it even more fun.

·
Must go faster...
1,569 Posts
I know this old but CHA-LEE ran into the same problem (I am his tuner) GM put a new version of the OS on his ECM and you need HPTuners 2.19beta or newer to get it to work. This new OS has other quirks as well...

It took AGES for the dealer to get the new ECM and the PIM to synch correctly as well, which made it even more fun.
I have yet to see a customer with the newer OS, can you post up the stock file for viewing? What quirks?

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
yeah ill post it up later.

the quirk is in the PE table. anything below 3500, its like the multipler doesn't work right. I was commanding 8.0-9.0 on those values and it was 13 or so on the wideband. right @ 3500, it was richer than sh*t. There was a HUGE drop in AFR from uber lean below 3500 to uber rich <10 @ 3500, and then right AFTER 3500, the PE table worked perfectly normally. It was the weirdest thing ive ever seen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts