LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DY and I got together this past Saturday for a couple of hours to run
HP TUNERS software on Christine.

Boy am I impressed with what DY and the software can do.
We made several adjustment to the car and man all I can say is Awesome.
I really like the interface of the software and how easy it was to use.
There are so many tricks and adjustment that anyone using this porgram will not be sorry they invested in it.

I would like to publicly thank DY for taking the time out of his busy schedule
to tune the car.
And to HP TUNERS for some awesome software to make an already great GTO preform beyond my expectations. :p

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Wow, what a timely post, holeshot. I have been struggling all night trying to decide if I should invest in the software or not. I was looking at the "Mail Order Tune" offered by SpeedInc, but I'd have to send them my PCM and the first time I unplug the battery cable all that is lost.

I'm not a mechanic, but I AM a computer nerd by trade. Looks like my leaky roof will have to wait another couple of paydays. :D

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AmesGTO said:
What changes did you make? I have the HPTuners software/hardware coming this week.
A lot of torque management stuff best suited to my needs :p
Can't say much, the walls have ears you know. :wall:

Sorry nothing personal. ;)

·
2,432 Posts
Holeshot said:
A lot of torque management stuff best suited to my needs :p
Can't say much, the walls have ears you know. :wall:

Sorry nothing personal. ;)
I missed the A4 in your sig. From what I have seen there is a lot more that can be tuned with the A4's. I'm guessing most of your changes wouldn't help an M6 unless you changed some temp settings...

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AmesGTO said:
I missed the A4 in your sig. From what I have seen there is a lot more that can be tuned with the A4's. I'm guessing most of your changes wouldn't help an M6 unless you changed some temp settings...

;) Only two people know :sneaky:

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
We didnt do anything radical, first time I looked at the A4 parts of the GTO PCM, there was a decent amount of torque management that we took care of. I'd be interested in seeing before and after results, with shift points and the TM taken out I bet the car would turn out a decent gain.

·
Kernal Sanders
0 Posts
cool...I think i am going to Dyno tune Thursday or Wensday...I'll keep you updated...Well If my intake comes in. I want to Dyno Base, With Intake, then tune for MAX gain.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
As I mentioned in the other thread, we too (Keith from HP and I) removed torque management from the PCM in my truck. It was a night and day difference. We did standard "adjustments" for other mods I had done, but mainly he is using the base file to develop programming for the 8.1 and see how they can crack into the Allison controller to adjust shift points and a few other things. Sorry I'm off on a tangent. :D

·
HP Tuners
125 Posts
We are very glad you like our product. :) Thanks for the kind words.

CMNTMXR57, Thanks for your assistance and letting us tune your truck. That's one fine tow vehicle!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
No problem Keith. Sorry I have not been able to post on the truck boards, but I've had a personal issue taking my time the past two weeks.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AnoxieGTO said:
Why so secretive? we should all be on the same team here?

Yes we are.

I am just paranoid.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Speaking of paranoid, I have just learned that members of my immediate family have discovered this forum and have been watching for my posts.

For the record, let me state that everything I have posted so far is a bold face lie. I would never drive my brand new car the way I have described. I paid too much money for the car, and besides, I am too old to behave in such a juvenile manner.

:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
FLORIT said:
Speaking of paranoid, I have just learned that members of my immediate family have discovered this forum and have been watching for my posts.
:D
I'm 33, ex-marine, when I showed my mother some of the mag. articles I thought she would sh*t!! I had to reassure her that I got alot of the craziness out when I was a teenager. She was not enthused!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Holeshot said:
Yes we are.

I am just paranoid.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't trying to get you.

·
Kernal Sanders
0 Posts
LOL
why pay all that money for such a car and not drive it to it's full potenital? that seems to be the real question!?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
My mom was riding home from dinner w/ me the other day and it started raining. She says 'you know, when it just starts raining like this, it can be real slippery out'. I said 'well, I have the traction control on, and if I turn it off, it's real slippery even on dry pavement w/ the torque of this car'. I think she has a hard time realizing that I know what I'm doing. Sorta, mostly ;)
Back on topic - how much benefit can you get from the hp tuner w/ a stock manual car? I'm thinking I will probably hold off until I start modding stuff next spring, but just wondering what anybody has seen on m6's - besides the normal drop the fan on settings, lose CAGS and lose the top speed.
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
how much benefit can you get from the hp tuner w/ a stock manual car?
I have the same question, Dan. I am teetering on the edge of buying this software, but the only "performance" mod I am going to install this year is the 160-degree T-stat. When I do that, I will want to lower the fan "on/off" temps. I am having trouble justifying the cost of the software just to lower the fan temps, get rid of the "skip shift", and change the top speed limiter (which I don't really need to change because I will never go 160mph.)

On the other hand, I think it would be great to do some "data collection" with the scanner tool while I'm at the track. The problem is, I have no idea how to interpret the data.

So, for the first time since I bought this car, I am actually HESITATING to spend money. :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts