LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about 95 % sure this is the cam i want to go with ive heard nothing but good things about it. However i just need to know a few things b4 i order, i am going to go with kooks l/t's does it really even matter what size?? ( im thinking 1 3/4). i will probably go with a fast 90. I really dont want to do heads right now, and im not sure that a cai and catback will make a huge diffrence, so with that said how much would these items set me back? And what would i be putting to the ground with the mods?? ( 06 a4)

·
Banned
591 Posts
ihaterice said:
i am about 95 % sure this is the cam i want to go with ive heard nothing but good things about it. However i just need to know a few things b4 i order, i am going to go with kooks l/t's does it really even matter what size?? ( im thinking 1 3/4). i will probably go with a fast 90. I really dont want to do heads right now, and im not sure that a cai and catback will make a huge diffrence, so with that said how much would these items set me back? And what would i be putting to the ground with the mods?? ( 06 a4)

mine is an hpe-c cam with slp long tubes and lingerfelter cai...i have'nt touched the heads or the intake and look at my times also look at video in my sig. that should convince you to buy the hpe-c cam just remember you need a good tuner to make it work good with an A4.......

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how does it work with the slp?? would you see about the same gain as kooks?? what kind of power do you make?

·
Banned
591 Posts
ihaterice said:
how does it work with the slp?? would you see about the same gain as kooks?? what kind of power do you make?
i made 417 rwhp and 385 rwtq remeber its in A4 with a torque converter so it shows low on the dyno but fly's at the track and on the street.....

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i see i dont know if im going to do converter or 3.91's. i want to have it done next spring ( pointless to do it now massachusetts weather coming up ). so with install and tuning what would i be looking at say c cam slp lt's and fast 90 ( maybe)

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
price wise??

·
Registered
199 Posts
you have to do the converter with a cam! If anything get the converter before the fast..BUT get the converter...........

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
gonepostal said:
you have to do the converter with a cam! If anything get the converter before the fast..BUT get the converter...........
What he said. You cant run that cam and not run at leat a 3000 stall converter. This cam will be idling at 900-950 rpm. Stock verter is too tight for that. Car will shake like a 8.2 earthquake and hove no bottom end acceleration.

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much does the converter cost?? with install

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
ihaterice said:
how much does the converter cost?? with install
over $1500 with install i would say :shiner:

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can get it done for around 1200 if your lucky, usually 700+ for the stall and around 400+labor....

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i see so is this a immediate rush to put a converter on?? or is more of a comfortable thing or what?? Can this wait a few months after cam install and how are these cams starting up in cold weather??

·
Went over to the darkside.
970 Posts
gonepostal said:
You can get it done for around 1200 if your lucky, usually 700+ for the stall and around 400+labor....
Don't forget the transmission cooler for around another $150 installed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You will need to install the converter before or at the same time as the cam if you go with something like our "C" or "S" cam. Precision Industries converters retail for $795 and we charge $300 to install them.

Steven Fereday
Horsepower Engineering
281-448-1300

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright so then a c cam costs what 800$$??? so basically its kooks with install around 1k cam with install around 1k and converter with install around 1k?? so 3k for products and install and another 3-500 for tune?? does this sound right

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
Hpe's special of 1500 included install and complete kit. Little more than 1000. But also included tune.

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
couple of things what do you mean by complete kit?? like springs that kinda stuff. and as far as the tune, what would they do like send something with the cam ( tune) so that i can go to a local tuner around me? im trying to get this done the cheapest way possible so if anybody knows of a package that has the c cam longtubes and a stall please let me know. would i be better off just not getting the tune from hpe and getting everything i need and paying my tuner for it?

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Sleepy said:
Hpe's special of 1500 included install and complete kit. Little more than 1000. But also included tune.
Let's see.
Forum supporter...
Package for cam and tune...
Experience installing in GTO...

Where do I sign up :turbonaug

I somehow have fallen in love with this video. Whether at work or home, if I want to just slip away and think about something else a bit, I just watch this video.

I still haven't decided if I will do the S-CAM or the C-CAM. With an M6, I don't have to worry about the stall converter, and will probably want to go ahead and install LT's at the same time. All I have to decide if I want bad or badder.

Gerry

·
Registered
199 Posts
Worm Boy said:
You will need to install the converter before or at the same time as the cam if you go with something like our "C" or "S" cam. Precision Industries converters retail for $795 and we charge $300 to install them.

Steven Fereday
Horsepower Engineering
281-448-1300
Thats a GREAT price for install:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
ihaterice said:
couple of things what do you mean by complete kit?? like springs that kinda stuff. and as far as the tune, what would they do like send something with the cam ( tune) so that i can go to a local tuner around me? im trying to get this done the cheapest way possible so if anybody knows of a package that has the c cam longtubes and a stall please let me know. would i be better off just not getting the tune from hpe and getting everything i need and paying my tuner for it?
Find a speed shop around your area, prefferably(?sp) a sponsor on this site, tell them what you wan,t ask them for a price, a rough idea would be:
cam package(includes springs,pushrods,retainers) @800
lt headers @1200+coating if you want([email protected])
trans cooler @75
converter @800
plus install can vary but i would estimate @1300, if you go 400headers,400stall,75 cooler,and cam i guess would be @500, if you get it all done at once maybe the shop would knock a few bucks off...then get the shop to dyno tune the package which would be @300-400 avg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts