LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys. I have an 05 A4. I’m interested in getting the HPE C cam. I have a few questions for others with cammed A4's.

1- After I have the cam installed, how will my car drive untuned? I know that you aren’t supposed to drive the car hard until it tuned but how will it drive if I baby it to my tuner?

2- I’m also going to be installing a new torque converter as well. I know when you add a new torque converter you will start to slip a little. How bearable will it be until I get it tuned?

3- Do I have to worry about setting of any SES lights from the cam and or stall installation?

4- How difficult is it to install a B&M tranny cooler?

Thanks for the help.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
05gtodriver said:
Hello Guys. I have an 05 A4. I’m interested in getting the HPE C cam. I have a few questions for others with cammed A4's.

1- After I have the cam installed, how will my car drive untuned? I know that you aren’t supposed to drive the car hard until it tuned but how will it drive if I baby it to my tuner?

2- I’m also going to be installing a new torque converter as well. I know when you add a new torque converter you will start to slip a little. How bearable will it be until I get it tuned?

3- Do I have to worry about setting of any SES lights from the cam and or stall installation?

4- How difficult is it to install a B&M tranny cooler?

Thanks for the help.
I dont have an A4 but have been involved with several of our local cam'd A4s. We have some with S and C cams.
1. More then likely it will not idle without the tune when in gear. Do NOT get on it until its tuned. Get it tuned as soon as you can.

2. You will need at least a 3200 stall. This wont change from before to after the tune. What will change is your wot shift points. Which you wont see anyways because you wont be on it full throttle.

3. It might set a light. Some do some dont.

4. Cant answer this one but looking at the installs, they dont look too hard.

Now for my questions. 1 When you say baby it to yout tuner. How far of a drive?

2 What other mods do you have so far. What I can tell you is if you dont already have Long Tube headers, forget about the cam until you do. The S and C cams need way more exhaust flow then the stock manifolds can flow. It chokes off the cam and makes for a tuning nightmare. You will leave 30-40 rwhp on the table and will not be able to get to your peak hp rpms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Baaa. Thanks for responding.

My tuner is about 20 mi from me. Mostly highway driving. My mods are in my signature. I have the basic mods although I’m going to get some extra supporting things.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
05gtodriver said:
Hello Baaa. Thanks for responding.

My tuner is about 20 mi from me. Mostly highway driving. My mods are in my signature. I have the basic mods although I’m going to get some extra supporting things.

Thanks again for the info.
You should be good to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Baaa I'm excited. I wonder how much rwhp I should expect. The ported tb and ported fast should help a bit once i get them.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
05gtodriver said:
Thanks Baaa I'm excited. I wonder how much rwhp I should expect. The ported tb and ported fast should help a bit once i get them.
We have guys running well over 400rwhp locally on A4s. 435-450ish with the M6s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's cool. I should have some decent numbers.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
05gtodriver said:
That's cool. I should have some decent numbers.
If your tuner is good, yes you should. We've had the best luck with the Patriot Gold Springs with these cams as well. FYI

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Jbss71 said:
you think its that much ?
We have seen that much twice now on both Ls1s and Ls2s. After the headers it was back up to where the others are. Tuning above 6k was almost non existant. Horrible detonation.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Baaa said:
We have seen that much twice now on both Ls1s and Ls2s. After the headers it was back up to where the others are. Tuning above 6k was almost non existant. Horrible detonation.
hmm, mine was fine till 7,000 and it made 380 (a4 c cam) . so not only do i get some power but more room for timing :ftw:

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Jbss71 said:
hmm, mine was fine till 7,000 and it made 380 (a4 c cam) . so not only do i get some power but more room for timing :ftw:
Our 05 A4s with C cam and stall with lt headers and exhaust are all doing 405-415 on the Mustang Dyno. One just did 430.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Baaa said:
Our 05 A4s with C cam and stall with lt headers and exhaust are all doing 405-415 on the Mustang Dyno. One just did 430.
hmm but them we have c cam sticks in my area doing 440 with some more small mods on a dynojet hmm.

whatever lol, i'll be over 410 for sure

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Jbss71 said:
hmm but them we have c cam sticks in my area doing 440 with some more small mods on a dynojet hmm.

whatever lol, i'll be over 410 for sure
Yeah the D jets usually read about 5-7% higher here anyways. Our tuner has a D jet and Mustang side by side and his is 7% difference. Yeah with LT headers you'll be over 400 easily and most likely higher then that. Enjoy!!!! Cams are fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts