LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
J S
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys and gals. I just bought a 2004 GTO and I want to put an HSV Monero front bumper on it.

Does anyone know if anyone sells these in the states? or does anyone have an HSV bumper that they want to part with?

Attached is a pisture of what I'm looking for.

I've found a couple in Australia, but they've all been pretty beat up. (bad scratches, cracks, etc.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
JHP can get you one (http://www.jhp.com.au <-they are a sponsor on the left), but it won't be cheap. HSV maintains exclusivity on their parts/you usually need a VIN number in order to get ahold of a new HSV part...

Be aware you will also need to change out your headlights. Flashpoint and HTRDLNCN have done it already...

·
J S
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front headlights need to be changed? I thought it's a retro fit.

Thanks for the FYI on JHP.

·
J S
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price isn't as much as an issue as convincing my wife that a better looking front bumper justifies $3k. I'll just pull the "I pay the bills" trump card and deal with not getting any for a week or so.

I've sent an email to JHP and waiting to hear back on ordering info. Thanx for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
Yeah you have to swap to older style headlights (VT series), and it's better to actually take both your stock ones and the older ones apart and just use the front half and keep the rear half of the stockers.

That way they will be plug and play and the beam pattern would be correct for the US. It's a pain to do but worth it.

You still have to splice the foglights, no way around that (I used some weather resistant quick disconnects with heat shrink already on them.) At least the foglight/turnsignal part of the harness is seperate from the main harness unlike the headlights. The clips on that fog light harness do not fit also, so have some zipties to attach it to the lower grilles at the bottom.

All the front mounting brackets have to be swapped out also. The front bumper styrofoam won't fit without cutting it.

What else...you really should have the fender turn signals to replace the badges...because you loose the ones on the bumper...

The whole thing from start to finish took me about 8 hours, remove everything, wiring, headlight mods, install everything. That was the first time I did any of that though.

·
J S
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx Flashpoint. It's nice to know what I'm getting into instead of guessing. I had assumed that it was a direct bolt on. How different are the front halfs of the HSV headlights? What are the differences? I have body work experience and wouldn't be afraid to try to make the Pontiac lights work, depending on the differences. What material is the HSV bar made of? This would also dictate how easily it could be modified.

Sharp car, by the way.

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
completely different curves in the headlights and they stick out further.
By the way the normal Monaro bumper (non HSV ) uses the stock GTO headlights and is about 1/4 the price if you like that one as well..

·
J S
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The HSV is the only one that interests me. Decisions now, take the risk and try modifing the HSV bumper to fit the GTO headlights or just bite the bullet and do it the right way by using the HSV headlights. Do you know if the HSV bumper made out of plastic or composit fiberglass? This would help me make the decision.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
J S said:
Do you know if the HSV bumper made out of plastic or composit fiberglass? This would help me make the decision.
Hi J S

The thing with HSV, that even though they maintain a premium, they do also use quality materials for their products. HSV do NOT use fiberglass for anything.

Regards,
Mathew.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
isn't VZ monaro bumper bar set up for GTO style headlights?

was about to do HSV body kit couple years ago; was just too much cash.

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
J S said:
The HSV is the only one that interests me. Decisions now, take the risk and try modifing the HSV bumper to fit the GTO headlights or just bite the bullet and do it the right way by using the HSV headlights. Do you know if the HSV bumper made out of plastic or composit fiberglass? This would help me make the decision.
Molded plastic and honestly I can see no way you could rework it to use the stock headlights without almost making a new bumper..You can also not use the HSV lights,,like was posted above you have to use the lens fromthe HSV light grafted on to the stock headlamp assembly.. HSV lights are made to illuminate the wrong side of the street (well wrong for US anyways)

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I should rephrase, the VZ HSV coupe GTO front bar uses pontiac GTO style headlight assemblies? Not the round VT ones?

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
VZ HSV GTO front bar is the same as the VY and earlier HSV GTO front bar... is the same rounded VT style headlamps.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
GMH GTO said:
I should rephrase, the VZ HSV coupe GTO front bar uses pontiac GTO style headlight assemblies? Not the round VT ones?

as jonlee said no, it doesn't they kept the old lights,much easier to use the same bumper which they already had molds for and have holden use the older main harness in the cars sent to HSV.

Besides the parking lamp (separate light on the VZ monaro), which it is not on the HSV, the older ones have them in the headlamp housing, under the high beam.

They would have to totally redesign the HSV front to use the VZ headlights, that don't include a parking lamp, as they would need to add another lamp like holden did.

The HSV bumper and pontiac bumper are so different It is impossible to modify it to fit the stock lamps and make it look right.

Before

After

yes I flipped the first pic as the car was facing the wrong way.... they arn't the exact same size either... but the difference in person is much more obivous then in pics.

A bunch of pics showing the actual headlamps only compared in this thread:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69800

·
J S
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been talking to Geoff at JHP. Everyone seems to agree that there is no way to modify the HSV CV8 bumper enough to make the GTO headlamps work. So, going to have to do the headlamp conversion. Nice link above for the how to on interchanging the headlamps. Will definitely come in handy if/when I do the conversion. I'm having a tough time getting over the sticker shock of the HSV conversion, though. Geoff's also looking into the fitment of the older HSV GTS Sedan front bumper and pricing. This might be another option.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:
http://www.jhp.com.au/enlarge.php?image=img/products/sedan/body_kits/gt-gts9-h.jpg[/IMG]

I got a "Hey man, is that a G6?" at the gas station last night. That's even more motivation to get the front end done. What a slap in the face that was!

Thanx for all the info.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
J S said:
I've been talking to Geoff at JHP. Everyone seems to agree that there is no way to modify the HSV CV8 bumper enough to make the GTO headlamps work. So, going to have to do the headlamp conversion. Nice link above for the how to on interchanging the headlamps. Will definitely come in handy if/when I do the conversion. I'm having a tough time getting over the sticker shock of the HSV conversion, though. Geoff's also looking into the fitment of the older HSV GTS Sedan front bumper and pricing. This might be another option.

I got a "Hey man, is that a G6?" at the gas station last night. That's even more motivation to get the front end done. What a slap in the face that was!

Thanx for all the info.

Well the sedan would make you the first (at least on this site) with it. As there are now 3 complete HSV GTO front end conversions....all red (2 torrid, 1 pulse) The cost at least is keeping us few...instead of the i don't know how many with the VZ CV8 conversion.

There are aftermarket headlights available in Oz, less then $200 for both, instead of about $600 for the OEM's, no guarantee they will fit with the stock US backside as I have no clue if the clip positions are the same, and they only come in all black or all chrome, not black trim with chrome rings like OEM.

Aftermarket fogs would work also, but custom brackets would be needed to be made.

·
Don't drink the Kool-Aid...
2,889 Posts
J S said:
Geoff's also looking into the fitment of the older HSV GTS Sedan front bumper and pricing. This might be another option.

Thanx for all the info.
What's the advantage of doing the GTS front bar? Still have to do open headlight surgery!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts