LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my first roundtrip to work (about 400 miles), I've decided that the stock HU has to go!

I want to install my Alpine 7894 with the XM reciever and PAC SWI X (that was in my Formula) into the GTO.

I have found the dash insert, but have had no luck in finding a plug and play wiring harness. Miscreant told me about the '96 and up VW harness, but said it needs a lot of plug modification to work (not that I am afraid of that, it'd just be easier to get a Metra style harness with all of the right color codes for the Alpine and that doesn't require too much Dremel time).

Eddie from installer.com said he thinks the GTO might need the GMRC-01 adapter for the door chimes and stuff to work. (?) Thoughts?

Are there any other issues with the install?

FWIW, I've installed an aftermarket HU in every car I've owned since 1983, so I am fairly experienced with this. The Formula was the first one where I used a wiring harness adapter, and I am HOOKED! The original install took about an hour (not inclusding programming the PAC! ;) ), and when I traded the car, it took me 15 minutes (if that) to take the Alpine HU out and put the stocker back in the dash.

BTW, I really like the car..... I drive 185 miles each way to work every week, on mostly rural back roads. The GTO is a huge upgrade in comfort, ride and handling compared to the '01 Formula it replaced.

The only real complaints I have are the same as everyone else. The MPH light has to go, the shifter (or at least the rubber insulated handle) has to go, and the low beams need to be aimed up......a LOT. I come home late at night and it is very DARK on most of these back roads (exacerbating the MPH light brightness as well!). The low beams are adjusted dangerously low. The high beams are fine though.

I also need to put a guard over or move the window switches. They are right where I rest my hand as I'm driving, and I must have opened the windows 10 times on the drive to work!

Other than these little items, I am happy with the car. I haven't really gotten into it yet (475 miles total), but it doesn't feel as fast as my Formula in the SOP....... It might just be that it is so smooth in comparison.....

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ttt

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bueller...... Bueller. Has anybody found a suitable wiring harness for this car? I can't be the only one that want to change out the head unit without chopping up the wiring?

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
The MPH light's brightness can be adjusted downward by the dealer... search these forums for the TSB (came out in early September). Likewise, there are posts about adjusting the low-beam headlights.

Sorry I can't help with the wiring harness issue...

--Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts