LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has any opinions on installing and/or using a Hyper Ground or Hyper Voltage System on your GTO, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
haha, go search through my350z.com. One company tried to sell them to that community and after one got shipped to a forum member and he took it apart there was plenty of laughter.

Snake Oil :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Where did you see the snake oil posts? I just looked through that site, searched for Hyper Ground and looked at 10 random posts and only found positive feedback, including a link to a Dyno Test that Car Audio Magazine published showing HP increases.

If you don't mind PM-ing me the links, I would really like to read the negaitive posts.

Thanks again!

Jim

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Jim -

After reading through the 350z forum I find that most people are absolutely sure the grounding kits do something for them. Apparently, the same manufacturer that makes the kit you sell makes the Nissan 350z OE grounding kit that is sold as an option in Japan.

Now, that said, I am concerned about the Hyper Voltage gadget. It sounds like it does similar things as the Direct Power System that is talked about on 350z. They found it to be a complete scam after taking one apart and finding 3 wire loops and a 20-amp blade fuse inside coated in foil and epoxy. See this link. I'm not THAT concerned as this company seems pretty reputable but...Have you taken one of those things apart yet by chance? :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not have any reason to take one apart, as I have had only happy customers. However, if an issue comes up, I will happily crack one open immediately. Hey, I am just a research hound, looking for all opinions.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
the grouding wires help seemed to usually help them. They have a pretty fancy serial comm link between all components of the drivetrain and sensors.

the box with the 2 wires coming out of it "hyper voltage system" is a bunch of junk.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I've personaly made my own "hyper ground" kit for my last vehicle using high grade car audio connectors and wires. Though not much cheeper than a pre-assembled vehicle specific kit, it proved to help at least a bit. I'd say on most cars it could probably increase overall performance and quite possibly fuel mileage by a few percent at best. Not bad for the money and little time spent IMO.

As for voltage things, the best method to help keep voltage stable and supply constant current during power demand spikes is using a high capacity, high current car audio capacitors. Most can be had for under $100 and are just about the size of two soda cans stacked. They prove necessary in high power car audio systems and I dont doubt on a high power engine with complex electronics that it would be good for that use as well. No snake oil there... (IE: A charged 1 farad capacitor has enough juice to shock the hell out of you if not worse. It can easily start a fire if shorted, dont ask how I know this.)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
If the hyper voltage thing does what it claims to, it sounds like a large capacitor, similar to what's used on high power audio amps.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Ouch, thats harsh ownage! Talk about scam, it is just a fuse, some wire and a box full of epoxy.

Here is how I see it. If it is that simple yet makes that much of a difference, why doesnt it come on new vehicles to begin with?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CSiJason said:
Here is how I see it. If it is that simple yet makes that much of a difference, why doesnt it come on new vehicles to begin with?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I wish I'd thought of it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LiqTenExp said:
the box with the 2 wires coming out of it "hyper voltage system" is a bunch of junk.
Thanks again for the details. This is the type of valuable feedback that led me to test Throttle Body Spacers, and subsequently proved their lack of creating HP on the dyno. (Which is why we no longer sell them.)

Are you specifically referring to the Sun Automotive product? I did not see anything about Sun in the 350Z link. Again, I saw a positive post about the Sun product and some flaming of a different product called DPS.

Have you tested the product from Sun Automotive? Does the product actually stabilize the voltage? If so, what year make and model vehicle, and what kind of meter did you use to measure voltage? Also, did you dyno and, if so, what modle Dyno was it and what were the results? If you have not tested the Sun product, what happened to you to make you say that it is junk?

Thanks again for the info!

Jim

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Gravana Jim said:
Thanks again for the details. This is the type of valuable feedback that led me to test Throttle Body Spacers, and subsequently proved their lack of creating HP on the dyno. (Which is why we no longer sell them.)

Are you specifically referring to the Sun Automotive product? I did not see anything about Sun in the 350Z link. Again, I saw a positive post about the Sun product and some flaming of a different product called DPS.

Have you tested the product from Sun Automotive? Does the product actually stabilize the voltage? If so, what year make and model vehicle, and what kind of meter did you use to measure voltage? Also, did you dyno and, if so, what modle Dyno was it and what were the results? If you have not tested the Sun product, what happened to you to make you say that it is junk?

Thanks again for the info!

Jim
Jim,
If its a 2 terminal device, virtually ALL it could be would be a capacitor. A three or four terminal device could possibly be a regulator or even a synthetic supply like the Jacobs, but those are typically used for specific applications, predominantly providing a regulated rail for stereo amplifiers.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
mistermike said:
Jim,
If its a 2 terminal device, virtually ALL it could be would be a capacitor. A three or four terminal device could possibly be a regulator or even a synthetic supply like the Jacobs, but those are typically used for specific applications, predominantly providing a regulated rail for stereo amplifiers.
My thought when I initially read it was that it was a capacitor. That was the same feeling I got when I read about the DPS on my350z.com (the thing I posted about above). If it is a capacitor, however, the cost is nowhere near worthwhile. I don't think you'd fit a 1/2 farad cap in a box that small, knowing how physically big the audio caps get (they weigh several pounds and are 8-12 inches tall for 1/2 - 1 farad capacities). I think I'll stick to just getting the ground wires unless I can see some independently verified data or the schematics of one. :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I was just screwing around on Google and saw this:

SpeedHawaii.com said:
Sun Automobile

Sun Auto is the maker of the only true power-making grounding wires on the market, Hyper Ground. Also check out their Hyper Voltage System, a capacitor that is attached to the battery and ensures that your electrical system is always running at full juice.
From this page

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Hey Jim,

If you would be willing to donate one of these, being and EE and CE I would perform the same tests and a little beyond that they did at my350z on this one. Also I would have to open it up of course :) I am just afraid that its the same thing, I hate it when a vendor is told a product is supposed to do something that it can't.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LiqTenExp - If you are willing to dyno test it on the GTO, I will send one out to test. I found several companies online that have run dyno tests on the product, but none on a GTO. If you don't have dyno access, I have some dyno time scheduled for the GTO and Cobalt after the SEMA show. I can squeeze it in on both cars at that time.

The dyno numbers (good or bad) will help put the product in it's place. If it is of no value, I won't waste any time pulling the product out of the mix.

Hey, I used to sell aftermarket spark plugs (Platinum bosch, Split-fire, etc.) until I dyno tested them against stock...

Thanks again to everyone for all of the info. As I mentioned, I have had no customer complaints about the Sun Products I have sold. However, I do like to get as much feedback as possible on all products, especially if someone has experienced a problem with it.

Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts