LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i want to build a carputer for the gto and i want it to include these functions:

FLushmounted touchscreen in place of stock HU.
Navigation
MP3
Video
is there a way to integrate FM reception into the computer?
and will the steering wheel controls work with the PAC integrator?

also, it would be great for someone to fabricate a bracket to hold this thing up top where the gauge pod goes

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
You can do anything with the right amount of $$$$, good luck.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I started a project like that years ago. Spent months researching just the right motherboard and enclosure, searched for a small VGA display that would run on 12 volts (NTSC sucks), wondered how I was going to power and input the sucker, etc., etc., etc.
After all was said and done, I got a sub-notebook (Compaq EVO N200), dock, and put it on a Jotto desk. The radio stands alone. If I wanted to get fancy and run MP3's, it would be no big deal to run the audio out into an FM modulator. The whole shebang on ebay cost less than most dedicated SATNAV only units and is easier to see and operate and I can play solitaire while speeding through school zones yapping on my cell phone.

·
Registered
607 Posts
http://www.mp3car.com/ lots of good info there.

Personally, I wanted to do a carputer. After reasearching, I wasn't convinced I could get a good enough signal out of even the highest end sound card to hook up to high end amps. The sound cards I found (in the last 3 months) all had ~1-2 volt outputs. This limits your pre-amp signal ramp and gives you really poor control over your volume levels. If you bought a head unit that could take a line in (nakamichi) and then control your amp preouts, you could achieve clean audio. This bumped up the cost far too much, so I went w/ the kenwood solutions which also game me satellite.

If you aren't picky about your audio quality there are many good solutions at many different price points. Here is a link to some pre-built systems that have everything you need: http://www.carcpu.com/elite_system.htm

In any case, good luck !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts