·
596whp/553wtq @ 6.5psi
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bs:

·
Registered
408 Posts
That sucks!!! I heard of cross drilled rotors doing that. Did this happen quickly? :( Did you contact Baer to see if they would replace them?

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,952 Posts
Just a guess. Hard day at the track followed by a puddle. Or panic stop followed by a puddle.

This is why I recomend slotted only, unless there are brake ducts on the car. And I never recomend drilled and slotted, just looses too much contact area and thermal mass.

Not sure what BAER's waranty is, but at least all you need is the ring and a new set of grade 10 bolts and nuts. Good Luck and carefully check the other one, with a magnifing glass if possible.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Having trouble with mine also, not as bad as your problem though. Replacing the front pads after just a few months of service. Steering shakes (under braking) like a dog shittin' razor blades. When I contacted Baer because the vendor here (guess who) wouldn't take care of the problem they told me to "re-season" the brakes. Anyone got a track they're not using so I can do this?

JET

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
i havent seen that happen in along time

you gotta be hard on your brakes , and there might have been a problem related to that bolt where the rotor split , did the crack go through both surfaces or just the 1 ?

have you contacted baer ?

·
596whp/553wtq @ 6.5psi
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news!

Phil,

I just got off the phone with BAER. They are going to send you rotors at no charge. I thing I wrote down you hone number incorrectly. I have 2 Phil Wagners in New York that I sold GTO stuff to. Can you send me your correct phone and your shipping address. I will send that to Rick at BAER brakes. Thanks for your patience.

Mike

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
s/c'd cav said:
...you gotta be hard on your brakes , and there might have been a problem related to that bolt where the rotor split...
This sort of cracking can occur on cars driven "normally", too. It's because of that damn cross-drilling. Note the cross-drilled hole in the lower portion of the pic. Eventually, the same thing would happen at that location - the crack would propogate the diameter of the rotor.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
i wasnt saying the cracking doesnt happen , but its rare now adays that it happens though , ive got alot of friends with baer brakes , and ive got wilwood on my cav , and stock size drilled on the g/fs cav , and ive yet to see any crack unless under sever conditions

granted alot of the cars my friends have are about 400lbs lighter than the gto

might be a good reason to get their 14" brakes and not stock or 13" rotors

·
Registered
276 Posts
JusticePete said:
Holes are for show.
What he said. For the street dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont need it.

·
Who me, no not me...
10,320 Posts
MLegere said:
What he said. For the street dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont need it.

For that matter deffinitely don't do it at the track. I've been down right cruel to my factory 2005 brakes...I mean horrible. I did quite a few 150+ runs to 35 mph back to back on a track and I eventually boiled the brake fluid and crystlalized the stock pads. New pads and some extreme flushing and I'm back in business on the same stock rotors....figure that one out.

I'll say it again, I used to warp rotors in 1000 miles until I figured out one important step. Properly torque the wheels using a torque wrench at about 90lbs.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,952 Posts
Proper torque spec is 100 lbs-ft.

ALso torqueing the wheels did not cause the above problem. Heat and stress risers did. I highly recomend that nobody buy drilled rotors, slotted is the way to go all around. Track or street.

None of this fixes the man's problem above. Glad to see that Baer is helping out, maybe you should talk them into slotted only rotors. That's what I have.

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts

·
Hold on, we're goin for broke
1,499 Posts
Good pic there is two more cracks on drilled parts of the rotor one right below it and the bottom. But thats cool that you got it taken care of.

·
Wanted: engine to match
161 Posts
Awhile back there was a big rash of Baers on GTOs cracking. Although it did happen mostly to the drilled rotors, some slotted, and at least one set of solids ended up cracking. Thats what kept me from getting them. I still want brakes, but I don't know what to get now, since most setups are so expensive.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I live in West Michigan which is a center for Tier 1 automotive suppliers. In the quest to lower costs for OE customers they are all searching for low cost Asian manufacturing sources. The quality of parts coming from these partners will range from perfect to junk. When the selected partners makes the part life is good. When the selected partner farms out the work to enhance their profit -- quality takes a massive dump. The Tier 1 supplier blows a gasket, the Asian partner does it right -- for a while -- then the cycle repeats.

When a quality vendor has issues this opposite of the Demming Cycle of Quality (Plan, Do, Check, Act is replaced by Plan, Do, Panic, Check, Plan Do Panic...) frequently seems to be the source. THIS IS GENERAL FYI AND MAY OR MAY NOT APPLY HERE. It is however, a primary topic of conversation when Tier 1 suppliers gather together.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts