LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On I-70 in MD. I was cruising around 80-85 and he came up quick. As soon as he passed me, I got over quick and dropped into 4th and nailed it. I heard that 10cyl growl over my LS1 growl. He must have seen the frontend jump when I hit it b/c he took off. He was pulling on me more slowly but steadily than I expected (about a car length) from about 90-115 when he backed off. I got back over slowed down and he continued on his way.

Vipers are cool.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Vipers are strong. Do you know what year and was it a coupe or vert?

Doc

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
VigR8 -- what mods u got?

·
Odd Man Out
276 Posts
You're a braver man than me. I came across a Viper a few weeks ago on the freeway, but decided not to waste his time (my GTO is stock). Not that I mind losing, but I don't want to be like the Civics that pull up next to my GTO, challenging cars I know I can't come close to beating. If I'm gonna pick a fight with someone, I want to at least feel I have a chance of staying with them.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grown Man said:
You're a braver man than me. I came across a Viper a few weeks ago on the freeway, but decided not to waste his time (my GTO is stock). Not that I mind losing, but I don't want to be like the Civics that pull up next to my GTO, challenging cars I know I can't come close to beating. If I'm gonna pick a fight with someone, I want to at least feel I have a chance of staying with them.
Maybe they really like your car and want to see what it'll do. That's what I was thinking when I came across the Viper the other day.

As far as mods, my car is bone stock. I've only had it a cpl weeks now. The Viper was a 'vert. Now I don't know how hard he got on it or what gear he was in, but I was right at the sweet spot when I hit it. He must have seen my front end pop up then he hit. He was playing with me, no contest. BUt how can you resist, I'm sure he get it all the time.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Is it just me, or do others think the sound of the V10 sounds like a$$?

Anyway, I encountered one back in '99 with the Z28 after I had built the motor. I ran up to 165 and had about a car and a half to two car lengths on him. Needless to say, he was more than shocked.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

Anyway, I encountered one back in '99 with the Z28 after I had built the motor. I ran up to 165 and had about a car and a half to two car lengths on him. Needless to say, he was more than shocked.
Yep. When the MAFB used to have our annual VVF (Vettes, Vipers and F-Body) Shootouts, they just sounded awful. And beating them in a slow LT1 F-Body was too much for some of them :gr_jest:

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

No, you're right, they do sound like A$$!

Doc

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
I know a couple of guys with late model Vettes and one guy with a Viper. Good guys. They like to mix it up but say it rarely happens because most car guys know they'll get their @$$e$ handed to them. From what they say, they typically get challenged by Porsches, Evos, STis and the occasional SRT-4. Our cars are such sleepers that I rarely get challenged. I recently had a ZX3 challenge me and I romped him. The others that try $h!t are usually the G35s, the Maximas or, god help them, the Accord V6s or the new TLs. :gr_jest:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts