LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok as I was feeling adventurous and had some free time at the shop today, I took the console apart to see if the upper shafts I had made up for the Kirban I had in my Z06 would fit the GTO shifter since I saw in the other thread (http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648)that they are a two piece design with the upper being held on with two bolts..... just like the Kirban.

Well guess what.....it fits perfectly!!!!

Take a close look at the last pic. The piece on the right is what I made up. Its a stainless bolt that I cut the head off of, machined flat and drilled two holes in. Not the easiest thing to do in the world unless you have access to a machine shop, those of you that have worked with stainless know what I mean. The OEM shaft is 6.25" while the one I made is only 4". What I would like to do is make up another one about an inch longer. It feels really nice but personally I would like it an inch longer.

The knob is an MGW Pistol Grip knob for a Corvette, also from my Z06.

http://www.mgwltd.com/corvette_pistol_grip_knob.html

You can see by the pics here what the final product looks like. Sorry for the low quality but it was 10:30 PM when I took them and light is really scarce in my driveway so the auto focus on the camera didn’t give up the best quality pic.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
wow, that is super cooler. great job

so this just shortens the throw, but does not change the "feel" right?

how mucher does the shifting feel over stock?

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In theory it reduces the throw only because the length of the stick is shorter, it doesnt feel like a short throw shifter at all. The throws do feel a bit shorter but still way too long for me. I really cant wait for the Kirban shifter to hit the street. But in the mean time this will do. Still feels the same as stock if not a little better and not AS sloppy, but still far from what I was used to in the Z06 with the Kirban.

This excersize was mainly just to get a shorter stick in there and use my pistol grip knob.

·
duh
1,214 Posts
Nice :cool:

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Shag Finger said:
It feels really nice but personally I would like it an inch longer.
I know the feeling my brother, I know the feeling...... :gr_jest:

Seriously, I can't wait to install my short shifter kit this winter. It actually raises the stock shifter knob 1 inch (are you jealous???) which means that I get the best bang for the buck:

The throws are about 45% shorter and more compact and at the same time, as my right hand leaves the steering wheel, it will find the stock shifter knob much faster because it is higher.

When you lower the shifter knob, you almost have to "reach" for it as you are shifting instead of a natural muscle memory type reaction.

Very cool idea though. I really like the design of the stock shifter, except it shifts like a damned semi truck instead of a sports/muscle car. But that will be remedied soon.....

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
desertgoat said:
I know the feeling my brother, I know the feeling...... :gr_jest:

Seriously, I can't wait to install my short shifter kit this winter. It actually raises the stock shifter knob 1 inch (are you jealous???) which means that I get the best bang for the buck:

The throws are about 45% shorter and more compact and at the same time, as my right hand leaves the steering wheel, it will find the stock shifter knob much faster because it is higher.

When you lower the shifter knob, you almost have to "reach" for it as you are shifting instead of a natural muscle memory type reaction.

Very cool idea though. I really like the design of the stock shifter, except it shifts like a damned semi truck instead of a sports/muscle car. But that will be remedied soon.....
To each his own, but personally, my hand is always on the shifter during drag racing, it does not go back to the steering wheel. And when on the street its resting on the console right next to it.... I rarely have two hands on the wheel. But that is just how I drive. To be honest, you are the first person ever that I have heard of that wants to make their shifter taller, but again, to each his own and that is what makes it all go round :cool:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Thats a sharp shift knob. I would have found a way to save that too. I'm yet another guy waiting patiently for some aftermarket shifters. I will say the OE isn't bad and i'm pretty comfortable with it but i think we can do better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts