LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some running around to do and I put on 15 miles. When I got home I decided to check my trans fluid and it was low. It was at the cold line on the stick. I poured some fluid in it and put almost a whole quart into it. As I was filling it, I would stop and cycle the trans through all the gears then add some more as it needed it.

So if you have an A4 you might want to double check the trans fluid when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
I had some running around to do and I put on 15 miles. When I got home I decided to check my trans fluid and it was low. It was at the cold line on the stick. I poured some fluid in it and put almost a whole quart into it. As I was filling it, I would stop and cycle the trans through all the gears then add some more as it needed it.

So if you have an A4 you might want to double check the trans fluid when you get a chance.
Checked it today during oil change And its right on the mark.

3600 miles and third oil change.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
When you said "cold line on the stick", I said to myself, "STICK? WHAT STICK?"... then I read on and see you have the A4. Whew! Scary! I thought I'd been robbed of a dip stick! :D

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I hate to make this post, 'cause my counter is at 666... bahwahahahahaha (evil laugh)

Anyway, for the M6 owners, this is a topic of some debate. Most folks say to check the tranny fluid level at the "fill hole" on the side of the tranny. (You'll have to lift the car and get under there so you can remove the "fill hole plug". BE SAFE!) A proper fluid level should reach the bottom of the "fill hole".

Other folks are saying to check the tranny fluid level at the "reverse gear sensing switch hole". Again, you'll have to get under the car to do this. What's confusing about this is that the fluid would have to be ABOVE the "fill hole" to reach this level.

I defer to those with a Service Manual (Old Goat, where are you?) for some "official" information.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
All Hail The Manual!

FLORIT said:
Most folks say to check the tranny fluid level at the "fill hole" on the side of the tranny. (You'll have to lift the car and get under there so you can remove the "fill hole plug". BE SAFE!) A proper fluid level should reach the bottom of the "fill hole".
Other folks are saying to check the tranny fluid level at the "reverse gear sensing switch hole". Again, you'll have to get under the car to do this. What's confusing about this is that the fluid would have to be ABOVE the "fill hole" to reach this level.I defer to those with a Service Manual (Old Goat, where are you?) for some "official" information.
All Hail the Great Wizard of Helms!
(Pay no attention to that Old Goat behind the curtain)... :sneaky:

The 'Word' according to the Wizard of Helms: Volume 2,
Checking the Fluid Level, page 7-39:

Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the backup lamp switch.
Clean any dirt from around the backup lamp switch area.
Remove the backup lamp switch.
Check that the transmission fluid level is even with the bottom of the fill / backup lamp switch hole.
Add Dexron III transmission fluid if necessary.
Install the transmission backup lamp switch in the transmission.
Tighten to 28 Nm (21 lbft).
Connect the backup lamp switch electrical connector to the backup lamp switch.
Lower the vehicle.
Ta Da!... :D

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Well, I'll be dipped... from that transcript it appears to me that the "fill / backup lamp switch hole"... is the SAME DAMN HOLE. Well, duh. LOL

BTW, I'm doing an oil change this weekend, so I'll be sure to check the tranny fluid, too. I suppose it is obvious that the vehicle should be LEVEL when making this check... right? :D

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Level

FLORIT said:
Well, I'll be dipped... from that transcript it appears to me that the "fill / backup lamp switch hole"... is the SAME DAMN HOLE. Well, duh. LOL

BTW, I'm doing an oil change this weekend, so I'll be sure to check the tranny fluid, too. I suppose it is obvious that the vehicle should be LEVEL when making this check... right? :D
So far, nothing about this car has been obvious... :D But yes, level is the way to go, or at least as level as you can get safely. Now Florit, I said level first, not GET leveled.. :drink: :drink: :drink:

There is a separate procedure for a drain and re-fill, but we'll save that for later... ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
A4 Tranny fluid level on stick full. 880 mi. Goat was cold , went through the motions of idle up/dn P-1 on the gears. OK so far. OLD Goat your alright. You sure know a lot
are you a GM mechanic??? Later, COS

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Shade Tree Hot Rod Mechanic

COSMO GUY said:
A4 Tranny fluid level on stick full. 880 mi. Goat was cold , went through the motions of idle up/dn P-1 on the gears. OK so far. OLD Goat your alright. You sure know a lot
are you a GM mechanic??? Later, COS
Just an old shade tree hot rod mechanic with 44 years of skinned knuckles and a secret.....ssshhhhh!....don't tell anyone.....I buy the Service Manuals for everything I have owned and actually read them. Makes me look smart. Actually, I'm about as dumb as a stick! Who else would buy cars and dump gazillions of dollars into them to turn around later fall in love with a different one and sell their true love at a whacking great loss? I have specialized tools for cars that I can never use again. My kids are probably going to drag them onto the PBS 'Antiques Road Show' when I'm gone, where some idiot will probably misidentify them as a long lost butter churn crank from the 1700's....Wait, some of them are from the 1700's....Hmmmm...no, no, this IS the butter churn crank...ah, well... :D

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Old Goat said:
Just an old shade tree hot rod mechanic with 44 years of skinned knuckles and a secret.....ssshhhhh!....don't tell anyone.....I buy the Service Manuals for everything I have owned and actually read them. Makes me look smart. Actually, I'm about as dumb as a stick! Who else would buy cars and dump gazillions of dollars into them to turn around later fall in love with a different one and sell their true love at a whacking great loss? I have specialized tools for cars that I can never use again. My kids are probably going to drag them onto the PBS 'Antiques Road Show' when I'm gone, where some idiot will probably misidentify them as a long lost butter churn crank from the 1700's....Wait, some of them are from the 1700's....Hmmmm...no, no, this IS the butter churn crank...ah, well... :D
LOL!!!

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
You should be going by the Fill plug. All the T56's I've been around since they have come out have gone by the Fill plug. Never heard of filling it by the switch. That doesn't make any sense. I'm guessing the Helm might be in error on this.

How much fluid does the owner's manual and Helm say it holds? Are they two different quantities? If they are the same, the Helm is wrong.

Its been quite a few years since I changed fluid in the T56 but I remember it being 4 qts or so.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Helms and Owners

Rob said:
You should be going by the Fill plug. All the T56's I've been around since they have come out have gone by the Fill plug. Never heard of filling it by the switch. That doesn't make any sense. I'm guessing the Helm might be in error on this.

How much fluid does the owner's manual and Helm say it holds? Are they two different quantities? If they are the same, the Helm is wrong.

Its been quite a few years since I changed fluid in the T56 but I remember it being 4 qts or so.
Guys and Gals, this is too important for you folks having M6's for me to dice words. I do not intend to offend. Please don't take it as such. Despite being proofread by two different people, and using slightly different terminology, (Helms - page 7-39, fill / backup lamp switch hole, Owner's - page 5-23, reverse light switch hole) the meaning is pretty plainly the same hole and level. Use any other hole as a reference point, and you are going to bork up your transmission. On fill volume/capacity, Owner's says 4.4 quarts, Helm's says 4.6 quarts....regardless, both say fill the transmission to the threads of the reverse or backup lamp switch hole.

When it comes to determining errata or relevance, I am ALWAYS going to defer to the $120.00 Helms Factory Service Manual the Dealer's use, not the free book they give away with the car. The Helms took many months longer than the Owner's to come out and has the freshest info. Any changes will come out in a Notice to Dealer's, like the new torque specs for the rear chassis biscuit center bolt for the Thunk fix. Whether it holds 4.4 or 4.6 quarts is irrelevant for the purpose of filling it the way BOTH books say.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Consumer assistance

I have an 'Urgent' request going in to Pontiac Customer Assistance requesting clarification on which book to defer to, and clarification on the M6 fill issue and will post the responses if and when they respond. Does anyone else think perhaps I should start a Helm's Manual thread? It would seem to be logical. We could all post questions and responses there. I am going to urge EVERYONE to order a set of the manuals in paperback, it's only $120.00, less than four tanks of gas. Just consider what you are risking. Additionally, the Helm's has pictures! A welcome aid for those like myself who might be intellectually challenged, and a confusion reducer when trying to determine EXACTLY what they are referring to. I will ask my Dealer to cc me any changes to the books, and enter them in mine for reference. If he will. That info would then be available to us all on request if interesting, and I would post forthwith if critical. All this presumes DY's kind permission, and the possibilty of making it a 'sticky' so we'd always have it. I think it would be far better than having such information helter-skelter through the threads. Your thoughts please?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Old Goat said:
...it's only $120.00, less than four tanks of gas.
"Only" $120.00 is a lot for me right now, 'cause I have irresponsibly dumped all my "liquid assets" into this GTO. On the other had, "less than four tanks of gas" sounds reasonable to me, so, guess what? I'm gonna order the Service Manual. "They saw me coming."

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I think a "Helm's Manual" thread would be fabulous!!! I will buy my own copy in the not-too-distant future but probably not within the next couple of months and the details to be gleaned therein are fabulous.

·
4,658 Posts
Old Goat, good idea. I have many Helm manuals from all the cars I've had. They are of incredible value and the info in them is great.

Thanks for taking the initiative in this. To most, it won't matter as the fluid will never get changed. But the ones that'll change it yearly or regularly, it will be important.

·
4,658 Posts
Also, maybe try Dal Slabaugh for the manuals. The last set I bought were for the WS6 and were only $75 in 96. They were over $100 if ordering directly from Helm. Maybe worth a shot to save some money :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts