LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got back from the strip, I suck. My first time was a 14.616 at 96.71 mph and a 2.337 60'..........When I got there and all through the night people were all around the GTO it was great. You would ahve thought I was a sports star or someting. My second run I did a 14.843 mph was 97.01 and a 2.256 60'..........third and last run was a 14.726 at 95.78mph and 2.259 60' and my best reaction time of .752

I felt terrible, people kept saying in the beginning "oh I want to see what that thing can do" I feel like I let the GTO name down............I got beat by a buick lesabre sedan which ran a 14.5...........What did I do wrong?
:(

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Pm

Dbluegoat said:
Well I just got back from the strip, I suck. My first time was a 14.616 at 96.71 mph and a 2.337 60'..........When I got there and all through the night people were all around the GTO it was great. You would ahve thought I was a sports star or someting. My second run I did a 14.843 mph was 97.01 and a 2.256 60'..........third and last run was a 14.726 at 95.78mph and 2.259 60' and my best reaction time of .752

I felt terrible, people kept saying in the beginning "oh I want to see what that thing can do" I feel like I let the GTO name down............I got beat by a buick lesabre sedan which ran a 14.5...........What did I do wrong?
:(
You have a PM.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Something is wrong, my 5500lbs 2500HD silverado ran 15s with a 6.0. Heck even the monaro with only 302hp has ran 14.2. I'd give it some brake torque on the stating line maybe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Comes down to the launch and putting some heat into the tyres. Usually when having a run, I dont feed the throttle, I stand on it. Leave it in 3rd with power on and trac control off, dont forget to swtich off the air con :cool:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Don't sweat it, dude. That was your first time drag racing, right? I know how you feel because I was real disappointed with my 1/8th mile times the one and only time I went to the track. But as these folks on the forum said, "ain't nuttin' but a thang."

You DID have fun, right? And the crowd DID like your car, right? Hey, there's two "wins" right there.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
The short times need a little more working on and that'll come with practice. But I'd be concerned with the low MPH. How did you shift? Leave it in D? or OD? or manually shift it? Was traction control left on? What RPM was it shifting at?

Need more details to figure it out for you. But, now that you've gone, it'll get better from here on in :)

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FLORIT said:
Don't sweat it, dude. That was your first time drag racing, right? I know how you feel because I was real disappointed with my 1/8th mile times the one and only time I went to the track. But as these folks on the forum said, "ain't nuttin' but a thang."

You DID have fun, right? And the crowd DID like your car, right? Hey, there's two "wins" right there.
Yep I did have a great time, my first time ever.....It was such a rush, I think I could become addicted to that. The GOAT was a star......its was like flys on Sh#$t the people were all over it. Thanks for the support, I just need to figure out how to get in the mid to low 13's.......I might have had too much Gas in the tank, it was a little over half. I think next time I should let some air out of tires too.
:thumbs: I am going back in about 3 weeks. :bubbrub

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rob said:
The short times need a little more working on and that'll come with practice. But I'd be concerned with the low MPH. How did you shift? Leave it in D? or OD? or manually shift it? Was traction control left on? What RPM was it shifting at?

Need more details to figure it out for you. But, now that you've gone, it'll get better from here on in :)

I left it in drive and let it do it itself, it looked like up over 5000rpms I would say around 5500. T/C was off.....Yes I was thinking about the MPH, it seemed low

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I left it in drive and let it do it itself, it looked like up over 5000rpms I would say around 5500. T/C was off.....Yes I was thinking about the MPH, it seemed low
if your car is brand new. then dont forget that it needs time to "loosen up"
just a thought

·
4,658 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Might be short shifting. Maybe run it up manually next time to see if it picks up.

Also, what where the car temp and air temp?

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob said:
Might be short shifting. Maybe run it up manually next time to see if it picks up.

Also, what where the car temp and air temp?

The car temp was like 200-210 when I started. It was like 70 outside.

Turned 2000th mile yesterday. A friend of mine was telling to shift myself, when do you think I should shift it? 6000?

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Has anyone read about the computer being "smart"?? It learns how you drive and populates it's computer tables with info. If you go slow on residential streets, it will get less aggressive. So, I wonder, if this is the case, you need to beat on the A4 prior to going to the strip to get full use of it's capability. I'm looking for the GM website that describes this "special feature". I found it before. Looking . . .

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Shift Points

For an incredibly lengthy (and sometimes heated!) debate on shift points, see this thread: How should I shift the M6? Even though you have an A4, the same principles apply (I believe.)

Long story short, shift around 5500 RPM or when the tach needle is "straight up".

·
4,658 Posts
FLORIT said:
For an incredibly lengthy (and sometimes heated!) debate on shift points, see this thread: How should I shift the M6? Even though you have an A4, the same principles apply (I believe.)

Long story short, shift around 5500 RPM or when the tach needle is "straight up".
Hasn't been proved yet. I'm sticking to 6K shifts. And nikivee seems to think so also. He's been the quickest n/a so far on the board. Must be working :thumbs:

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rob said:
Hasn't been proved yet. I'm sticking to 6K shifts. And nikivee seems to think so also. He's been the quickest n/a so far on the board. Must be working :thumbs:

Well it certainly can't hurt trying 6000, I will experiment with it. Thanks

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Rob said:
:D hahahahaha, the debate continues! :D

In my view, it has been proven "theoretically", via the math. I agree with you, however, that it hasn’t been proven through experimentation. You know what I’d like to see? Some recorded data from the strip… HP Tuners or some other PCM scanning software that can RECORD the shift points. How much you want to bet that Nickivee and others THINK they’re shifting at 6K but are ACTUALLY shifting at some other number (higher or lower, I couldn’t tell you.)

That’s the proof we need… hard data.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
:D And another thing...

Nickivee is an experienced drag racer and probably a damn good driver. There is a whole lot more to a good ET than where you shift. The debate in my mind is what RPM gives you the MAXIMUM POTENTIAL from your LS1.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts