LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbs: I had the great pleasure of driving the new GTO...sweet!
Here is a shot of the car and Jim Wangers' 69 Judge as posed for a downunder magazine cover.

After the press reveal up in Santa Barbara a journalist here from Australia brought the car down to Jim Wangers warehouse for a photo shot. I took the car for a test drive! Running my normal track I was just amazed. I have driven a ZO6 and several well prepared Firebirds and the GTO was spectacular.

The car is well balanced. My normal run has a series of sweeping S's and I took those at nearly 95 MPH. And with the seat bolstering you do not even move around.

Acceleration was great. Running the stick you have to be quick because the engine RPMs quickly. This was one of the pilot cars so one had to expect that it has been given a good thrashing. No eception here as the clutch was well in need of replacement. But that is so typical of GM's clutches in performance vehicles. A good clutch and the car will really launch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Big Injun, you just added to my excitement!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said, the clutch was pretty much thrashed. With the traction control off I could move it out at about 1500 rpm then stab it and smoke 'm pretty good. Unfortunately with the bad clutch a 3000 rpm side step netted nothing but slipage and little movement. A good clutch will certainly correct that.

With the traction control on the car launches very well and really gets moving quickly.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Running the stick you have to be quick because the engine RPMs quickly.
All these LS1's want to rev. I have to be careful when I do a nice tire frying burnout to moderate the gas some otherwise she just lets loose and the next thing I know I'm bouncing off the rev limiter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts