LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I’m poor, so I can’t afford what I want, some weld wheels. So I bought a spare set of rear wheels like the ones I daily with. 18x9 and nitto came out with a new drag radial not too long ago and had a size I could make work. 275/40/18. My daily tires are 275/35/18 but they were ever so slightly shorter than the front 245/45/18. So I figured these nittos would look better. And I was right. They are the new 555rg2 which is supposed to be like an nt05r with a more street (and rain) friendly tread. Well I went for a drive earlier and they were rubbing. Unfortunately they aren’t undersized like the old 555r’s are. I had to roll my fender more because they were barely rolled to begin with. I tore the sidewall up on one tire when my son asked me to do a dead stop launch off the two step. On the bright side they do hook! I may be buying another tire now lol. I’ll post a pic of the one tire that rubbed in post #2

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s the sidewall I messed up. I guess it’s really just in the tread. Maybe it’ll be ok

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O yea. I forgot the worst part. I cracked the shit out of my paint on the passenger quarter. I was freaking out. Luckily I can paint. And I have paint and clear. And I made time to fix it. But let me stress to you guys….if you are going to roll your fenders, make damn sure you don’t get lazy like me and not go grab the heat gun. Bad mistake. The heat gun 100% helps. I rolled the other side with no flaking because I used the heat gun. On to the damage. Yes in the last pic you can see my tape line. When the clear cures that will get feathered in with 2000 grit. It’s way more noticeable in the picture by the way.

Hood Leg Automotive lighting Automotive tire Asphalt

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Outerwear Blue Hood Plant Flag

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
503 Posts
I think the tires look sweet. Definitely a nice pattern. The paint repair I think looks good as well. I know transtar makes a clear edge blender for clearcoat you might be able to do that for your clear hardline. At any rate looks good man.

On another note not to change o.p. thread the paint cracking makes me leary getting 18 VMR wheels cause they do look better in 18s. It's a bummer we gotta do that to fit certain tire and wheel combos. Thank goodness yours didn't get too messed up.

·
This car goes to 11
1,530 Posts
Tires look good, they remind me of the outside part of Toyo TQ tread (same company). The tire damage doesn't seem bad, but I would definitely flip it to the passenger side so you don't have to look at it. I ground the lip off my fenders because it seemed like it was going to be a lot of force to roll them. It was a slow process but no cracking and everything blended nicely on the inside. Have fun with the traction!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tires look good, they remind me of the outside part of Toyo TQ tread (same company). The tire damage doesn't seem bad, but I would definitely flip it to the passenger side so you don't have to look at it. I ground the lip off my fenders because it seemed like it was going to be a lot of force to roll them. It was a slow process but no cracking and everything blended nicely on the inside. Have fun with the traction!
Yea I left on the street on only 1psi and my 17 year old was with me. He said dang, they hook. We got back home and he said he didn’t think they would hook that good. Granted I didn’t leave on full power and it was 1psi on takeoff and 5psi once I got rolling. 17+ may be a different story but I can’t expect it to hold that kind of power on the street from a dead anyways.

·
This car goes to 11
1,530 Posts
Haha, yeah no way its holding 17 #'s on the street from a dig unless you knocked the timing back to 5 degrees.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, yeah no way its holding 17 #'s on the street from a dig unless you knocked the timing back to 5 degrees.
Yea the cool thing is I can control boost however I need to.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I used to joke around that I had self clearancing tires on my old powerstroke. A non car guy friend believed it. Being the good friend that I am, I never corrected him.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just went for a ride. Filled the tank up. But my son in the back seat and went tried to see if it’ll rub. It barely kissed a part. Of the fender where the bumper meets. Ima work it a little more. These tires work good enough to go through the trouble. Worse comes to worse, I’ll order the hubs that are offset to the inside by 1/2”

·
Registered
145 Posts
Making me miss my previous 06 that had the fenders cut and a mini tub from the East Texas Muscle car guys. The 315s in the back were menacing :devilish:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts