LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some yuppy in a Volvo S70 was tailgating me on the way to work this morning. When I finally had some open road at a red light, I made the "0-60 in 5.3" launch and watched the rearview for his reaction. My spoiler was blocking his headlights until I launched and then my GTO squatted low enough to get a clear view of his front grill and headlights.

While dramatic it its effect, this seems like a LOT of travel in the rear end. What causes this? Is it the Independent Rear Suspension? Soft coils? Would you say this "squatting" is power lost?

It's better than breaking traction, so I'm not complaining. Just wondering if the "squatting" is a good thing or a bad thing and what it means.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
the gto actually "pre-loads" the driveline when you get ready to accelerate. It's a feature pontiac likes to call "launch mode." It's also described in the GTO brochure.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
FLORIT said:
It's better than breaking traction, so I'm not complaining. Just wondering if the "squatting" is a good thing or a bad thing and what it means.
For the most part it's a good thing for street cars. Saves stress on the drivetrain a bit. But for the drag races, you want all that power going horizontal.

For my application, I'd like to find a set of 600lb springs (non-lowered) to eliminate the squat.

Padre

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
I'm sure Eaton spring could whip up a few sets for us ;)

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
the gto actually "pre-loads" the driveline when you get ready to accelerate. It's a feature pontiac likes to call "launch mode." It's also described in the GTO brochure.
That's only on the A4, he has a 6 speed.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'm getting ready to write Air Lift. They have no listing for the GTO, but perhaps they have one that will fit the rear springs. Just need to get under there and take some measurements.

·
Registered
344 Posts
PadreGTO said:
For my application, I'd like to find a set of 600lb springs (non-lowered) to eliminate the squat.

Padre
I am all with that. I want stiffer springs but without a drop as well. Im in if we get a group buy in !

Anyone else notice about 1/4 inch difference in the rear ride height. My drivers rear is 1/8-1/4 lower than passenger rear? Tires are wearing fine and there are no spacers left in the car to remove. Only thing I can think of is one of the two rear springs arent seated properly.

·
Lowering Solutions
7 Posts
Same Height heavier spring rate

Alexandria-GTO said:
I am all with that. I want stiffer springs but without a drop as well. Im in if we get a group buy in !

Anyone else notice about 1/4 inch difference in the rear ride height. My drivers rear is 1/8-1/4 lower than passenger rear? Tires are wearing fine and there are no spacers left in the car to remove. Only thing I can think of is one of the two rear springs arent seated properly.
Visit www.kingsprings.com.au. We have Part No. KHRL-125HD coils to suit your application. Spring Rate is a 440-770 lb tapered wire progressive rate and are very popular here in Oz for the same reasons.

www.kingsprings.com.au
[email protected]

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Good weight transfer. I'm keeping it.

EDIT- When racing oval track, we set the car up to squat like this for foward drive off of the turn.

·
ABENIGO
26 Posts
PadreGTO said:
For the most part it's a good thing for street cars. Saves stress on the drivetrain a bit. But for the drag races, you want all that power going horizontal.

Padre
please let me know when you find them!

·
TREAD HERE. LIMP HOME.
265 Posts
I think the "Squat" is goodnews/badnews for the GTO. But maybe I'm missing something. Good because the car can barely swallow 275 series tires and it therefore needs to transfer some of it generous heft onto those wheels. Bad because torque transmitted to the tilting of the car is not going to the wheels and this will noticeably increase your 60ft time. For a car with lower rear traction, the easier/faster/more the weight transfer the better. The better the rear traction the less the need for weight transfer. For now we are just stuck with a car capable of producing mass quantities of power and torque but limited traction. Therefore we NEED the "squat", maybe we just need it faster.

·
Want Halo....
1,829 Posts
It’s kind of opposite of the Buick GN. The later models had a bar added that would actually raise the backend of car when the diff twisted under torque. I always thought it was strange looking, but effective.

Don't know what the relevance of this is, other than it was first thing I thought of when I seen the GTO "squat".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts