LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Me likey all that torque
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrrrgggghhh!

I got a ticket on Saturday for not having a front plate. Got nailed by a NYS Trooper on the Thruway. Heavy traffic. Was going under 70 (really, I was). So I pass the revenuer sitting in the median, and he pulls out. I assume he is after the F-150 that just went by me at 80. No. Pulls in behind me, and I knew EXACTLY why.... that damn front plate. Fine, it is the law. But is it really worth the risk, in heavy truck traffic, to have himself and a civilian on the side of the road for a chicken sh_t citation like that?

To boot, some dude in an '06 Brazen Orange was going the opposite direction.... probably gave him a smile to see a Goat on the side of the road!!

At any rate, I am facing the task of sticking that ugly ass front bracket on my car. I am "resurfacing" the attached post, 'cause I thought it was a pretty decent solution to avoid drilling holes in the bumper:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79728&highlight=front+plate+bracket

·
I need more cowbell!
370 Posts
The only time I wrote someone for no front plate is when they were a prick to me. That was one of those "add on" charges when the person was a jerk.

·
get used to this sight
1,051 Posts
f that... we dont really get harrassed that much for not having a front plate. i got stopped one time and got a laundry list of tickets. when he got to that one i told him that i have nowhere to put it. he told me to use sheet metal screws. i started laughing. i told him riiiiiiight... anyway, whats next??? needless to say there is no front plate on my car nor will there EVER be a front plate on my car. it just looks so damn fugly. eew

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
For those of you who hate running front plates, but live in states that require one...

Take your front plate and mount it to its holder while unattached from the car. Toss it out in the street and have your wife run over it, or find some other way to creatively break the holder. Then, keep the busted up assembly into your trunk for future (knock on wood) use. Should you get pulled over and cited for the no front plate, use the old "it was recently broken" and you're "waiting for the replacement parts to come in" routine while showing the him/her the remains.

My manager at work swears by this routine and I figure it's gotta be good for at least one "get out of ticket" free card.

·
Pure Power
485 Posts
itslow said:
For those of you who hate running front plates, but live in states that require one...

Take your front plate and mount it to its holder while unattached from the car. Toss it out in the street and have your wife run over it, or find some other way to creatively break the holder. Then, keep the busted up assembly into your trunk for future (knock on wood) use. Should you get pulled over and cited for the no front plate, use the old "it was recently broken" and you're "waiting for the replacement parts to come in" routine while showing the him/her the remains.

My manager at work swears by this routine and I figure it's gotta be good for at least one "get out of ticket" free card.

OR just throw the plate in your windshield. IVE NEVER been harrassed by the police when my plate is in my front window. I've done it with 3 different cars. Nassau/Suffolk/NYPD have never said a thing.

·
Keep On Keepin On
19 Posts
I recently took mine off and that night I was driving the speed limit and a village cop pulled me over for that and tint. It was raining and i was not speeding. What ticks me off is that there are all the kids driving around in there ricers with these loud ass coffee cans on back and tint but he messed with me....what gives??

·
Crankcase Oil Formulator
553 Posts
I had mine off for two weeks before I got a verbal warning from a local cop in my town about not having the front plate. "It's the law" he said. Yes Sir. I said. I subsequently fabricated a mounting bracket that attaches from UNDER the front bumper made of 16 gauge stainless steel. It also protects the nose from curb scrapes.

·
Cuda
20 Posts
I trimmed mine down so it will fit into the lower front grill, drilled two small holes in each side, and then quick tie it on if I'm going on the hiway where state police roam, they like to ticket for that, the local guys don't hassle me around town so mine is off mostly. It takes 1 or 2 minutes to pop it on and it hides back outa the way better this way and keeps your bumper unblemished.

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
6.0-GTO said:
OR just throw the plate in your windshield.
Yeah, but can you say "ghetto"? Doing that makes it look like you're too broke/lazy to get it mounted nicely on the front of the car.

·
Pure Power
485 Posts
itslow said:
Yeah, but can you say "ghetto"? Doing that makes it look like you're too broke/lazy to get it mounted nicely on the front of the car.

Ghetto? Uhm yea ok, Drive a 30k car but you're to broke to get a bracket mounted that they MOUNT for you when you buy the car. If you want plate on the front of your car so it doesnt make you look "ghetto" be my guest.

·
Pure Power
485 Posts
DeepBlueZ said:
I'd also just like to add that if you do keep your plate in the windshield and you get a ticket, you can't fight it based on that premise. Legally that's not an approved place for it.

Fortunately most COPS (as opposed to meter-maids) will usually let you slide.

I agree with your statement about defacing the car with the bracket.

Not to many cops would push it, Ive had maybe one or 2 cops say something about it in the windshield, and my response was i put it there due to just getting my car back from the body shop (fixed the front bumper) and havent had a chance to mount the bracket, so instead of not having a plate i threw it in the windshield so it could at least be seen :) They never say anything other then good idea, and BTW nice car...lol

·
Mr. Nice Guy
105 Posts
i dont have mine mounted on the bumper with bracket its behind the lower grill, cop pulled me over just for that 80bucks!! same cop who pulled me over for not stopping all the way at the stop sign a week before.

·
MacGregor
243 Posts
mother f-er

i got nabed on the way to work and i was trying to be a nice guy and the cop wrote me for no front plate. and to top it I have to goto court now. o well i said i was going to put it on when i got nabed so it looks like the time has come, i got nabed for speeding so this was something i put on myself. anyway my friday is ruined

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts
04redgto said:
I like my front plate....
+1

I pay I think $35 extra a year for my personalized plates and want it to be seen.

I don't see why so many people complain about running a front plate. Who cares if you have to, everyone else in the state does.

The idea of running it over attached to the bracket is hilarious and I would bet money too that it would work.

Now what I don't like is when the car is made for a front license plate and people don't run it. For example my cousin had a 03 Mustang and the front bumper actually had a flat spot molded for a license plate. He didn't run it and I think it looked absolutely retarded. Needless to say it don't matter now, he wrecked into a light pole and it caught on fire.

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
i keep it in my trunk and if i get pulled over i just say " oh im sorry i forgot to put it back on, it was in a car show and i had taken it off" good day officer

·
Brad
81 Posts
Ok, I have ran my GTO w/o front plate now for just over a month and a half. No problems yet. I did, however, run my camaro w/o a plate for over 4 years w/o any problems. I was pulled over more than a few times in it too (for other reasons). After hearing these stories, I might just rig up the bracket to attach to the car (but still look good). No way in hell Im drilling into the front though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just put my front plate on yesterday....not worried about defacing the bumper because the previous owner already had the holes drilled

I've already gotten pulled over for total BS reasons when I had my Z28, I didn't need to give the cops an excuse to pull me over in the GTO...especially if I'm on my way back home from having a few drinks. My car is black so I just threw a tinted cover over the front plate....I don't think it looks bad at all.

·
Expelled
8,316 Posts
6.0gto_noob said:
+1

I pay I think $35 extra a year for my personalized plates and want it to be seen.

I don't see why so many people complain about running a front plate. Who cares if you have to, everyone else in the state does.

The idea of running it over attached to the bracket is hilarious and I would bet money too that it would work.

Now what I don't like is when the car is made for a front license plate and people don't run it. For example my cousin had a 03 Mustang and the front bumper actually had a flat spot molded for a license plate. He didn't run it and I think it looked absolutely retarded. Needless to say it don't matter now, he wrecked into a light pole and it caught on fire.

Basically...

My dad is not running one on his Z06, but if the day comes they all ready make a removable plate frame which doesnt require drilling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts