LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks to the help of this forum and all the wonderful stickies.. i changed everything out yesterday.

What i had...
Rockford Fosgate 250.1 Amp
JL 10W1 Sub in JS custom box... not for the GTO.
JVC AVX2 in dash dvd player (use it for dvd-mp3 discs mainly)

What i got...
4 Alpine S-Series 6.5's

What i did...

Left in stock tweeters (might change em)
Changed front door speakers (broke lock on passenger side arg)
Changed rear seat speakers in side... (that is a huge cavern btw. need to learn how to glass.

Then i took out the back subs... speakers, pod, and all, to allow as much free airspace as possible from trunk to cabin... then i mounted the amp in the trunk to the center wall, and im building an MDF frame to go around the sub which is sitting in the spare tire well. (everythings out)

I didnt take any pictures of the process because i was so damn frustrated. This was the hardest install ive done yet. And i thought my Audi was hard.

but ill get pics of headunit and sub setup when its all done

Final Thoughts:
The head unit would not fit in the casing. And the casing wouldnt fit in the car with the headunit in it.. 3 hours of the install was shaving and trimming ot down enough to get the headunit into it. then i find out it wont fit in the car.. more trimming. Arg.

The sound quality is sweet. Wish i could have donw panel subs but money said i needed to use my current sub. I still get a bit of the (sub-in-the-trunk) feeling but it still bounces my teeth around a bit.. i dont want it to shake my car too much anyway.. thats why i got the superior JL.

Wow that was a lot of writing.. i needed to get that off my chest.

Took about 14 or 15 hours total.

Peace.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
If the "casing" that the head unit wouldn't fit in is the one that the stock stereo was clamped into, that's supposed to come out. I think there are two screws at the bottom and two at the top?

Get some silk dome tweeters to replace the factory ones. They are paper garbage and need to come out.

Can you hear the fuel pump now that you took out the rear deck speakers?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually yes..

at first i thought it was speaker hiss. Later today i realized it was the fuel pump. any ideas on how to deaden that noise. it kinda is throwing everything off.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
MrSinister said:
at first i thought it was speaker hiss. Later today i realized it was the fuel pump. any ideas on how to deaden that noise. it kinda is throwing everything off.
Put the stock speakers back in, but leave them unplugged.

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
Lothar34 said:
Put the stock speakers back in, but leave them unplugged.
+1

Since you had the rear seats out, remember the long 2" wide slot across the back of the vertical part of the seat, it is direct to the rear air space of the trunk. Also, that huge cavern for the rear side speakers you noted, it extends all the way to the trunk. Extra holes to hear bass from the trunk is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because of all the...

holes in the back seat... i ended up soing something different. Becuase i only had 1 10in in the back i wondered how much it actually helped driving so i turned the speaker amp off and listened to some music for a bit driving with only the sub hitting.

Even with thise holes it was minimal and pathetic... my new apline 6in door speakers gave more bass. Then i got an idea.

Teh box that the sub was in was a custom angled JL box for a truck, that incendetially fits perfect in the passenger seat footwell behind my drivers seat. so.. i covered it in black fabric... and now i have a 10in firing directly into my seat.

i have 4 passengers in my car maybe once or twice a month so its not going to matter being in the cabin, and its small and out of the way so not in view if you look in the car.

perfect... and becuase of the holes... i can wire and rewire it to the back in about 2 minutes.

and becuase its not behind any panels i dont get any rattles. now i just gotta cover up those damn holes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts