LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day :)

I sold my boat yesterday and if they show up with the final monies at the end of next week I will have about 3k to spend.

So I'm looking to put this 3k into my Goat. I was going to do an MPD hood and shorties (I still may do that) but I have been intrigued by some of the performance gains I read on here.

So if you had 3k in your pocket to spend on performance mods (engine/exhaust) what would you do.

Especially if you already have done some work around this price level. Please let me know what you bought and also what you thought when completed and what you may have done differently.

I have been unsuccessful so far in finding a tuner in my area with a dyno so this may be a limitation but I am still hunting.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Cam and all the bolt-ons!!! I think you can see 375rwhp with a good cam and full bolt-ons...maybe more!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Agreed. A nice intake system, SW LT's , Exhaust, and a cam/springs/pushrod/ package. That will put you in the high 300 range. Devilyellow's car just put down the same numbers with a similar setup.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
cam package, LTs, intake, plugs wires,
and a cat back if you have any money left over.
thats probably what i would do

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Forget the hood!

Full exhaust including installation will run you somewhere between $1,500 - 2,000 alone. By full exhaust I mean LONG TUBE headers (forget about the shorties), your choice of off-road setup or cats (Both of which eliminate the resonators) then customizing your cat-back. CAI is $150 and even cheaper if you pick one up used. Cams run around $300 - 400 depending on grind. Of course, if you're upgrading your cam, I would recomend chromoly pushrods too, and then figure in the labor and you're right up to or slightly past that 3k mark.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about the Dynatech Long Tubes. And if I ditch the hood idea, a K&N CAI.

As for the cam this is where I get lost. I am looking at 2 cams listed at T Byrne

One is 212/221 In/exh @.050 and .510/.510 in/exh lift or .300 on the lobe w/116 sep

or

218/221 in/exh @ .050 and .526/.534 in/exh lift or .309/.314 on the lobe w/116 sep.

If this doesn't make sense here is a link to the cams http://www.ls1gtoperformance.com/gtointro.html

they are about halfway down the page part #s 55002 and 55003

These are Lunati cams and would appreciate any reputation anyone knows about this company as I do not know them.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate you guys input that are really cam knowledgeable. My only hesitation to doing a cam is getting a good tune afterwords I really need to step up my search for a local tuner.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Both cams are actually kinda small. Both on lift and duration. Most big number cams are at least .540 - .550 lift and over 220* duration. Lobe separation is a matter of choice. 112* LS is a "dirty" cam for emissions purposes and requires more tuning to keep it clean, 116* is conversely "Clean" and will generally eliminate the "lope" you want to either hide or boast about.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to stay away from a really rough idle. but wouldn't mind a little jiggle ;)

So then this would be closer to a recommended cam

222/230 @.050 .534/.544 w/114 sep?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Much better! I would still like a little more lift, but that is a lot healthier than the other two. Plus with a 114* LS, you'll get that slight bump, but not sound like a T.F. Dragster trying to idle at the staging beams.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CMNTMXR57 said:
Much better! I would still like a little more lift, but that is a lot healthier than the other two. Plus with a 114* LS, you'll get that slight bump, but not sound like a T.F. Dragster trying to idle at the staging beams.
I had a 72 vette that souded like that I don't want that. I need to price an install before I decide on the cam.

I respect your opinion CMNT and appreciate your feedback. I really want to be careful on my exhaust also I do not want alot of noise. Been there done that. If I need hearing protection I want it to be because of teh streo not the exhaust at Idle. :)

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Thanks.

Anytime you increase the amount of air and fuel you're ingesting, it'll make a bigger bang in the hole when ignited. HOWEVER, since you have not touched the heads, therefore retaining the stock compression, it won't be anywhere near as loud as it could be.

As to installation, figure $65 - 70 per hour labor and about 4 hours for an install. Then factor in pushrods (chromoly) too, and I would recommend a physical dyno tuning ASAP and that runs about $350/hr and should take about an hour.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Dyno is the prob. I am having a very hard time tracking one down. I need to expand my search area.

I think the dynatech Long tubes will be cool and they come with cats also. I will need to relocate my o2 sensors I presume but I want to reatain the stock mufflers and probably replace the tailpipes. Will have to have them made I suppose unless I can find just a tailpipe setup being sold.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
The O2's will be all replaced with the headers, all you'll need to do is get O2 wiring extensions for the post cat O2's. Any vendor should sell those.

Check out www.dynojet.com At one time, they had a dyno locator. I'm sure that in a metropolis like the DC area, they should have a dyno somewhere.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
ArlingtonGoat said:
The Dyno is the prob. I am having a very hard time tracking one down. I need to expand my search area.

I think the dynatech Long tubes will be cool and they come with cats also. I will need to relocate my o2 sensors I presume but I want to reatain the stock mufflers and probably replace the tailpipes. Will have to have them made I suppose unless I can find just a tailpipe setup being sold.
Check with Mike Lewis, PFYC, (one of the vendors at the left). He knows of dynos in the area that work with LS1's. He sent me a list once but I can't find it. You will probably have to take a day trip down south.
:drink::drink:

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were in Arlington, Va. :D

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CMNTMXR57 said:
Sorry, I thought you were in Arlington, Va. :D
As long as you didn't think Arlington Tx it's all good :p

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Nope, the WA looked like VA for some braziere reason. :)

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Nope, the WA looked like VA for some braziere reason. :)
Bad drugs in your youth CMNTXR57??? ;)

~~~~~~~~
Arlington Goat,

Before you look into any cam profiles, get the info on what works for the GTO and not an F-body or Vette. It'll make the difference between a waste of money and a powerful car...

However, before a cam swap I'd suggest a few more bolt ons...

LT headers and exhaust...

Short throw shifter if it's a M6 or a higher stall speed converter if it's an A4. Don't forget a trans cooler.

Some REALLY sticky tires too...

That'll kill $3K really easy...

Ed

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
That was a fuax pa so to speak! I always have hootage on my mind. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts