LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sooooo close. And given this was on very old dusty blacktop in 45 degree weather on Summer only tires and full tire pressure I'm going to call this a win given my latest modifications. I tried launching soft, hard and inbetween. 60fts tell the tale. Wheel spin is just too easy and lots more wheel spin in 2nd AND 3rd. I'll never know how guys ever got these cars into the 12s bone stock and on street tires.

I could smell the clutch a bit when I got home but it performed beautifully (Monster Stage II.)

·
Worthless reject member
40,104 Posts
wow, i didn't know g-tech stuff had gotten that advanced. i had one of the original units, man was that thing a POS, lol. pretty impressive

get some sticky ultra high performance summer tires and wait until it's a little warmer out. sound like a low-mid 12 car at least. 110-112 mph is a good trap, and sounds about right for a close to full weight GTO with your power level.

·
GR-RRR!
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is fairly consistent given that traction was so variable. I didn't do all the runs in exactly the same place either so as to not unduly raise the ire of those that lived in the area where I was "testing". Most houses in the area are a good 1/8-1/4 mile off the road, but still, not everyone enjoys the sound of a V8 at full boil.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
567 Posts
A drag strip has a much stickier launch pad. I've seen some 1/4 mile times posted for the C8 recently that were done on the street (high 11s) vs. the track (low 11s), and that car has traction in spades with 305s in the rear with 60% of its weight back there.

·
GR-RRR!
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is somewhat interesting that the tires I have are so darn good for cornering but so poor in straight line traction. I know they are different dynamics, but you'd think that a tire with a 200 treadwear rating would have soft enough rubber to get some bite under acceleration too. I did "clean them off" a bit before the first run.

·
Worthless reject member
40,104 Posts
Yeah, it sucks to daily drag radials though. If it rains or snows you're pretty much screwed.

2.2 60' isn't too bad for a street tire.

The other thing i have noticed is that tires will stick better to some roads. Highly travelled roads usually. Not sure why that is. Could be rubber deposits from other vehicle tires increasing the coefficientof friction, less dirt in the nooks and crannies, smoother surface. I dunno.

Try a main drag somewhere and launch and then get up to speed, maybe do 330' that way you don't have to bust all the way up to 112 mph and risk getting in trouble. Subtract the difference from your previous 330' times and then just add your 330' to 1/4 et.

It will still be off from what you would really get, since your speed at the end of the 330' will differ from before and thus it will effect the rest of the run, but it should give you an idea of what you could have gotten.

If you want to be consistant, maybe try the same weather conditions, but honestly i think you'll see more difference in engine power at the top half of the run, not the 330' so much. If you wait and do it when it's warmer and get better traction, you might be better off.

·
GR-RRR!
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My previous best (on the G-Tech) was 13.357 in similar weather on the same roads so regardless of traction issues I've made progress. These tires do need some heat. Also, a little bit of heat soak off idle wouldn't be a bad thing I guess, would lessen the wheel spin and with the fast acting IAT sensor I'd be back to normal about 3-5 seconds into a run. Or so my past data logging has told me.

FYI: previous best was before the FAST, long tubes, rockers and dyno tune. Previously I did have a ported intake, shorty headers and high flow cats and a custom tune through my Predator. Catback and underdrive pulley were the same in both. Don't recall if the tires were the same. Tires I'm on now ARE 4-5 years old.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
567 Posts
Compared with your previous best, you picked up 2-3 tenths, nice gains! Did you trap speed go up also?

·
GR-RRR!
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Compared with your previous best, you picked up 2-3 tenths, nice gains! Did you trap speed go up also?
Yes, 108 to 112 though I tend to not rely on G-Tech trap speed data as much. You can get a later version of a G-tech to be amazingly accurate on ET and other timed stats, it is always a little high on trap speed. Though, regardless of the actual numbers, it does show an improvement so there's that.

·
GR-RRR!
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, if I were to buy a pair of Nitto drag radials in the 245/45-17 size what would be a good source for a pair of wheels that would be inexpensive and fit on the GTO with the right offset? The next size bigger is 275/50-17 but I don't think I could fit those on the car without modifications at least to the wheel lips.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
567 Posts
I see OEM 17" wheels for sale frequently on the Facebook pages. You'd need deep offset 9-10" width wheels to fit them without rolling/cutting the fender lips.

·
GR-RRR!
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I'll be on the hunt for a pair of flower power 17s. I HAVE a set of 17s up in the rafters but they have really good tires on them and I'd like to just leave them as is and if I got DR just have those mounted as extras.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
567 Posts
I suppose a 245/40 would provide enough bite at my power level.
It would be a definite improvement. I ran BFG drag radials on my '87 Camaro and it hooked up pretty good for only having a 2200 stall converter, 60 foots in the low 1.8's and 1/4 mile in the mid 12's.

·
Worthless reject member
40,104 Posts
i remember those. do they still make them?

i think those were the first drag radials i tried back in the day, broke into the 12's with them.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,502 Posts
To answer a couple of your questions... (we’re similar in power and setup so hope this helps)

A 275/40/17 nitto NT-05R drag radial will fit on a stock 17in rim. It will also fit under the car with no modification. Ive run that setup for quite a while for my drag setup.

My street setup is stock 17’s with firestone Firehawk Indy500’s. Super cheap tire and super sticky. 200tw so they arent the longest lasting tire but for $110 per tire (245/45/17) and about 85% of a drag radial traction wise they are a no brainer. I recently switched to these tires coming from daily driving my drag set up with the nittos, and ill tell you the performance is there.

Im bone stock engine performance wise with a Vararam cia and a pipes H box with the resonated tips, rest of the exhaust is stock. Stock tune. Stock intake. MGW shifter, dss 2 piece, monster level 2 for drive train. Best so far at the track is 12.71 @ 111.6.

Not sure if you have suspension upgrades but springs and koni shocks with the adjustable rear sway bar helps some.

Its all about the launch. Gotta get that down. And i always power shift. With stock ish power you can power shift (no lift shift) these things all day long with no issues.

Here’s a video of a launch on the street and power shift. Just takes practice. Also this was with bridgestone potenza all season tires. (245/45/17)

here’s the personal best 12.70 pass. Luanch, power shift 2&3 with a speed shift in 4th. Nitto NT05R setup

Here’s a little race between me and a random STI at a light. You can see a realistic launch on the street and shifting. This was with the all season tires.

·
Registered
2006 GTO
153 Posts
Rich you and I seem to be on the same path lately. I did the FAST 102 then you did a few weeks later, I did the 1.8 rockers then you did a few weeks later. I have been having a lot of fun runs on the local deserted roads with some cool cars lately as if we were all out driving and enjoying this rare benefit of the current state of things. I have come across a LS3 Camaro, SRT 392 Challenger, Kia Stinger GT, Audi S5, and a very loud 370Z. I have no idea what the mods were but they were all cool guys and we honked and exchanged thumbs ups. They were all from a roll with me in the top of 1st, and I pulled out ahead of all of them by the top of 4th. Very happy to say the least! I spin like crazy off the line and even from a roll 2nd gear I am sideways. I get rubber in 3rd at 6500rpms too. I am running a General Gmax or some shit in 275/35/18 on my VMR's. They just don't hook at all and the past three nights I have been looking at tires and have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to get another set of rims for the rear (the same I have on there now) and just run the NT05 Nitto's from April till October and swap out to the General's for the winter. Let me know what tires you decide on. I have not bought anything yet and am still doing some research.

Stay safe everyone!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I’d get some fbody 16’s or some jeg/summit 15’s. That way the nittos would be cheaper if for some reason you wonna run their brand.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts