LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I've been looking at the Nitto 555R, just a pair for the rear. Incredible discounts at Discount Tire Direct right now.

I already have Bridgestone Potenza RE11s for everyday tires, great for handling, not so great for straightline. Although I now realize they are over 6 years old, rubber has probably gotten a little harder though they've never really felt very soft. Still grip in the corners great. Much warmer weather would help, they begin to lose grip with temps below 50, no fun at ALL in temps around 40 or below. My runs the other day were at temps around 48.

I think I'm set on a pair of drag radials (I could swap them onto the wagon too), the question remains do I go with 245/40-17s or 275/45-17s.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I only run the 555r so I have a radial too daily the car. Don’t prefer it for anything series. Spins too dam much.
But if you are dead set on using a 17 and a skinny 8” wheel get either size. Gonna perform the same. Better to go wider so you don’t feel like you wasted money. Prolly be a 35 tall unless you want a taller tire.

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I thought the 555R was considered pretty good. If not, then perhaps the NT05R instead?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Good is subjective. There’s a reason they are the cheapest drag radial. Better than a regular street tire though. I just wouldn’t waste my time running it in a stock size.

·
Registered
2006 GTO
153 Posts
I understand the 555r is dated and if you go to a drag radial get them from Mickey Thompson. As I see it, running a full on drag radial is ok, but if you daily drive it like I do, keep in mind drag radials typically have softer sidewalls and are shit in the rain. With the NT05, soley based on what I have read, you retain the stiff sidewall and handling characteristics, decent wet weather traction if you drive cautiously along with the softish rubber compound which when ran at say 30psi on the street maybe lower, it should stick nearly as well as a drag radial. I only say this based on the numerous threads I have read at ls1tech.com, svtperformance, etc. There are better and more expensive extreme summer tires out there but I still am leaning towards these NT05.

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This new set of drag radials would only be used for "acceleration competition", I wouldn't have them on the car for everyday use. I actually enjoy going around corners quickly more. (I know, I know, so then why do I have a GTO? LOL!)

·
Registered
2006 GTO
153 Posts
You may want to get something like a potenza RE71R
I do like them a lot and they seem to have better reviews for wet weather traction. I don't drive like an ass in the rain as is, but what I don't want is that out of nowhere hydroplaning nonsense like I had with my KDW's back in the day. These may be the tire for me. Thanks man!

·
Registered
2006 GTO
153 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Smallest size they make is a 275/40-17 so I'd need 9 inch wide wheels I'd think. Would those fit without rubbing assuming I get the proper offset?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I suppose a 245/40 would provide enough bite at my power level.
no, dont waste your time with those. Nitto tires run narrow, use the 275/40/17. wont rub with factory wheels. I would skip the 555r's also, use the NT05r. Dont believe people when they say you cant fit a 275 on the stock wheels. Thats what I have. Trust me, its fits just fine and its not bulged like they will tell you it will.

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
no, dont waste your time with those. Nitto tires run narrow, use the 275/40/17. wont rub with factory wheels. I would skip the 555r's also, use the NT05r. Dont believe people when they say you cant fit a 275 on the stock wheels. Thats what I have. Trust me, its fits just fine and its not bulged like they will tell you it will.
All good to know. Do you have any photos you could share?

·
Registered
278 Posts
So, if I were to buy a pair of Nitto drag radials in the 245/45-17 size what would be a good source for a pair of wheels that would be inexpensive and fit on the GTO with the right offset? The next size bigger is 275/50-17 but I don't think I could fit those on the car without modifications at least to the wheel lips.
if you're gonna get a spare pair of wheels to put DR's on then DO NOT use the nittos, they are pure trash. Throw some MT SS's on em, those have decent hook. Or you could go with a M&H 245/45/17 if you want a bit narrower or an equal size 275 M&H. Just avoid nittos.

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
If they bite good for you, they might work for me. But I'm a stick car, I've read that drag radials don't "give" much so with a stick launch you can blow them off and once spinning you are out of luck.

Ultimately my goal is to cut my 60ft by 2-3 tenths is all. If there's another way to do it I'm all ears. And while many will say "improve your technique" all I can say is I've been driving stick for 43 years now. I'm no Ronnie Sox but still I'm honestly not going to get any better so I have to work around the realities of my abilities as they exist right now. I mean, I can turn a 13.9 in my daily Honda so I should at least be able to get a GTO into the 12s.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts