LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of my 2005 GTO. I absolutely love this car, but some things are really annoying. My GTO only has 48k miles and is always inside or under my carport, well unless I am driving.

Problems:

1) CD player stopped working a few years ago. I get a CD error reading the disc. I have tried multiple discs.
2) The seatback panel on the drivers seat fell off as all the clips broke.
3) The trunk insert cracked and half of the retainers had to be Jb Weld'ed back to the panel.
4) Front Brake rotors warped within 36k miles.
5) Headliner failed a few years ago.
6) The molding on the rear passenger quarter panel finish is degrading.
7) The carpet clips broke in the first couple of years of ownership. I have new clips, but I do not use them to hold the carpets in place.
8) The headlights and fog lights are suffering from crazing. I replaced the passenger side with an OEM headlight.
9) The drivers seat movement is not smooth almost as if the gearing is broken. No one ever sits in the back seat so the drivers seat rarely moves.
10) The steering wheel was very sticky. I had to use 90% rubbing alcohol to remove the stickiness.
11) Rust on the front and rear suspension parts. The rust is very minimal, but this is a southern car that is rarely driven in the rain. Mostly a weekend car when we have good weather. The roads are never salted here nor do I live anywhere close to salt water bodies of water.
12) Had to cover the wires going to the BCM as they were rubbing.
13) Altered the engine cover to prevent rubbing on the fuel line.
14) Paint is wearing off the shift knob. I do not rest my hand on the knob after shifting.
15) Hood Insulator is sagging. I am trying to determine a good fix. Any suggestions as this looks awful when opening the hood. I do not want to remove it and I cannot find any new hood insulators.
16) Rear Springs are sagging as if I have 250lbs in the trunk. I added airbags for now to remedy this situation.

I am not easy on this car as I autocross and road race.

Michael

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Well, 14 of your 16 items are relatively common, especially for a car that is now 15 years old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am definitely keeping the car. Just a rant as these are things I should not be having problems with such a low mileage car.
At 48k miles I am on my sixth set of tires. I am not complaining as I love to drive it like I stole it.

I am looking at the offerings from DigOptions for a replacement in-dash radio.

And saving my money to upgrade to a Mantic twin Disc clutch.

·
Seriously?
1,541 Posts
This. Low miles ≠ not old.

Something is also seriously wrong if you've gone through 6 sets of tires.
Well, he did say he loves to drive it like he stole it, he auto crosses and road races it... I'm thinking, only 6 sets of tires?

·
Wol Gemut
3,280 Posts
the hood liner sag has got go be missing clips, right? it is a solid piece attached by clips. the rubbing fuel line was only actually an issue with 2004s but nothing wrong with being safe.

·
Powdercoat all of it
186 Posts
I just installed some stuff from amazon for a new hood liner. The old one was crisp, and I expected interference with my new xair. It's pretty nice stuff, and was way more pliable than I had expected. I could have done a better job on the install, but I was learning as I went. I'd recommend it, it was like $35 and was enough to cover the hood twice if I wanted.

But yeah, your list is almost a checklist of what it's like to own a gto.

·
It's only cosmetic...
452 Posts
the hood liner sag has got go be missing clips, right? it is a solid piece attached by clips. the rubbing fuel line was only actually an issue with 2004s but nothing wrong with being safe.
My 2006 definitely rubbed on the FRC. It was an all years issue.

·
Worthless reject member
40,150 Posts
i think it was a "rushing to get it across the ocean to sell it" issue, followed by a "meh, we're only making it for 3 years, who gives a crap" issue.

had GM collaborated with Holden much earlier and released it the same time the monaro was released in australia, i think things would have been a bit better. none of this slapdash BS that we've had to deal with. well, at least a lot less of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
had a buddy with an '05 back in the day that caught fire due to the rubbing fuel lines. IIRC, the early 05s were also affected

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have Hankook RS4 tires right now. Fairly sticky when racing, but not as sticky as the Pirelli Slicks I have for my Impala.
Eventually I will get a second set of rims and tires just for racing. I really would like to have a set of Nankang AR-1 tires for racing.
people don't have separate sets of wheels and tires for that?

·
It's only cosmetic...
452 Posts
mine did not. and every fire I saw reported was a 2004. and I am not the first to note this. not denying your experience though.
Less fires happened with 2005 and 2006 because we became aware of it and removed the FRCs, modified the left FRC, and/or upgraded the fuel line. It wasn't that GM sorted out the issue, it was that we, the original owners, paid attention and fixed it on our own. Every GTO in SE Michigan that would come out to meets had the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The engine cover was definitely rubbing on my fuel line.
I am not missing any clips. Maybe I should have described it a little better. The hood insulator is coming apart?

I am trying to find some type of sealant that I could use to fix the hood liner.

·
Wol Gemut
3,280 Posts
I am not missing any clips. Maybe I should have described it a little better. The hood insulator is coming apart?
View attachment 502944
View attachment 502945

I am trying to find some type of sealant that I could use to fix the hood liner.
man, that does not look good, you may want to consider dynamat hood liner r a similar replacement.

·
Worthless reject member
40,150 Posts
View attachment 502944
View attachment 502945

Wow. Time to toss it. It's done.

If you need insulation or some type of fire protection, i am sure there are better aftermarket options vs. stock.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Ehh, pull the hood liner off. Mine did the same thing on my 04, so removed it, then painted the underside.

I later replaced it with an 05/06 hood that’s also painted on the underside:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts