LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone NEEDS to contact the NHTSA about these headlights. I went so far as to check with other GTOs on our Pontiac lot. They SUCK.

They have a tremendous horizontal dispersion, but the vertical dispersion is horrible. When you pull up to a wall, about 10 feet away, the illumination is extremely thin vertically, too thin. I can adjust the headlights down to fill the road in front of me, but I have horrible vision out past 20 yards and road signs get no illumination. I can then raise the headlights to get better illumination farther out and better illuminated road signs, but then the road in front of me is almost dark. Turning the fogs on helps immediately in front of me, but it actually causes a dark middle spot where the fogs end and the headlights begin...

I made a drawing last night of my minivan lights and my GTO lights at 10 yards - guess which is my GTO:

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
One suggestion! HID's may not completely fix the problem, but they certainly would help, I am in the process of deciding to get an intake system for the Goat or get HID's. I was not aware of this being a problem so I may go ahead and order the HID's tonight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with some xenon lamps which did make them brighter but did not increase the length. I tried to adjust the headlamps where other people have posted by adjusting the screws on the top of the headlamps this did not seem to work. If anyone knows the step by step process let me know. This is the only complaint I have on my GTO
My wife has a Lexus gs300 and the lighting is great.

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TrakDay said:
One suggestion! HID's may not completely fix the problem, but they certainly would help, I am in the process of deciding to get an intake system for the Goat or get HID's. I was not aware of this being a problem so I may go ahead and order the HID's tonight.
I have yet to go with HIDs, but I have tried both Showoff bulbs and just recently have Hoens in. Neither have helped.

Are the Monaros HIDs from the Factory?

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
I am not real sure if they use the same lights or not. what are the bulbs? 9006? h4? what?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
HID's should be a lot better. I almost suspect the headlamp was designed for them and then the idea was scrapped due to cost. That is my theory.

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CSiJason said:
HID's should be a lot better. I almost suspect the headlamp was designed for them and then the idea was scrapped due to cost. That is my theory.
Well, I asked that because I suspected that, too. I know that the filament orientation (I know mistermike will fill us in on this :) ) has lot to do with dispersion, and I believe that HIDs have a different arc orientation than halogen filaments, or something to the like.

I know if you take a headlight designed for regular halogen, and add HID, you tend to get much more dispersion and reflection, so it would seem that if you took a headlight that had dispersion problems and added HID, you'd get better lighting.

One thing I noticed is our lens are not "cut" with those cuts that are typical on projector lens...

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
barstowpo said:
Wow you guys are spoiled. You should have seen how bad my 97 SHO headlights were. The GTO's are tremendous in comparison.
This is what I'm thinking as well. I have no problem with the lights on the car. They work very well for me. :huh:

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Hoen, baby...

After I put the Hoens in all 6 holes, I love the lights on the GTO. Well, that and a proper adjustment, too. I especially like that the low beams stay on when you go to highs.

Diggs

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Diggs said:
After I put the Hoens in all 6 holes, I love the lights on the GTO. Well, that and a proper adjustment, too. I especially like that the low beams stay on when you go to highs.

Diggs
I've got the complete Hoen package too, but I find that the fogs almost "overpower" the headlights. Maybe I need to do some more adjusting...

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Yeah...

There are instructions (and pictures) in a thread we had a while back about adjusting the fogs.

Personally, I like the way the fogs wash the road right in front of me.

Diggs

·
Registered
115 Posts
Following Digg's and others suggestions, I also went with the Hoens. After having the aiming kicked down a few inches, I have been very satisfied. Frontal vision is good, and road signs are powerfully illuminated when high beams are on. I never use the fog lights (unless there is actulal fog).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Diggs said:

Diggs
what procedure did you use to adjust your low beam head lamps?
I tried to adjust mine with the screws that said adjustment but it did
not seem to work.
thank you
Stifelguy :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I think my stock ones are pretty damn good! Especially on high! Now I need to figure out how to keep the lows and the driving lights on at the same time. :)

But otherwise, these lights from the factory are just as good as my 2500HD's were or my Camaro is and those are the best I've ever had.

A lot has to do with adjustment. They are aimed pretty low from the get go.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Yep - stock lighting is better than any vehicle I've ever driven - other than a buddies F150 w/ KC Daylighters on the light bar - and you could have landed a small plane w/ the light they provided.
Dan

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive...

CMNTMXR57 said:
... Now I need to figure out how to keep the lows and the driving lights on at the same time. :) ...
For just a little time (and cash) you can make it happen. On this drawing, substitute "driving light" for "low beam." Since the low beams stay on when you go to high beams, you only need to get power to the driving lights.

Diggs

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, than somethings wrong with my car and the other 4 GTOs I spent almost an hour testing behind our Pontiac store. IMHO, the headlights suck, but maybe I've got 5 bad GTOs here (including mine) - and maybe bad Hoens?

I've owned several cars with better lighting than this (My Aurora with projectors was fantastic, as well was my CTS with projectors- heck my 04 GTP with showoffs and reflectors was better [headlamp bounce and all]). I had the techs at the store align my lights as well as I did it, and we finally concluded that even when pulled up to the wall to start the alignment, the light just isn't bright, period, and extremely focused on center, with a very distinct lower and upper cutoff. Additionally, the light really does not extend out very far. So I came home and took some pictures. Picture 1 is with both my GTO with Hoens and my Minivan with stock halogens parked close to the garage so to establish what I am talking about. Then pic 2 is about 15 feet back from the garage. Pic 3 is about 30 feet back. End result is that I'm not seeing things - these lights suck, at least on my car. And it's not an alignment problem since even up close (when alignment doesn't matter) they suck.

I'd like to see other's comparisons on this, especially from other projector beam cars. I understand the highs are good, but I almost never use my high beams on any of my cars - I shouldn't have to start now...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Thanks Diggs, I will look into something like that when I get the chance.

Miscreant, Other than being lower, your GTO is also a projector. You must've had a newer Aurora, because my '98 was a regular halogen. Anyway, the projector will do exactly that....project. It creates a fine, well controlled, long length beam. I think this is where you are dissappointed. Your minivan being a regular halogen (and I can tell that by the light color which I'll get to in a second), is just basically blanketing everything in front of it in light. This can be evidenced by the beam pattern projected onto your garage door 3 ft in front of the light. This is what you are evidently liking. The payoff for this "flood" of lighting is that your minivan doesn't have anywhere near the distance. I bet if you went out on an open highway, and measured reflectivity off a highway sign a 1/4 mile away, the projectors would light it up considerably better than your minivan.

Onto the color, the GTO's headlights are considerably whiter, brighter and most likely higher on the Kelvin scale. Those headlights on the minivan look like they belong an a 49 Buick with candlepower by comparison because they're sooo yellow.

The best combonation without spending cash on the Hoen's or other form of HID's is to use your headlights for the distance, then use your driving lights to light in frot of the car. I accomplished this by removing the stock driving light bulbs and replaced them with a 9006 headlight bulb. I believe it was a 9006 anyway. In the combo 9005/9006 style bulbs that GM likes to use, one is actually longer than the other. You want the shorter one which I believe is the low beam 9006. You need the shorter one for now unless you want to remove the refractor by drilling out the rivets that hold the shield in. Anyway, that may be the next thing I will be doing and installing the high beam 9005 if it fits the base (which it should). This will help open up that lighting in front of the car. I used Sylvania Silverstar 9006's because my PIAA's didn't want to fit either (length).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts