LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have2 bags full of new poly rear sway bar end link bushings, and seems simple enuf to replace them
was even gonna go out & take a quick look to confirm it was as easy as the Manual made it look, when I had a thought
(uh oh...)

If I replace the end link bushings w/poly ones, and Do Not replace the rear sway bar bushings themselves, at 83Kmi would that be dumb?

doing the pair of sway bar bushings seems to have a lot of Other Stuff that needs to come off, to get to them, and just seems a lot more involved - which makes me inversely proportionally less interested in the job as a whole

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just swapped my rear ones out last weekend on one of my cars. I did it while installing the Hotchkis rear bar that has been sitting on my shelf for a year. I see no problem just changing the end links bacause as you correctly stated getting to the actual bar bushings is quite a bit more involved. The end links are pretty simple. If you are doing the actual rear bar bushings I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket rear bar and installing it at the same time you do the sway bushings. I would hate to go through all that is required to change the bushings without upgrading the bar. The rear bar even with the stock front makes a big difference. I have two of my cars, one for 10 years, with the aftermarket rear bar while running the stock front bar. I did upgrade the front end links to the HD ones with poly bushings.

·
GR-RRR!
8,078 Posts
Changing the sway bar mount bushings isn't that big of a deal. However, if you want to make it easier, get slightly longer sway bar mount bushing bracket bolts. There is just one bolt per side. Personally, I used the stock bolts and it still only took me about two hours to do the bushings and the end links. On the end links, do yourself a favor and just buy the split bushings or simply cut the bushings in half yourself.

·
Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cause I aint sayin i aint been stoopid w/a capital Stoo, at times

Rich - Evs had a pretty slick method in his video of inserting the end link bushings, so will try that b4 slicing

and re the Hotchkiss bar, I get all that, but not for her car Only if somebody gave me one.
Even tho the bar being hollow, because the outer diameter reacts & the inside material just adds weight appeals to the engineer in me.
And having a 1 3/8" front bar for a 66 GTO still sitting in the garage, it's a LOT of weight

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
339 Posts
Rear sway bar end link bushings, upper and lower, are easy peasy lemon squeezy! Front sway bar bushings are even easier than that. The rears are doable without any disassembly, just make sure you have an adjustable angle gear wrench, 13mm I believe.

·
Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
easy peasy lemon squeezy
a Lot of good movie refs in this one!

yeah, the question wasn't was it difficult, it was was it Wise - or was it Gumpian Think will change the end links for the polys soon. Didn't even consider the front bar bushings, because Duh-?

Re Gump Forrest Gump - if you remember Bubba's mom, who fainted when she got the check? She goes to my mother in law's church, as Greenbow Alabama was actually mostly around Beaufort SC, near the Parris Island MCAS & the base itself. Also where The Great Santini took place. Let me tell you, those F4s made a LOT of Noise flying over the pines, F18s so much less obnoxiously noisy

but I digress

·
Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update - i finally bought the bolts for this one, just took the bushings with me, and got bolt that would fit thru it. Believe they are SAE, so no contentious contentions re what size they are... inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale
Stainless, at local Ace. So, at this rate should only take me, um, 6 more wks to USE those bolts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts