LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I missed having navigation more than I thought I would. So I went shopping. The features and screen I liked best were on this Delphi unit;

It's got a big nearly 4" screen that just looks terrific. Very bright. The only thing I didn't like was that it was silver and I wanted it to blend in. So I took it apart and painted the metal housing black.

Then I hard wired it and mounted it firmly in my console. It's really great, just what I wanted and looks factory at first glance. This is a great unit so if you are in the market be sure to consider it. I picked it over other models from Garmin and Magellen for both the screen and the intelligence and ease of use of the software. It does pretty much everything perfect. Even had my favorite cheesesteak place, a real hole in the wall, listed.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Very nice. I'll have to check into that. Right now I have a handheld unit that is OK, but I'd like something with more detail.

Question: how did you set up the power and ground? I'd like something hardwired.

Padre

·
Registered
349 Posts
Please provide more details about how you mounted and powered it. How much does that unit cost?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
That looks very, very nice. Good job on the painting and installation. I've never used a navigation unit. If I don't know where I'm going, I pre-plan the route on my PC mapping software and print out the plan. I have to admit, it's a P.I.T.A. reading those paper maps as I go. A unit like this would really simplify the road trip. It also looks great.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Nice Job, Please post more pics. Close up would be nice. I never wanted nav until I saw that..

My dealer said that the electronics system in these cars was weak and they "cautioned" aginst any additions to the electrical system. Has anyone heard this?

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll go down the questions in order.

It's hard wired to the same spot as my Valentine 1. There are many spare power ports available in the fuse block under the steering wheel. I just wired from there. Finding a ground was easy.

This unit is typically $800, I got it for $625, it's on sale at Circuit City right now, at least the one by my house.

It's mounted by pressure. This unit was a perfect fit for that area. I just wedged it in there and it is not going anywhere. It was very fortunate that such a solid mount could be achieved in the GTO with no serious modifications. I was prepared to do whatever it takes so this was a treat. I have no desire to fabricate any kind of mount at this point.

I ordered an external antenna from ebay for $15 but I don't think I'll be using it. The internal antenna works 100% burried down there. Even when the car is parked in my garage. I guess GPS units improved because there is no way my old Garmin would have worked under these conditions.

The car may have a weak alternator, I don't know. But that would have an affect on high powered electronics like amplifiers and inverters. Units like this draw very, very little power and tax nothing. It's like adding a radar detector.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just checked the Circuit City web site. If you add one to your cart, the price comes up as $584.99, and it appears that there's a $50 rebate too. I doubt that I'm going to get one though. I can't justify that kind of money for a GPS toy that I don't really need. There's too many other toys that I want to spend my money on right now.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Nav

1COOLPC said:
I guess I missed having navigation more than I thought I would. So I went shopping. The features and screen I liked best were on this Delphi unit;

It's got a big nearly 4" screen that just looks terrific. Very bright. The only thing I didn't like was that it was silver and I wanted it to blend in. So I took it apart and painted the metal housing black.

Then I hard wired it and mounted it firmly in my console. It's really great, just what I wanted and looks factory at first glance. This is a great unit so if you are in the market be sure to consider it. I picked it over other models from Garmin and Magellen for both the screen and the intelligence and ease of use of the software. It does pretty much everything perfect. Even had my favorite cheesesteak place, a real hole in the wall, listed.
Hey! Isn't that from the same outfit that made our computers and ignition coils? I think they provide most of the elctronics for this car.

I have a Garmin handheld for now.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old Goat said:
Hey! Isn't that from the same outfit that made our computers and ignition coils? I think they provide most of the elctronics for this car.

I have a Garmin handheld for now.
Delphi is, or at the very least was, a major supplier to GM. I don't know if they still are but I've never heard differently.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tigger said:
I just checked the Circuit City web site. If you add one to your cart, the price comes up as $584.99, and it appears that there's a $50 rebate too. I doubt that I'm going to get one though. I can't justify that kind of money for a GPS toy that I don't really need. There's too many other toys that I want to spend my money on right now.
I may print that out and take it in to the store for a price match. Mine was $625 and I have a $50 rebate coming which brings the final total to $575

1 - 13 of 13 Posts