LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wol Gemut
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not recall from when i changed the struts, is there a piece i can purchase with new bolts to push into place from underneath, or is my best option to attempt to re-thread the bolt.

F7E54165-AD76-4136-84BA-BCC8AB3DDD3A.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
15,861 Posts
If I remember correctly that is a bolt welded to the tower to make a stud. That is a bad spot to be in as far as repairs go. If it were me. I would probably take the strut brace out and cut the studs off at the tower. Then drill down through the head that IIRC is welded to the tower. For the sake of not taking the whole car apart to cut off or grind the old heads off inside the strut tower I would just run a new bolt through the head of the old bolt if that makes sense. Do not try and rethread what remains of the stud. There won't be anything left of it.

This is just my random thought. Someone may come along with a much better idea.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Probably have to pull the front strut off regardless to do a fix. I just tried looking under and couldnt see very well. I agree that rethreading whats left wouldnt be the best

·
Wol Gemut
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, that is a good idea, tapping down from the top. thank you gentlemen.

·
Super Moderator
15,861 Posts
If that stud is in fact a bolt welded into the tower upside down you absolutely could cut the stud off and then drill and tap the head from the top side of the car. You could then loctite in a new stud for the brace or just switch it over to bolts.

Reactions: zech912

·
Worthless reject member
47,715 Posts
Pretty sure mr black is right on the money. It probably is a "bolt" with a circular, flat head that is welded to the sheet metal. It will be hard to get at it from inside the wheel house even with the strut removed because the stamped steel cup that surrounds the strut mount is in there getting in your way.

i would tack weld the new bolt in if you can. It's going to be a pain dealing with R&R'ing the strut tower brace from here on out otherwise.

·
Wol Gemut
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for the additional info nothubertj. i believe i am going to remove the tire/wheel to look around in the well, to see exactly what I will be drilling/tapping into, but I am definitely going with the from-the-top approach. I like the idea of working it with a bolt rather than a nut on that post anyway.

·
Wol Gemut
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
uh oh, that is what is under there? it is impossible to even see the underside of the studs because of the red stamped steel, correct?

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,333 Posts
are they welded in or pressfit in? regardless that's going to be your easy method

·
Wol Gemut
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if they were not welded in, would they not be vulnerable to turning when tightening down the nuts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts