LS1GTO Forums banner

I want to bring back my M6

929 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  silvagto 
#1 ·
Hello all,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted but I need some advice.

Back at the end of 2015, my 05 M6 overheated on me and stalled. I had a flatbed bring it back to my house, where it has been sitting in my driveway covered ever since. Back then, I didn’t have the money to put into getting it fixed because I was planning to propose to my lady, and needed to save for the ring, wedding, and some much needed household repairs that weren’t going to be cheap. I love my goat, but I had to prioritize. Fast forward to now, we have some money to spend, my wife (she said yes, by the way;-) is about to get her second new car, and since I don’t want a new car for myself, I’m going to resurrect my beloved goat, make her better than ever, and I’m thinking twin-turbos.
My 1st question to you all is this: before ANY part from that turbo system goes in, what parts of the drivetrain do I need to replace/change out or reinforce from stock?
Keep in mind it’s been sitting for 4 years. I want to make sure that when the turbos go in, the car won’t disintegrate like the dodge at the end of “The Blues Brothers”?
2nd question: Is there an aftermarket cam/head combo that can be used with forced induction?

Thanx in advance everyone!

-05 M6, 120k miles
-Brute Force CAI
-Throttle Body Spacer
-Predator tune
-Hurst Short-throw
-SLP long-tube headers, hi-flow cats, Loud Mouth 2 catback
-beefed up anti-sway bar (rear)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd start with the clutch and work my way back, twin turbo's will probably net you 700 RWHP so I'd look into a dual disc system rated for that kind of power.
Next, the T56 tranny can't handle that kind of power either, maybe 500 RWHP but not 700+?, I'm currently installing a Tick Performance Level 4 TR6060 tranny which is supposed to be good for 900 RWHP
The stock 2 piece driveshaft with the rubber joints will need to replaced. Consider either an aftermarket 1 or 2 piece unit good for 1000 HP.
The differential can't handle too many clutch dumps at that kind of power either. You'll need to get a beefy limited slip unit with a custom re-build to handle 700 RWHP.
Now finally the axles, you'll need some seriously upgraded inner axle stubs and some upgraded axles, probably anti-wheel hop 1000 HP versions.
Maybe some overkill above but you'll need to touch all those things or you'll be breaking lots of parts.

This is all probably going to cost you over $10K. Thats what it cost me.

#3 ·
I'd start with the clutch and work my way back, twin turbo's will probably net you 700 RWHP so I'd look into a dual disc system rated for that kind of power.
Next, the T56 tranny can't handle that kind of power either, maybe 500 RWHP but not 700+?, I'm currently installing a Tick Performance Level 4 TR6060 tranny which is supposed to be good for 900 RWHP
The stock 2 piece driveshaft with the rubber joints will need to replaced. Consider either an aftermarket 1 or 2 piece unit good for 1000 HP.
The differential can't handle too many clutch dumps at that kind of power either. You'll need to get a beefy limited slip unit with a custom re-build to handle 700 RWHP.
Now finally the axles, you'll need some seriously upgraded inner axle stubs and some upgraded axles, probably anti-wheel hop 1000 HP versions.
Maybe some overkill above but you'll need to touch all those things or you'll be breaking lots of parts.

This is all probably going to cost you over $10K. Thats what it cost me.
Wow! Couldn’t have asked for a better rundown, ljambcr! Thanx! 10k was about what I expected, and I don’t mind overkill. It’s better to be over prepared in cases like this. I’m hoping to have it driving again soon. Thanx again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.