LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometime today. I'll let you know where and when the model predicts landfall.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
I'm almost afraid to look..........but thanks. I'm anxious to get as much info as I can to develop my strategy.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The queu on the Cray has been swamped today. The model is finally running and I should do the postprocessing and visualization work, tomorrow.

·
'Nova GIRL
671 Posts
Yeah I'll bet there a bunch of other people doing the same thing. Looking forward to what it says. What initial conditions did you use?

·
Family Wagon of Fun
9,137 Posts
PLT091 said:
sometime today. I'll let you know where and when the model predicts landfall.
Just wondering, what data are you feeding this equation?

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better late than never

Long story short, I could finally devote time to processing MM5 forecast results for Hurricane Rita. The following images are obtained using a model run spanning 0Z Sept. 22 - 0Z Sept. 24, 2005. The model was initialized using data obtained from the Global Forecasting System. This particular simulation was run using a nested 100X100X33 grid cell domain of 30 km and 10 km resolutions.

Hurricane Rita at land fall (05Z Sept. 23 2005). Gray shading represents cloud water vapor mixing ratio and green vectors represent 2 km-altitude wind directions and magnitudes. The MM5 model was somewhat off on its prediction as the forecasted landfall was further east than the actual storm landfall.

View of Hurricane Rita at landfall from the perspective of the Gulf Coast. Yellow shading represents rain-producing clouds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts