LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, sorry if this has been brought up before but from my LT1 days i remember a fairly cheap little mod that prevents the IAT from pulling power from you. It simply causes max spark advance.

SLP has them under the 93-97 fbody section.

IAT module

It can't be used with custom tune and aftermarket MAFS, but for the price the guys with basic bolt ons could benefit in theory. Does anyone know if this is an option for the GTO ?? If it does it takes the IAT arguement out of picking a intake setup.

I'll call SLP tomorrow probably to see if they know anything.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
You can achieve the same by going over to Radio Shack, picking up a 5 pack of 4.7Kohm resistors and inserting a resistor into the plug. That fancy unit does the same thing.

It's called a "timing tricker" that tricks the PCM into thinking the real intake air temps are 57* which is the most aggressive points in both the spark and fuel curves.

I've done it, but if it's 90* or 0* out, I wouldn't as that is a big difference that could cause some serious issues from incorrect tuning vs. what is actually needed.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Many cars suffer this design "flaw" of poorly placed intake temp sensors. What I did when my car was supercharged was to relocate it by extending the wires between the harness and clip and then mounting the intake temp sensor in a more heat friendly location that shows the actual intake temps vs underhood temps which may hurt performance.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes perfect sense to me that you can gain from this but once the actual temp goes to far either way your "trick" now becomes a problem. Just something i noticed and started thinking about.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For less than a dollar, its not a Tornado mod -- as this actually works ;) The PCM will retard up to 3 degrees (in the F-bods, haven't looked at the GTO's file yet) via the IAT.

·
Sold 5/2/09
657 Posts
Brains said:
For less than a dollar, its not a Tornado mod -- as this actually works ;) The PCM will retard up to 3 degrees (in the F-bods, haven't looked at the GTO's file yet) via the IAT.
Not trying to be smart, but how many of us have actually done this though? Zangels car probably has it though since it's so wicked :gr_devil:

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Plug in that resistor and watch your IAT magically become 57* all the time, anytime. 57* is the PCM's most aggressive points in both fuel and spark curves.

Trust me, it does it's job.

·
Registered
262 Posts
ZAngel's car has it tuned out in the PCM actually ;) Once the turbo setup is done, it'll go back in to account for the heat while in boost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts