LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm holding out for the 05 but have started thinking about what type of system I want in it.

My understanding is that the stock system has the 'sub speakers' located behind the rear seats.

My question is whether there is room enough in this area to place 8" Subs? I would be going with a new set of components up front, taking out the rear fill, and replacing the sub speakers with 8" subs.

Probably go with an Eclipse Deck if I even replace the stock HU. I don't want to take away any of the trunk space.

·
Si vis pacem, paro bellum
761 Posts
i posted about this in another thread and said that my local soundshop that i go to said that it should not be too hard to fit anything up to 2 10"s. 10"s is wqhat i was planning on going with, i am still waiting for my 05 as well. a few people on the board posted that they doubted there would be room. guess we'll see. the shop i go to does all the installations for the NBA team here so they must be good at their work and know what they are talking about.
mike

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure 2 JL 8w7's should do the job.

Plus I mostly listen to Rock and the reponsiveness of 8" subs should be great.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I highly doubt there will be any room for larger subs... I checked out the Rhys Millen 'show' car at the Pontiac GTO nationals this summer. It had the interior stripped, but still had the stock gas tank in behind the rear seatback sheetmetal. Looking down the sub holes there is a bracket that sticks up right beneath where the subs would go, maybe 1.5" below the rear 'deck' (panel the subs mount to) Even if you could bend these mounting brackets, the gas tank is still 1/2" below... Anybody tried to mod these brackets yet???

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bowdawg pretty well summed it up. The stock sub opening in the rear deck is 6.5" in diameter. The clearance from the underside of the rear deck to the top of the gas tank bracket is right at about 3". So, you are pretty well screwed from upgrading subs using the factory location. Bending the tank brackets would require trying to drill new holes for the bolts, but there just isn't enough bracket. I guess you could try to relocate the brackets more to the center of the tank, thus giving more mounting depth, but you now face the problem of the small diameter factory cut-out. Options: remove the gas tank and torch/jigsaw cut a larger opening. This would have to be done from the underside as there's not much room to work with inside the vehicle. My advice, go with trunk mounted boxes or build a false floor. HTH.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I like the stock locations, makes it like a hatch back as far as bass production.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts