LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the magnacharger installed and the tune the shop put on is pretty much short of crap.
I called magnuson and got the injector size, 42 pound, and the IFR they stated was 5.25, but when setting to this I am knocking even worse then when using what the shop put in.
Fuel pressure is supposed to be 60 for a return system and 55 for a returnless. Mine is sitting in the 60 range so I am pretty sure its getting enough fuel.

If anyone has an IFR table from a s/c or m/c system using 42 lbs injectors they could share I would appreciate it just so I can eliminate whats causing this. I am also getting TONS of misfires on all cylinders so I am replacing all the plugs and double checking all wires to make sure.

I love this m/c but damn the shop did a piss poor job. Yes I know I should take it back to them, but if they did this poor of a job I am afraid to let them learn on my gto.

if anyone is interested in seeing the tune or efi logging and can give ANY insite or suggestion PLEASE DO.

thx

LINK to EFI and LS1edit FILES

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Have you tried the stock magnacharger tune and then modifying that? It should have the right IFR table in it already? They use some cool methods of tuning that most other tuners probably wouldnt see such as using the IAT in the intake manifold to read actual cylinder inlet temp rather than the intake into the blower.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,660 Posts
Maybe you can try Jeff Creech of CAM. He's one of the best tuners out there and he's in NC. He'll make it right and get the best tune possible for the car.

http://www.carolinaautomasters.com

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob said:
Maybe you can try Jeff Creech of CAM. He's one of the best tuners out there and he's in NC. He'll make it right and get the best tune possible for the car.

http://www.carolinaautomasters.com
Yah I have heard of them through the carolina f-body club with good reviews.

to get the magnuson tune I have to pay $350, but will call and see.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,660 Posts
I've known Jeff for about 8-9 years. Way before he started his own business. Very level headed and knows how to tune it. He's done quite a few tunes for guys up here in the MAFB(Mid Atlantic F-Body). I will be heading down there whenever I install my cam and I'm in MD.

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Why do you have to pay for it?! It should have been included in your kit price? I'd get the magnuson tune and start there, the way they setup the timing to use actual cylinder inlet temps and like will probably save you one hell of a headache. OR you can send your PCM to me and I can load the newest maggie tune on it for you if you have an M6.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks but I have an A4. Do you have the ls1 file?
I will call them and see if I can get that tune from them via LS1edit ls1 file.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Chris,

What does the IFR table look like?

·
Registered
91 Posts
5.80 5.81 5.83 5.83 5.85 5.95 5.95 5.95 5.95 5.95 5.97 5.98 5.99 6.00 6.02 6.04 6.06
0Vac 0r 100 KPA 80Vac or 20 KPA

This is the IFR from the Magna Charger rev b Gto

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HOLEY COW BATMAN, no wonder I am running so freaking LEAN
My poor plug completely fouled out in only about 800 miles, sure hope nothing else got burned up. Had to replace them today after logging and getting tons-o-misfires.
Did they change the WOT PE vs RPM?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU
One question, is that the HP dump or Ls1edit, someone said they are flip flops of each other on the IFR table?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was compensating by increasing the MAF 105% to richen it up it was running so lean.
I take it you are not seeing this?
From what I can see, everytime that AFR drops, and MAP hits 100+ its knocking. So should I just make the change on the IFR table in the 95 and 100 spot which are 5.28, and 90 which is 5.29 and lower them to get more fuel? Or change the WOT PE table?

NO Knock
MAP 100+
AFR 14.68
IFR 5.56
TP = 40

Knock 1.3
MAP 100+
AFR = 13.09
IFR = 5.28
tp = 100 wot

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ahh I see they found out the fuel table was backwards...hmmmmm;) At least from how mine was. HP tuners is just in VAC, but still reads WOT on the left and cruise on the right. MC just had the table backwards. And kick *ss your IFR table from the other page is a richer table then this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Magna PE Table Rev B 1.130 1.130 1.130 1.130 1.130 1.130 1.170 1.220 1.220 1.220 1.220 1.230 1.240 1.260 1.280 1.300 1.300 1.300 1.300
Map to enable 85 kpa Hot and cold throttle 18% Only do the IFR and the PE tabe leave your mass air and VE tables alone

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Will do, I didn't want to mess with the maf table, but I knew I could richen it up or lean it out quick using that and see if I could stop the knock.
85kpa to enable, wow stock is 15kpa.
Just an FYI check your WOT Hot Temp - Stock its 140 ( unfortunately C not F) which means the WOT HOT table will not get used unless its 298 F. Dropping that to 65c you will see you WOT HOT Table finally get used.

I also put up the VE, High and Low octane tables on my site. The VE table was modified by the tuner, not sure if you meant to leave what they did, or if it should be still stock.

site link

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JCMGTO said:
Ahh I see they found out the fuel table was backwards...hmmmmm;) At least from how mine was. HP tuners is just in VAC, but still reads WOT on the left and cruise on the right. MC just had the table backwards. And kick *ss your IFR table from the other page is a richer table then this.
Ok, I thought that lower then the value needed was richer telling the pcm you have smaller injectors to get more fuel. So then why the knock when it went even richer? running at the 5.2(x) range it always knocked, but leaner it didn't?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well you are correct the smaller the value is going to make the PCM spray more and richen you up. That's reason why I say your table is richer. There is a point that you can cross the threshold and run too rich and show KR. Too much un burnt fuel left in cylinder can pre-ignite too. What are your O2 readings?

Also I saw you mention that your rubbing hood? So am I. It could be false knock. Cause under WOT, I have no KR. But under Part throtlle I will see it at certain points. That could be where the engine is torques just enough to "tap" the hood, and KR sensors pick it up. I haven't ruled that out yet. False KR is a real thing.

Also the timing table MC did is very aggressive. They actually have more timing then factory up to the 3000 range. Then drops drastically. Which makes no sense too me. For a boosted car to drop that quick. Cause it is right at the point boost starts, but if KR starts it will run wild quickly, and they may have a sharp drop that may not be able to control it.

I'm lowering my timing in the lower end a bit. Factory timing is 35 degrees up to about 2000RPM and tapers off. MC is 38 degrees then drops off. Which if I can pass through the 3500RPM with no KR I'm good. But if it shows up there all goes to hell. This is why I say the ramp is too steep. It drops from 38 to 19 quickly. Where as factory drops from 35 to 23 to 19. More steps in between but it is smoother.

And if IIRC less timing in lower end gives more TQ and grunt (like we need it;)), and more timing in higher RPM gives more HP.

But I think with such a drastic drop in timing, our Part Throttle is getting hurt. Unless you catch at the right cell, KR pops up and they have our KR attack quick. Which I prefer it does. Since it will protect us.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Oh I have also noticed that "heat soak" effects us BAAADDDDD. My VE table LTFT's are great after tweeking, except for when IAT gets overapprox 125 F, then starts dropping. LTFT's start to go positive again. Yet I have not seen a table to correct this. May just also cotrol timing by IAT.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure if you have the 1.5 Ls1edit, but there is a LTFT Control - boundaries now, and an enable at 55c min, 140c max ( possible).
Also the PE table from above shows the Max PE at 1.3, but default is 1.13 for the Max Allowed Enrichment, its possible that this field is offsetting/over riding the one in the PE Enrichment RPMs.
The Map to enable 85 kpa since stock is 15, to be at 85kpa your going to have the %tps pretty high and PE would not kick in until pretty high in the RPMs.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, have these changes in, save the 85 kpa to enable pe. going to test that and see before and afters

Reset the timing from 64 gms/cyl:2200 down and over to 8000 rpm to stock for hi and low octane since they have it really high and will for sure knock. once this is in I will up the timing slowly until knock returns then back it down again. Then its time for a trip to the dyno to fine tune it. And I thought the m/c was going to be easier then the cam :(

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
You sure you dont want to just send me your PCM and I'll load the correct tune rather than hunting in the dark?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts