·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Death. And then they crush the car. :eek:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GTOJeff said:
Anyone know what the penalty is for not having a front plate in IL?

yes i do know as i have been pulled over for lack of one many times in my grand prix. it sort of depends on where you get caught.
i got caught once by a state trooper in Palatine for no front plate and tinted windows. he took my license and i had to go to the court house with pics of the plate on and tints off. i got my license back with no fine.
i got caught again by troopers that were doing roadside checks. they gave me a written warning which went on my record. which meant that if caught got again within a year i would get a ticket. then i caught in Pontiac by a state trooper. he took my license and i had to pay $75 bucks to get it back. it was at this point that i realized that state of IL is broke and the troopers are pulling over for anything possible. i may try to go w/o the plate again and see what happens.
hope this helps.
like i said, it sort of depends on where you get caught.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Illinois state police are traffic/highway police. Thats all they do is look for stupid shit to pull you over for. Most towns wont say anything to you about the plate unless you act up. Then they will nail you for everything.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's a $50 fine and only an equipment violation, not a traffic violation. Most cops, unless they have an attitude will at least give you a warning.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
It's a $50 fine and only an equipment violation, not a traffic violation. Most cops, unless they have an attitude will at least give you a warning.

yeah, but if it is a written warning then tht means that it also goes on your record for a year. which means the next time they wont be so generous. trust me i know from first hand experience. its a bitch.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I considered putting it on last night. Then I read the instruction sheet (ya I know, wimp). I am not drilling three holes in my front bummper. The fine is cheaper than the bumper.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Usually most cops are nice, if you are not messing around and are respectful to them. I would simply tell them, give me whatever fine you must ...but I refuse to drill into my car. If it came down to it i'd cut the plate up and zip tie it to the grille temporarily to appease them.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I'm always nice to cops. They got's the power after all. I never "ask" for a fine. I take it and sometimes ask if I can pay it there to avoid all the court bru-ha-ha. Sometimes it works....

·
PC load letter?
236 Posts
Stupid question - If I'm from a state that only requires a back plate and I decide to stroll through Illinois, will they pull me over and ticket me for not having a front plate?

I actually live in Iowa, which DOES require both front and back, but I specifically told the dealer I did not want one on, I'll take my chances. My roomate moved back to Iowa, from Pennsylvania, last year and still has his PA plates on back (no front). He hasn't gotten pulled over yet but I'm guessing it's cause he still has the PA plates on.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
edge929 said:
Stupid question - If I'm from a state that only requires a back plate and I decide to stroll through Illinois, will they pull me over and ticket me for not having a front plate?

I actually live in Iowa, which DOES require both front and back, but I specifically told the dealer I did not want one on, I'll take my chances. My roomate moved back to Iowa, from Pennsylvania, last year and still has his PA plates on back (no front). He hasn't gotten pulled over yet but I'm guessing it's cause he still has the PA plates on.

hmmm, good question. im gonna guess that they cant do anything about it. but not totally sure

·
2,432 Posts
edge929 said:

I don't think they can do anything about that. You aren't breaking their law because their plate law doesn't apply to you. Maybe TprGTO can confirm?

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Taxachusetts

I don't think I've ever seen a plate frame that didn't infringe on our regulations.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Old Goat said:
I don't think I've ever seen a plate frame that didn't infringe on our regulations.
Not for nothing OldGoat but is there anything that doesnt' infringe on some regulation in Mass? I lived there for the first 24 years of my life. Heck, the bikers had to ride to N'Hampshire to get a tatoo.

It is still one of the most beautiful states in the Union. Just drive up the coast of Cape Ann in the fall..

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
New Hamster

sxty8goats said:
Not for nothing OldGoat but is there anything that doesnt' infringe on some regulation in Mass? I lived there for the first 24 years of my life. Heck, the bikers had to ride to N'Hampshire to get a tatoo.

It is still one of the most beautiful states in the Union. Just drive up the coast of Cape Ann in the fall..
Amen to that. I had a place off 4A in Wilmot near New London and Kearsage far off the beaten path and a dirt class 5. At night you could see BILLIONS of stars with the naked eye. Sadly, all good things pass... I was a poor picker, neither Ex had a soul. :(

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Old Goat said:
Amen to that. I had a place off 4A in Wilmot near New London and Kearsage far off the beaten path and a dirt class 5. At night you could see BILLIONS of stars with the naked eye. Sadly, all good things pass... I was a poor picker, neither Ex had a soul. :(
Yep, I used to love sitting on the back side of Crane's beach in Ipswitch to watch the sun set. Only accessable by boat. In the early spring and late fall there was never more than one or two people back there..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts