LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post on here much so I guess I will start with a little back story. I've been a member on this form for quite a few years now and there is a lot of great info on here so thank you to all that talk a lot more than I do.
I have had my Goat for 11 years now; it was the first car I bought for myself. It is a 05 Yellow Jacket M6 with 31k on the ticker now. Bought it with 17k. I spent a few years trying to figure out what car I was going to buy after we paid off my wife's car and ended up with the GTO. I only daily drove it for around a year until I decided to buy a POS Caviler as my Daily instead (only because we moved 20 miles away from my work so it was much cheaper to drive.)
I autocross my car monthly and have done a few mods, mostly suspension and brake related (also kept all the stock parts). Though I drive it pretty hard on the track, it still in really good shape. Interior is perfect, exterior has a few nicks and scratches but overall it is clean.
Over the last few years I have become more frustrated with SpongeBob on the track and have enjoyed driving it less and less. I have started to look for something else to track but my better half says we don't have the room or money yet to buy another toy, at least for 2 years. So the options are to wait or sell the car. I "Decided" I was going to sell since the market was so hot and the miles are so low. As I started to clean him up it became more and more clear to me that I could not bring myself to do it. I love my car too much. Leading to my question, how many of you are still in love with you car and emotionally attached to it. I could part with any of my cars, jut not this one.

·
Seriously?
1,724 Posts
I'll admit it... I am. Not once during this out of control used car market have I thought of selling it. I have been putting money into it! Just trying to bring it into this century and do some stuff I had intentions on doing years ago but couldn't really afford. Every time I fire it up and/or go for a quick ride, it still feels like day 1 when I brought it home from the dealer.

Let's face it... it was not produced in mass numbers so there aren't a lot of them around. Couple that with how many have been wrecked or ran to death and that number has to be less than half. I'm keeping mine forever. It would take stupid money for me to sell it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The used car market is hot, but just like the housing market, you'd pay through the nose for anything to replace it with if you sold it, so it's really equal in the end.

I do love my GTO. It gets lots of attention at gas stations and such, but I'd still love it even without the feedback. My previous car, a '95 Z28 Camaro, I loved that car as well, but she taught me to hate it over time. It drove well, and you could sling it around corners so predictably that it was lots of fun; But it was a blood sacrifice to work on, demanding skin from your hands because there was so little room to turn a wrench....not to mention the suicidal optispark that strand you when things were unexpected. I miss driving it. I dont miss owning it.

My GTO is so easy to work on in comparison. My only fear is having some idiot wreck into me, or always having sticker shock when looking at most non-engine parts. I dont see a day when I'll get rid of it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It crosses my mind occasionally.

Although I sold my 04 a decade ago only to regret it so I bought an 06 a few years ago because I enjoyed the first one so much.

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
352 Posts
I love mine! If and only if I were buying a new car its challenger scat pack 6 speed in destroyer grey. Other than that. Camaro is gonna be axed and I do like the mustang in the GT track pack 2 version cause of the wheels and areo. But the new cars are getting just too expensive for me when mines paid for. Before long manuals won't be an option, then the v8, eventually but there will be a day.

·
Registered
2005 M6 MBM GTO
102 Posts
Wouldn’t sell mine either. Saved every dime I got for the longest of time because I wanted one so bad. I’d go to sonic on Friday nights with friends and just sit while everyone else got food and drinks. I probably seemed extremely cheap but I got my dream car in the end.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I’m fortunate enough to have a life n wife that lets me turn my yard into a junkyard. Actually it’s first thing she said I couldn’t do when we moved in but she loves me. That said the goat and I have bonded in the last 7 years and 10,000 miles. It’ll be one of the last to go should the need arise. I said I’ll never buy newer again unless it’s for the wife so it’ll like be my newest car until CA turns up the petro guzzler tax and implements petro burn days.

·
Seriously?
1,724 Posts
What's available brand new today and their costs are probably the biggest factors for me. I'm just not really interested in owning a decked out Challenger, Camaro or Mustang. None of them give me the same feeling I had when I first saw the GTO. I would much rather have something older to replace it with... a 2008 or 2009 Cadillac STS-V, 1996 Impala SS, 1987 Grand National, or a 1987-1989 Trans Am or 1991 or 1992 Camaro Z28 to LS swap. Hopefully, I am never put in that position to make that choice. If anything, I'd rather pick a garage mate for the GTO.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM
1 - 18 of 18 Posts