LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I orders a set of Stainless Works headers from BMR, and then pussed out a few days later and cancelled the order. What scared me was having to drop the steering rack for the install.

Has anyone done this themselves, and could you provide any pointers

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If the rack wasn't so easy to get to, it wouldn't be in the way of the header.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
I too am afraid of getting in the middle of the job and not being able to complete it......I think I am going with the dynatech's it seems like the rack does not have to be dropped....

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTOdriver7 said:
this might be a job for the professionals
Well I've got access to a lift and all the tools I could ever need, I just don't know exactly how to drop that rack, and I hate going into projects blind, but I also think half the fun of modding a car is doing it yourself

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
need clarification

when you say that the steering needs to be lowered. is this just temporary to slip the headers in? or this a permanent adjustmant?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
when you say that the steering needs to be lowered. is this just temporary to slip the headers in? or this a permanent adjustmant?
You have to lower the steering rack install headers and then put it back.

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, but is it just a matter of loosening the bolts to make some room, or does it have to be totally removed

·
Registered
464 Posts
I did it in my driveway. You must remove the lines, the steering shaft bolt, and 2 mounting bolts. Very simple and straight forward. Especially if you have a lift. Tightening the lines back up can be fun, cause the room is a little tighter. If you feel comfortable enough doing the headers, you should be fine removing the rack. I left the tie-rods hooked up. Just use something to support the rack when out. Don't let it just hang. If you remove it don't let the shaft spin. ANd make sure the steering wheel IS locked. Do not let them get out of alignment. There is an SRS sensor that can be messed up. But very easy to keep it all in line.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
JCMGTO said:
I did it in my driveway. You must remove the lines, the steering shaft bolt, and 2 mounting bolts. Very simple and straight forward. Especially if you have a lift. Tightening the lines back up can be fun, cause the room is a little tighter. If you feel comfortable enough doing the headers, you should be fine removing the rack. I left the tie-rods hooked up. Just use something to support the rack when out. Don't let it just hang. If you remove it don't let the shaft spin. ANd make sure the steering wheel IS locked. Do not let them get out of alignment. There is an SRS sensor that can be messed up. But very easy to keep it all in line.
I read your sig and was thinking to myself, this guy has an s/c and LT headers but still runs the stock exhaust? Please tell me you just haven't added the exhaust to your sig yet :)

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JCMGTO said:
See, thats the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks. Now the only question is do I dare release the death grip I have on my wallet?

·
Registered
464 Posts
BluGoatDvr said:
...and did you drop those in from the top or the bottom?

Must go up from the underside. Can be done on Jack and jackstands, but recomend a lift.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Headers on this car shouldn't scare most people. On a fbody it was hell on earth. I'm not currently making a move on the headers but i think i could pull it off with out problems with some good instructions on the steering rack step.

The real issue is jacking the car up. I don't have a lift and jacking a car that high is not something to half ass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts