LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I got my car back from the bodyshop today. This second paint job on the bumper is worst than the first one. The silver doesn't match at all and I also noticed that they didn't remove the grills and the license plate bracket at all (I can see that it was poorly masked). I don't wanna take it back to the same dealership 'cause they will make it worst and they are not happy that I keep coming back ... can I take this car to another Mr. Goodwrench bodyshop and have it painted for a 3rd time? I was looking for a 1-800 number, but they don't have any ...

I'm so mad and sad at the same time ...

any suggestions,
Gianni

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Gianni D said:
Hi guys,

I got my car back from the bodyshop today. This second paint job on the bumper is worst than the first one. The silver doesn't match at all and I also noticed that they didn't remove the grills and the license plate bracket at all (I can see that it was poorly masked). I don't wanna take it back to the same dealership 'cause they will make it worst and they are not happy that I keep coming back ... can I take this car to another Mr. Goodwrench bodyshop and have it painted for a 3rd time? I was looking for a 1-800 number, but they don't have any ...

I'm so mad and sad at the same time ...

any suggestions,
Gianni

You can take it to any G.M. dealer you wish.

If you are that unhappy get the Pontiac Rep involved.
See the body Shop manager first and talk with him.
Ask him if the job he did would be acceptable for his own car.

Remember kill them with kindness but don't take no for an answer

I would call 1 800 2 pontiac(costomer service) to start a file on this so you and P.M.D. have a paper trail.

JMHO
Dan

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holeshot said:
You can take it to any G.M. dealer you wish.

If you are that unhappy get the Pontiac Rep involved.
See the body Shop manager first and talk with him.
Ask him if the job he did would be acceptable for his own car.

Remember kill them with kindness but don't take no for an answer

I would call 1 800 2 pontiac(costomer service) to start a file on this so you and P.M.D. have a paper trail.

JMHO
Dan
I will file a complaint with Pontiac and I definitively want another GM bodyshop.

Thanks,
Gianni

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I would go to a different dealer and get the local pontiac rep on the case of the shop u used. No reason for half assed work on a new car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just called Pontiac Customer Service and the rep. told me to visit the bodyshop again on Monday and talk to the bodyshop manager. I'm pretty sure they are going to refuse to do any type of work on my GTO after everything is settled ... lol

Gianni

·
HOTROD HANDYMAN
434 Posts
Gianni D said:
Just called Pontiac Customer Service and the rep. told me to visit the bodyshop again on Monday and talk to the bodyshop manager. I'm pretty sure they are going to refuse to do any type of work on my GTO after everything is settled ... lol

Gianni
Before you have it done again anywhere it needs to be stripped,To many coats of base/clear paint will make it crack and peel VERY easy if it gets bumped. I have been in the autobody business for 30 years and have seen it thousands of times. Just my $.02 :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gianni D said:

Gianni
can't wait to get the bodyshop to do the job right ... let's see what excuses they make ...

Gianni

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Gianni D said:
can't wait to get the bodyshop to do the job right ... let's see what excuses they make ...

Gianni
Just remember what I said Before

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Gianni D said:

Gianni
I had the same problem. They had to paint over my frf,rrf,trunk lid,lower rear spoiler plus I had them paint the after market hood I got. This was done at a GM body shop also. But to get it done I had to call Pontiac Center, they were very helpful. Call 1-866-942-4368 ex# 47558 ask for Linda, she took care of all the paint problems. But I still need to go back for some minor paint errors and to get it buffed out. A lot of haze and "orange peel" on it and the body guy said "DO NOT polish it for 60 days, and come back for the problems then". It got it painted on 7/14 so I have a way to go. It drives me NUTS that I can't polish it......grrrrrrrr, but I can use my Microfiber towel on it all I want....hehehehehe

you can see some pics of it here:

http://community-2.webtv.net/MRROK/ROKSROCKET04GTO/

ROK

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ROKS ROCKET said:
I had the same problem. They had to paint over my frf,rrf,trunk lid,lower rear spoiler plus I had them paint the after market hood I got. This was done at a GM body shop also. But to get it done I had to call Pontiac Center, they were very helpful. Call 1-866-942-4368 ex# 47558 ask for Linda, she took care of all the paint problems. But I still need to go back for some minor paint errors and to get it buffed out. A lot of haze and "orange peel" on it and the body guy said "DO NOT polish it for 60 days, and come back for the problems then". It got it painted on 7/14 so I have a way to go. It drives me NUTS that I can't polish it......grrrrrrrr, but I can use my Microfiber towel on it all I want....hehehehehe

you can see some pics of it here:

http://community-2.webtv.net/MRROK/ROKSROCKET04GTO/

ROK
I just came back from the bodyshop. I think the Pontiac rep had already called the bodyshop because the guy was kinda waiting for me. I showed him all the areas and he agreed with me that they were poorly done. They are going to order new grill inserts 'cause they didn't remove them (just masked them). I gotta go back again 'cause they stained one of my rims and they polished the rim out, but now the clearcoat is peeling off ... so that means a new rim.

I'll keep you guys posted,
Gianni

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Gianni D said:
I just came back from the bodyshop. I think the Pontiac rep had already called the bodyshop because the guy was kinda waiting for me. I showed him all the areas and he agreed with me that they were poorly done. They are going to order new grill inserts 'cause they didn't remove them (just masked them). I gotta go back again 'cause they stained one of my rims and they polished the rim out, but now the clearcoat is peeling off ... so that means a new rim.

I'll keep you guys posted,
Gianni
Glad to hear that Gianni D
Hope it works out this time.
Dan

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I went back to the dealership again to show him the clearcoat peeling on the rim. They are going to order a new rim and the front bumper Pontiac emblem that they also scratched during the paint prep process. They will give me a call as soon as all the parts come in.

The bodyshop manager even admitted that they didn't remove the bumper at all like they are supposed to when doing this type of paint work. I think it was "just to save time" thing. Well, I guess it backfired and they have to do all the work again and pay for the damaged grills, emblem, and rim. I don't think you can call them "cost effective" ... lol

This is not the first time I have had problems with a GM dealership, especially a Mr. Goodwrench bodyshop. GM cars are really good cars (they can be improved though), but GM's reputation suffers when some dealerships don't offer the customer service that people expect. There are good dealerships out there (I'm really pleased with the customer service at Axelrod Pontiac), but I guess I haven't found one that is truly exceptional ...

a GM employee's 2 cents,
Gianni

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got a call today from the Pontiac customer service rep. He talked to the bodyshop manager about my bumper problems. I told him about all the items they are going to replace. He'll give me another call next week.

I'm really happy with the way Pontiac customer service is treating the case. They always call on time and they have actually called the dealership a couple of times. I'm thinking about asking them to have a customer rep inspect the GTO with me next time I get it back from the bodyshop.

Thanks for all the help guys,
G

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Gianni D said:
Just got a call today from the Pontiac customer service rep. He talked to the bodyshop manager about my bumper problems. I told him about all the items they are going to replace. He'll give me another call next week.

I'm really happy with the way Pontiac customer service is treating the case. They always call on time and they have actually called the dealership a couple of times. I'm thinking about asking them to have a customer rep inspect the GTO with me next time I get it back from the bodyshop.

Thanks for all the help guys,
G
Thats a good idea, however gettin a rep to a dealership in an instant is next to impossible.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealership called today to inform me that all the new parts are in (Pontiac emblem, grill inserts, and new rim). The goat will be going to the bodyshop for the 3rd time ... and hopefully the last time!!

I will keep you guys posted!
G

·
3,327 Posts
:bubbrub

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the Goat back today and I guess they got it right this time. It's not perfect, but I'm satisfied with it.

Now my question is ... can I use the clay bar and wax it right away? or should I wait a month?

Gianni

·
Registered
1 Posts
just so you guys know panel painting is almost always a tough color match, its why most shops have to blend. It sucks with a front bumper since the shop would've had to blend the hood and both fenders just to match one panel. Some silvers are difficult, especially of the light blue variety. Not to mention color is usually a little different on plastics than metal, depends on the color though.

color matching for automotives isnt a perfected art. its a 'blendable' perfected art which is more margin for error and work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts