LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't look like a 199 dollar paint job.

I've always been told that Maaco can do just as good of job at a respray as anyone but it will cost a bit more than 199 dollars.
It ran me $4200. They masked everything off, no over spray on the windshield or any of the glass. There's no orange peel that I can see.

The saying "you get what you pay for" rings true for jusy about anything.

I'll post some.of the before pics if I still have them

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
436 Posts
Looks great! You gave that car a new lease on life with many more years of enjoyment. Honestly it may not be an investment per say. However for what you probably paid for the car and the paint job you saved money instead of buying a newer vehicle especially in today's car market. Prices are insane. I work at a dealer everyday I just shake my head. Hope to see more progress with this build. Good job! 👍

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great! You gave that car a new lease on life with many more years of enjoyment. Honestly it may not be an investment per say. However for what you probably paid for the car and the paint job you saved money instead of buying a newer vehicle especially in today's car market. Prices are insane. I work at a dealer everyday I just shake my head. Hope to see more progress with this build. Good job! 👍
Thank you, it's not an "investment" like you said but I'm making sure she's around for a while. It's going tonend up in my son hands. It's my last project. It got a lot done other then this. New rack and pinion, engine mounts, shocks and tires.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What panels did they do?
They shot the whole car. The hood was the worst off but the whole car needed a paint job. The trunk are was also fairly rough paint was chipping off. Also if you look at the original pic of the black mask off, on the roof there was a 2" piece of paint missing with surface rust.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a bad price for the whole car. Did you do any prep work for them beforehand?
Yeah I prepped and sanded as much as I could. Removed the rear spoiler. Did a little bondo work on the roof and hood because it needed it. I had removed the windshield because that's what I used to do so I could get all the surface rust and make sure it wasn't on the pinch weld. Replaced it after they where done with the roof line.

Bangged out some dents on the hood with a rubber mallet and a piece of wood. It took me about a week to get everything done working on it as I could. Then had the car delivered to them.

I also told them to take their time and I'm sure that helped with pricing. It took then like 2.5 weeks to get it back to me. They also buttoned down the front facia because when I bought it it was lose now is all good.

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,535 Posts
Congrats...car looks good. MAACO is crapshoot. I have seen really good work and some awful work. It all depends on how much prep and finish work gets done. I had them shoot my 95 Monte Carlo back in 2001...the huge run in the hood really pissed me off....it was their top of the line job...I almost wound up arrested when they refused to fix it. The GF just had her Hyundai Accent Painted with the Mid Range single stage for about 2 grand....looks as good as OEM....with the exception of a minor run on a fender, poorly masked mirrors...and the icing on the cake...Sprayed over the "dealer" sticker on the trunk.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats...car looks good. MAACO is crapshoot. I have seen really good work and some awful work. It all depends on how much prep and finish work gets done. I had them shoot my 95 Monte Carlo back in 2001...the huge run in the hood really pissed me off....it was their top of the line job...I almost wound up arrested when they refused to fix it. The GF just had her Hyundai Accent Painted with the Mid Range single stage for about 2 grand....looks as good as OEM....with the exception of a minor run on a fender, poorly masked mirrors...and the icing on the cake...Sprayed over the "dealer" sticker on the trunk.
Maaco is a crap shoot. I do think it comes down to 2 things talent and management. This particular shop was recommended to me by a friend who had his truck done and was happy with the work. The manager and my buddy are vets like me maybe that helped with everything. Vets taking care of Vets type deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
14,822 Posts
Looks good. I've seen a few terrible and a few really good paint jobs come out of them. One was really good but the kid who had the car used his own car in college during an auto body class. So he and the others worked on it and even the professor jumped in. Did what you did and had it sprayed and it turned out great.

Good job on bringing the car back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks good. I've seen a few terrible and a few really good paint jobs come out of them. One was really good but the kid who had the car used his own car in college during an auto body class. So he and the others worked on it and even the professor jumped in. Did what you did and had it sprayed and it turned out great.

Good job on bringing the car back.
Thanks 🤘🏽

1 - 18 of 18 Posts