LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I need to clay my car and put good wax on it for the winter before I cover it. Hoefully my old beater will last the winterand i will only have to drive the goat a couple times.

Can you damage the car claying it? Zanio take out the swirl marks?

thanks for any help

·
Sooper Genyus
463 Posts
Claying can damage the paint if done incorrectly, but it's a pretty simple thing to do. Make sure the finish is freshly washed, use plenty of lubricant, and use light pressure - you'll be fine.

Zaino ZPC Fusion can remove light defects. Their other products will not.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of getting the zanio kit thats like 80 bucks.

The car is in bad need of it

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
as long as you don't get any rocks in your clay, you should be all set

also, if you've never really detailed a car and you aren't that much into it, why spend all the money on Zanio?

you can spend half the money, get good protection, use an easier product that goes on by hand and to you it will still be 100x better than what you're used to

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1969, what product?

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
I use Mother's products for almost everything

if you look at the first and third pictures you can see everything from the bumps in the sand at the beach to clouds to people and trees and my cars aren't really good colors to show that stuff up

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
don't wax before claying, it will keep the clay from picking up everything.

What you want to do is use Dawn blue dish soap to wash the car thoroughly, maybe go over it a couple times to make sure you catch everything.

THEN claybar it - what the clay does is shear off any contaminants, use a solution of soapy water (I use Zaino car wash with distilled water) to lubricate the surface and just slide the clay on the car. It is pretty easy, and you can feel the car get smoother as the contaminates are removed.

Then you may want to polish the surface if you have any swirls

and then apply the Z5 and then Z2

·
Registered
289 Posts
"What you want to do is use Dawn blue dish soap to wash the car thoroughly, maybe go over it a couple times to make sure you catch everything."

What kind of crack are you smoking? I thought dish soap was the most harmful thing you could watch your car with short of paint remover?

·
Registered
39 Posts
No dish soap is not "that" bad. But should not be used. A lot of the deal with Dawn Wash comes from the Zaino site. Sal recommends washing with Dawn before using Zaino for the first time. A lot of people feel it cleans better. Some use it some don't. It will remove some waxes mostly carnuba but not all. Unless you really feel you need to, don't use dish soap!!! A good quality Car Wash Soap works just fine. My 98 Grand Prix has had 1 Dawn wash, had a truck spraying oil in front of me one time, the Dawn helped remove the oil....

If you feel you HAVE to remove any old wax/polhish then a wipe down of 50/50 water and Iso alcohol works great. Also if you polish the car that will remove most waxes

When I say wax I mean carnuba and Polymer waxes like Zaino, Zymol etc....

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
Red98gt said:
No dish soap is not "that" bad. But should not be used. A lot of the deal with Dawn Wash comes from the Zaino site.

dish soap is not bad at all. it is a great low cost wax remover and Zaino has nothing to do with it. dishsoap has been used for years. it's just all these people that are now just learning about cleaning cars, think it's some great new scientific revelation that Zaino came up with. I've been detailing cars for almost 15 years and I think that was one of the first things I learned

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't think its some great new innovation, I have been using it for a long time (the dawn blue part is a revelation) but I've always used dish soap

The only time I use it though, is when I want to strip every last bit of wax/polish/grease/road grime off the paint, and REAPPLY the protectant (wax/zaino/etc)

It won't hurt the paint in any way whatsoever - the reason people say its so bad is because it pulls off the wax protectant, which in turn leaves the paint vulnerable to contaminants.

For the process you are using, since you will be claybarring the car (which will remove everything too) and starting over with a new wax, you want to start with the cleanest possible surface, so use the Dawn.

But once you get that Zaino on there, don't use Dawn anymore!! Use specific car wash soap (I use Z7)

·
Belch
943 Posts
Will using a regular car wash soap like the Meguiar's pink stuff remove the wax? I wash my car once a week with this stuff -- and it doesn't seem to.

Regarding claybarring your car -- just buy the Mother's kit at Pep Boys or wherever for $16.99. Has an 80 gram hunk of clay, a bottle spray detailer to use as a lubricant and a tiny bottle of liquid carnuba wax (which I gave to my Dad).

This kit works great. You won't believe the difference.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
All something like Z-5 Pro or Fusion will really do is "hide" the swirls (the Z-PC is only slightly abrasive). You need to use a machine + polish to remove them. The Porter Cable kit from Tropi-Care (sponsor on the left) is $150, though, and the compounds/polishes can be another $50. Then, there's whatever wax/sealant you're gonna use.

Rather than spend all this $$$, it might behoove you to find a detailer who can do your car (unless you have multiple cars to polish). You still need to learn how NOT to get swirls in your paint (no automatic washes, no brushes or sponges, no pushing hard on the car with a towel to dry it).

If you were to go down the road of buying the stuff yourself, I've done the following procedure:

Porter Cable
3M Foam Pad Polishing Compound
3M Rubbing Compound (used for big scratches/paint transfer from other cars)
3M Swirl Mark Remover (if the swirls don't go away using the Foam Pad polishing compound).

First, wash the car with Dawn. It's OK to do this periodically (as it can help strip any grease/tar/wax from the paint) but it's not recommended to ALWAYS wash the car with Dawn - use a car wash soap for maintenance.

Then, clay it using any clay bar (Zaino, Mother's, Meguiar's, there's little difference in the functionality of the clay). Wash, then, use the PC with a foam polishing pad/the pad compound, and work the paint. Remove the polish, work on areas that still need attention, using more aggressive options (rubbing compound with a coarse foam pad or wool pad as a last resort). If swirls are still apparent, use the 3M Swirl Mark Remover and/or Zaino's Z-PC Fusion (I used/needed both on my black '98 Aurora).

After you are satisfied with the quality of your paint after doing the above steps, THEN and only THEN use a sealant/polish/wax. Things like Zaino can help hide very minor swirls and scratches, but don't count on them performing miracles. Getting the paint prepped properly is the key.

Hope this helps,

--Robert

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Id be terriefied to take abuffer to my car

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Borsig said:
Id be terriefied to take abuffer to my car
Rotary buffer = yes.
Orbital polisher = no. You can't really damage your paint (at least, not without trying HARD) with the orbital. It's perfect for a beginner...

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
porter cable 7424/7428?

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
I use the 7424, but I understand there's a newer model (7336?). Love it, but I have done 4 vehicles so far, with another 2-3 in the family who want me to hit their cars up...

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
I think this post has gotten a little of Borsig's original plan. he was looking at spending around $80.00 and really didn't seem to be into spending big coin on all the products AND a buffer. he just wanted to get a good cleaning a protection on it before the winter.

it's better to start off cheaper products and learn with them instead of getting totally overwhelmed with things you have never used before and wasting big money.

you can have "the best" products (which I actually think is Mother's anyway) but if you can't use them to the fullest, you're wasting your money

1 - 20 of 25 Posts