LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have contemplated doing this yourself here is something I have learned. In the note from a vendor it says that the threads are peened. It will completely remove the threads from the tie rod when you remove it. You
will definitely need a 14mm x 1.5 tap (which I had to order because NOBODY has it in stock) to prepare for the new tie rod end. It cant be something simple like a 14 x1.25 spark plug thread chaser. Here are some pics of the rack end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After 2 days waiting for snail mail finally got the tap in and 1 quick easy pass over the threads and it is perfect. Added a little red locktite and screwed in the new tie rod, slipped the boot back over, installed outer tie rod end and bolted it all back together. Done!

New tie rod installed

·
Registered
331 Posts
how did you know they were going out? There doesnt seem to be much info on the signs.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
470 Posts
Redhot did you have the cheaper inner tie rods or the more expensive ones? I'm just asking because I also have to change mine and I already have it but I'm wondering if I need the same tap size.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
470 Posts
So I was installing my new inner tie rods and I went over the threads with a tap and everything was going pretty smooth until I had to actually put on the new tie rods. I dont know what to do with the washers that have two notches sticking up. Are they suppressed to get inserted somewhere on thr rack or should I just tighten the tie rod and crush them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello. The tap should be a 14 x 1.5 or 14 x 1.25? Also, if you could please point me to a supplier that can send me the inner tie rods I will appreciate it. Kollar does not ship to Puerto Rico, even through freight forwarders. It is a nightmare to find these inner tie rods. I am about to buy the remanufactured steering rack from Cardone through Rockauto. I have not taken the inner tie rods out but I am pretty sure there has to be other inner tie rods out there, from Camaro, Corvette, or any other car, that will fit. Maybe even a good Machine Shop can work something out. Any help will be appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts