LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,583 Posts
For what they are asking for them plus the fixes and powder coating needed, yeah, I’d buy new ones. Then you can also get better branded and sized tires as well. I’d offer $400 picked up for those if it was me. Day’s is only a couple hours from me.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
I'd personally never buy used wheels from a wrecking yard. If they came off a wrecked vehicle, then there's a good chance at least one of the wheels could be bent.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'd personally never buy used wheels from a wrecking yard. If they came off a wrecked vehicle, then there's a good chance at least one of the wheels could be bent.
This right here. The chances of you getting a bad wheel is so much greater off a wrecked car. Why don’t you go on eBay. Plenty of suppliers with wheels in stock. These VMRs are everywhere on eBay.

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked custom offsets. The specific wheel and (offset) I need shows backorder. I emailed VMR to see eta.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
967 Posts
SkiPopeye is 100% right. Even if it wasn't from the accident or the reason the car made it to the wrecking yard in the first place, they are STILL used. You could have pothole damage...causing a bad wheel. You would need ot have these taken to a wheel repair shop and checked professionally

We have a couple of wheel repair shops in the Chicago area, but the cost to have them checked and fixed could outweigh the savings you could / would have. One benefit you would have with this is if you wanted a specific custom color / finish.

·
Seriously?
2,583 Posts
The pair of stock 18s I bought came from a junkyard but they also checked them and guaranteed them. First thing I did Saturday morning after I got them was take them to a tire shop and have them put on a wheel balancer. The guys let me stand right there and watch as the wheels spun straight. And of course Weldcraft also suggested doing this before I shipped the wheels to them for widening.

So while not to disagree with being wary of buying wheels from a junkyard, make sure they are refundable if later found to be bent or otherwise structurally not good. Days will accept and refund returns less shipping so there is that. I’ll still stick with them being too expensive for their condition.

·
Seriously?
2,583 Posts
Just got the VMR Black Friday sale email yesterday. Should be able to get a good deal right now if you want some VMRs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts