LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I basically never drive my GTO. Yesterday I fire it up after being parked for roughly 1 1/2 weeks in my garage. It started just fine. Once I got on the road though, the car felt like it only had 100HP. The engine was VERY sluggish and did not want to rev at all. Only 3400 miles on the clock now. I never had this problem with the car before. As the night went on with driving it, the car seemed to be quicker little by little, but never reached what it normally feel like. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
check your battery.

dont forget to flog yourself for not driving your GTO enough.
You have to pay attention to them! Dont be cruel.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I drive mine a lot, so I have not experienced this. How old is the gas in the tank? If it is a couple of months old, that could be the problem.

·
vetteman
536 Posts
well after i drive around for a while eventually it doesnt feel as strong as it should probably from engine temperature in the engine bay perhaps so i guess the timing changes as it gets hotter under the hood. but at night whooooo i get whiplash when i hit the gas

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will say it did feel quicker at the end of the night. I basically only use the car for the weekends. I would hate to drive it on the TurnPike out here and have it destroyed with rock chips. The gas in the tank was roughly the same age as when I pakred it. I put in a half tank before I got home back then. I had left the car parked for about a week before and never had it feel this bad. I mean the engine had ZERO power compared to the normal way. I have a tune so I am used to some get up and go.

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
check the battery

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What should I look into. Just the charge of it or do a reset on it?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was thinking you may have a failing gas pedal assembly.

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is what I was worried about. I read up on that a while ago. With having mods on the car should I be worried about taking it in to the dealer? I mean I have a tune and exhaust on the car so far.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
That is what I was worried about. I read up on that a while ago. With having mods on the car should I be worried about taking it in to the dealer? I mean I have a tune and exhaust on the car so far.
I don't see how they can blame your mods on the pedal assembly failing. It's a well known problem. You typically get a OSD message when this happens though, I didn't see in your post where your noticed that.

Jeff

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I did not get any fault code or errors. I came from the Audi worl where having a CEL was a way of life. That is what I loved about this car, no problems so far. This has me worreid though. The engine even revved rather difficulty.

·
Nobdy
195 Posts
It sounds like bad gas could be a cause. Tank condensation could be a problem. You can actually get water vapor to condense inside your tank. With fall around I could see it happening,in my area, it has been humid and evening temps have been low enough to get dew on the ground. I'd suggest thrashing on it for a few days (you know, "blow it out") to get rid of the gas and then fill it up with Amoco Ultimate or the premium fuel of your choice.

Also I've also heard when parking your car for a period of time, always park it with the tank full, it prevents the condensation problem and rust if you still have a metal tank. Of course for long term storage drain the tank, and fuel system, radiator, etc. put it on jack stands, disconnect the battery and all that craziness that people, with cars to expensive to drive, do.

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, the tank is almost empty now so I'll do what I need to. I only take the car out if it's a no rain, weekend day. I know, I'm crazy. Usually I got a week or so with it parked in the garage. Just never had this problem before. Had me pretty worried. If I tried to get on it harder or go WOT, there was a nasty hesitation then some power but nothing like the usual. I understand that with the gas pedal problem, you get the code, then a sort of limp mode.

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I did a battery reset tonight and went for another drive. Still have the old gas in it, but the car for sure felt a lot quicker once again.

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
did you check the voltage? not running and running?
or just unplug it for 5 minutes?

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did all 3 of those. Running I was steady at 14V. It was totally steady not running aswell. Battery seems to be great. I am just going to need to run this thing a ton more obviously.

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
what was the batteries resting voltage? (not running for a while?)

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
24 Posts
A bad throttle position sensor can cause those problems too. At work I repaired a 93 buick that had the same problems and the scan tool revealed the tps sensor had gone bad,it was only reading .5 volts wide open, and should read 4-4.5 volts wide open. A bad tps sensor will not give any codes though, you have to check it by viewing the data stream.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts