·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a before and after shot, similiar angles:

And some shots of front and rear, and spring comparison:

Front springs, stock on left:

Rears, stock on left:

Installation took about 2 hours with lift and wall mount spring compressor plus air tools. Fronts were hardest, but no worse than most new coil on strut cars. Rears were easy once I disconnected the swaybar, the shock on the bottom, and the adjustable trailing arm at the body mount. Its definitely lower than before, no ride feedback yet as I just got done.

·
Registered Goat Abuser
3,350 Posts
Very Nice – Thanks for posting the pics.

Please hurry up and drive it – I need to know how you like them.

Do you have any other suspension mods? I’m thinking I would also to the bushings at the same time.

This mod is definitely on my short list. Just been waiting to hear that pogo is not an issue with just doing the springs (like it is on the GTPs)

·
Registered
32 Posts
it looks great, nice improvement over the stock look. I was hoping the eibachs didn't give rear sag, and it looks nicely evened out. One thing I noticed tho, I think your tires may be on wrong if they are directional (it looks like they are). Something you might wanna look into.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just drove it home, and the ride is a bit firmer, but not bad at all. With the Azenis tires the car handles very well, much better than stock. It does need an alignment now though, as there is visible negative camber on the rear wheels due to the lowering, and things feel a bit squirrelly on real hard corners. That will happen tomorrow, and then things should be set for some autocross and open track events.

As for the tires, thats the way Falken Azenis look, they have an outside and inside, but no directional and an assymetrical tread pattern. The large blocks are outside for handling during hard cornering. Looks funky, but works well.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The KDWS have a treadwear of 400, roughly equivalent to rock. The Azenis have a 200 rating, much softer and stickier, and a very aggressive tread pattern. They are the most popular tire used in SCCA Solo II street tire class autocross events. Plus they aren't terribly expensive ($127 each shipped from tires.com)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Do me a favor and measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the front facia and the bottom of the side skirt. BTW, looks great!

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
I'd like to see some pics from the rear angle to see how the rear "tuck" of the wheels looks when lowered...

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Progressive, you can tell from the way that the coils go from spread to tighter at the end. The more they compress, the higher the rate.

Front fascia distance is now 6-3/4", and the nose is a bit lower in relation to the back than before. I had to adjust the lights a bit to compensate.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Good job with the pictures. The car looks good. Let us know how the car feels after your next auto-x. thnks.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I like the look but am concerned about rubbing, looks like there isn't much clearance on the front tire. Will it tuck up under the fender?

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No rubbing as yet, and I have been pushing it with a passenger in the car as well for weight. Even tried some speedbumps to see if the long tubes hit, no problems as yet. The Azenis are more square than the KDWS, and actually touch the strut tower on cornering, yet they appear to clear the fenders with no issues.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Question about install

2cool, when you took out the upper bolt on the front brake calliper carrier so that you could take out the lower strut bolt did you notice the blue stuff in there? I was wondering if it was thread lock or anti-seize. All the thread lock I have seen has been a kind of yellow. I just want to know what it is to add more if I need to.

Thanks,
GranTurismoOmologato

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. I saw that first when I was installing the PBR brake upgrade. It appears to be similiar to blue threadlock.

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
Which Eibach kit did you use and how much would you say it lowered the car. Some claim a 1" x .8" and the other I believe a 1.4" x 1.3". Looks sweet by the way. Got a buddy with the Nissan 350z that just walks away on the twisties from me. So, needless to say anything that can be done MUST be done to remedy this sham-mock-ery. You said the tire rubbed the strut tower. How bad does it touch and do they make a spacer to remedy that won't cause any fender rub. :secret:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Nice pics. I'm tossing around the spring issue. The price is not bad, the look is great, and anything that reduces wheel hop and helps traction is cool with me. Wonder if wider rear tires and wheels fit with aftermarket springs ?

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jodi, yep, I am down that way most afternoons. The only other GTOs I have seen in town are both on that road, a yellow and a purple.

anmracing, thats the part number, and it looks more like 1 to 1.2 front and 1.2-1.5 rear drop overall.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts