LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throttle response is quicker, and engine sounds great between
3,500-5,000 revs. Definately getting more air. The intake noise
is noticeable, but kinda sounds in sync with the exhaust note. :)
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
paco04 said:
Throttle response is quicker, and engine sounds great between
3,500-5,000 revs. Definately getting more air. The intake noise
is noticeable, but kinda sounds in sync with the exhaust note. :)

did you get it w/ heat shield. could you post pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gtodriver7 said:
did you get it w/ heat shield. could you post pics?
I was sent the original kit to use until the improved pod and heat shield
arrives from Australia. I've never posted pics before, but I'll try to take
some and post tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pics
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Wow it looks like you just had enough room length wise for it to fit. It looks like the foam is right against the inside of the car. Looks good though, have you started it up drove it some? do you hear or feel a difference?
thanks
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
paco04, that is a very attractive assembly. Much better looking than the one I installed. I wonder how the two units compare performance wise? If it is a nominal difference, I'll stick with what I have. Then again, appearance matters! (When it comes to our GTO's, we're all superficial.) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a little more room under the fender. I think the newer version has a shorter
stack and a different pod (the red part). I have no idea how the two units compare,
but it sounds great (not too loud) and looks pretty good too.
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
I was really thinking about getting that one versus the Speed, inc.....I think it looks better. I wonder if the performance is the same or what. So they are in the process of making an enclosure for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Is the Filter an "oil" type or dry ?

paco04 said:
There's a little more room under the fender. I think the newer version has a shorter
stack and a different pod (the red part). I have no idea how the two units compare,
but it sounds great (not too loud) and looks pretty good too.
With all the questions going on about getting oil on the MAF unit components, does this filter have oil on it or is it a DRY unit ?

Thanks
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
The manufacturer of this filter is www.uniflow.com.au Their website has a lot of information.
 

·
No More GTO!!!!
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
I installed one over a week ago and it also fits perfect.more room between the maf and power steering pulley than the speed inc setup.Don't recommend the cold air box,just a cheap thin plastic case.This air pod sit right atop the cold air ducts inside the drivers fender so I don't see the need either.the last point I will make is that unifilter has had these in production for the holdens for a while so it was no overnight wonder like some of these products for the GTOs that others are coming up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bone said:
I installed one over a week ago and it also fits perfect.more room between the maf and power steering pulley than the speed inc setup.Don't recommend the cold air box,just a cheap thin plastic case.This air pod sit right atop the cold air ducts inside the drivers fender so I don't see the need either.the last point I will make is that unifilter has had these in production for the holdens for a while so it was no overnight wonder like some of these products for the GTOs that others are coming up with.
Hey Bone, I sent you a PM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GTO_Again said:
With all the questions going on about getting oil on the MAF unit components, does this filter have oil on it or is it a DRY unit ?

Thanks
It's oiled foam. I wiped it down with a paper towel to absorb any
excess first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Paco / MisterMike thanks for the info on the filter -

While I'm thinking about filters - a couple of weeks ago when
I was putting in Höen xenonmatch Titanium low beam bulbs,
I noticed I had killed and collected about a million bugs in my
air conditioner coils - Just left the top radiator cover off while I have been looking into the CAI setups available - Back to the bugs - really would be NICE to have a top notch bug screen in
front of that air coil - aluminum screen wire looks bad and really stops a bunch of air flow - only other guys I found that have something that I ordered today is WindTrapper - looks pretty cheap but then so does the screen wire

Later - Ken
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
I just got this today and am in the middle of taking out the stock stuff, I cant get the lower half of the stock intake box to come out, I loosened the two lower bolts I could see but it won't move much, there is very little clearance to move around without taking out a whole bunch of stuff. Anyone out there that has installed this can you help? Paco you out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dbluegoat said:
I just got this today and am in the middle of taking out the stock stuff, I cant get the lower half of the stock intake box to come out, I loosened the two lower bolts I could see but it won't move much, there is very little clearance to move around without taking out a whole bunch of stuff. Anyone out there that has installed this can you help? Paco you out there?
The large intake box doesn't need to be unscrewed. Those rubber grommets
slide over those star headed bolts. I originally took the bottom two out,
then noticed that if you pull slowly but steadily or pry up from the other
bolts, the grommets slide over. The toughest one was under the radiator
puke tank. The other is towards the front of the car.
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
paco04 said:
The large intake box doesn't need to be unscrewed. Those rubber grommets
slide over those star headed bolts. I originally took the bottom two out,
then noticed that if you pull slowly but steadily or pry up from the other
bolts, the grommets slide over. The toughest one was under the radiator
puke tank. The other is towards the front of the car.
THanks man, I finally figured out after taking the two lower ones off that they slide up over the bolts. Now I have everything out the lower box and did you take off the plastic part that is behind the headlights it looks like it directs the air into the stock box? I took it out...now I am wondering about the bracket that came with the pod..... did you use any of that stuff to secure the pod end to the car? if so could you describe how and what you did? Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dbluegoat said:
THanks man, I finally figured out after taking the two lower ones off that they slide up over the bolts. Now I have everything out the lower box and did you take off the plastic part that is behind the headlights it looks like it directs the air into the stock box? I took it out...now I am wondering about the bracket that came with the pod..... did you use any of that stuff to secure the pod end to the car? if so could you describe how and what you did? Thanks for the help.
I did remove the extra piece of plastic. I only used one of the metal brackets. After the plate is mounted to the intake pod, attach one of the supplied angles with the star bolt that is most directly under the pod.
Then shape one of the braces into a slight "Z" that will bridge the offset.
I left about an inch between the maf and the pulley.
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Hey Paco and Bone, thanks for the help, I got it installed and went out for a spin. I am happy with the whole thing, it sure seems to respond better and you can definitely hear the difference at above 3000 rpms. Now if I could just get a impulse blue colored foam thing instead of that red.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top