LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if they made my car any faster but I can tell you that my idle is tons smoother and it seems to rev through the rpm range more fluid like and easier. I definitely enjoy driving it more.

But I think the biggest reason is plug gap. My OEM 8 plugs were gapped anywhere from 25 to 45 with most being just a tick over 30. I gapped all my NGK plugs at .050" and used anti-sieze on the threads.

The car does feel like it has a little more power to me but I don't like saying that with nothing to back it up. But I can tell you that I'm pleased with the change and feel I got my money's worth.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Told you the gaps in the factory plugs would be all over the place. And yes, the engine is much more "buttery smooth."

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CMNTMXR57 said:
Told you the gaps in the factory plugs would be all over the place. And yes, the engine is much more "buttery smooth."
That you did, that you did. :)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Any radio noise? I keep asking, sooner or later someone will reply :(

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mistermike said:
Any radio noise? I keep asking, sooner or later someone will reply :(
Darn, I didn't turn on my radio. I promise, absolutely promise, to have an answer for you by tomorrow evening. (Unless it rains because I just cleaned the heck out of it.) Do you want AM/FM and CD tested?

But I had the same set up in a 1998 C5 and a 2002 Z28 and got no noise what-so-ever in either so I don't expect any.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
If there's noise, it will be most noticeable on AM. Sweep through the dial, especially between stations. You never know what frequency it's going to pop up at until you try. If you doubt what you hear is ignition noise, turn the engine off but leave the radio on. Ignition noise will follow the throttle.

·
2,432 Posts
025 to 045? Really? I checked every single one out of the car and they were all 040. Just for the fun of it I checked all of the TR55's that I didn't use and they were all 056.

I didn't check the Denso's I put in because I read that with the small electrode it wasn't good to check them unless you really needed to. My best guess by just getting close to the electrode was that they were 050.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AmesGTO, yes I had one as wide as .045 and one as narrow as .025 I'm using a MAC feeler gauge. My Camaro was similar if I recall correctly.

I bought the cables from LG Motorsports and I had the plugs already.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
MIke, I answered your question numerous times...NO. No AM radio interference. :D

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
When I installed my NGK TR55's and 10.4mm Taylor wires, the stock plugs were all gapped at .040 except #6 which was .041 (not significant, I don't think.)

Like MXR and COOLPC, the new plugs and wires made a NOTICEABLE difference. I highly recommend this relatively economical and easy to install upgrade.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
MIke, I answered your question numerous times...NO. No AM radio interference. :D
Thanks CMNT, I must have missed your reply. :wall:

·
2,432 Posts
I don't understand why these plugs wouldn't be exactly 040. NGK makes these Iridium plugs for GM. If everyone is replacing them with NGK TR55's why would it be that NGK can't gap the more expensive Iridiums to exactly 040 from the factory, but they can gap the cheaper TR55's correctly.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Being in a Manufacturing facility, I have seen some "ugly" assembly line techniques. It is possible the "assembly line plugs" were thrown into some huge parts bin and banged around considerably before installation, thus changing the gap on some plugs.

I am not familiar with the Holden facility, but I find it hard to believe this would be the case. It is, however, one possible explanation for the wide variation in plug gaps.

·
2,432 Posts
FLORIT said:
Being in a Manufacturing facility, I have seen some "ugly" assembly line techniques. It is possible the "assembly line plugs" were thrown into some huge parts bin and banged around considerably before installation, thus changing the gap on some plugs.

I am not familiar with the Holden facility, but I find it hard to believe this would be the case. It is, however, one possible explanation for the wide variation in plug gaps.
I was thinking the same thing, but in that case the gap would always be something 040 or less. Where do the 040-045 gaps come from.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, but this range of gap thing just seems odd to me. I could see it happening back in the day with cheap plugs, but GM spent the money for NGK Iridium plugs on this car.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AmesGTO said:
I was thinking the same thing, but in that case the gap would always be something 040 or less. Where do the 040-045 gaps come from.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, but this range of gap thing just seems odd to me. I could see it happening back in the day with cheap plugs, but GM spent the money for NGK Iridium plugs on this car.
Well we are talking .005 of an inch difference here. That's five thousanths of an inch.. And I only had one plug over that size... I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. Most of mine were gapped too small, they even looked different to the naked eye. I think a lot of LS1 owners report the same thing when they take out their OEM plugs.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
You gotta remember, GM buys plugs in such bulk quantities, that it'd be impossible to gap each and every one. Given that most manufacturers (like NGK) have some variances to be allowed for, this would make some of the difference. Also, GM doesn't use NGK exclusively. Some vehicles get good old Genuine GM AC Delco parts.

Mike, I think you were to busy being a nattering naboob. :D But it's OK. :D

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I just did what CMNTMXR suggested. If he were the Lead Lemming, I'd follow him right off the cliff. :D

1 - 20 of 69 Posts