LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big roll of ozite for my build. I don't want to spray adhese the ozite as a permanent solution, I was wondering if big strips of velcro that have a sticky back for the metal, would hold on to the ozite atleast, if I was to put it around the edges and in certain areas. How well does velcro hold to ozite? I have future projects ahead, and this is not some show car, so lines and formations under the carpet do not matter, yet its not like I want the carpet to be all wrinkled either. Can I get away with using just velcro to hold down the carpet along with all the other interior trim pieces holding things down?

·
Premium Member
36,103 Posts
Ozite is crap IMHO. It looks nice when it's new, but gets nappy and gnarly looking and you have fibers sticking up after a while. It doesn't seem held together well.

I'm sure velco would probably grab the fibers, but it might pull apart easily. It definitely won't wear well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ozite is crap IMHO. It looks nice when it's new, but gets nappy and gnarly looking and you have fibers sticking up after a while. It doesn't seem held together well.

I'm sure velco would probably grab the fibers, but it might pull apart easily. It definitely won't wear well.
Yea, I tested a small area and noticed how it pulled up just like my rear seat delete cover carpeting does that I installed. Another reason why I want to make it temporary until I am ready to paint the floorboard and plate up those body holes that were under the tar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, gotta finish up rerunning the wires that all go to the back and rewrapping them in some wire loom to tidy it up before I prep for rear panels, getting my window leak fixed and then putting the carpet in (carpet will be temporary for now until I repaint the interior)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally getting around to doing the carpet install and working on rear panels. First time doing carpet has been interesting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got around to finishing the install of the cheap ozite carpet I am having in here temporarily. I used adhesive velcro strips to hold down the carpet in select places and it worked really well, since I did not want to spray adhesive since this carpet is not permanent. Still have interior trim panels to paint and ones to fabricate for the door covers and reinstalling the glove box skin. The rear of the car is also undone for trim and paint portion. Also finished the new digital dash setup after 4 months. For being a cheap lightweight carpet it looks good, for now at least. I had to make the carpet from scratch since I no longer had the original carpet, so that took a little trial and error with a few scrap pieces to map our the cuts for the center console.

·
Performance Addict
112 Posts
Looks nice!

What gauge cluster do you have in there? I’d like to know more about it.

Did you weigh all the interior parts you removed? I’m curious what the savings was.

thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks nice!

What gauge cluster do you have in there? I’d like to know more about it.

Did you weigh all the interior parts you removed? I’m curious what the savings was.

thanks
I removed the following:
-Radio head unit
-All speakers and foam insulation for speakers
-Front door panels
-Rear panels
-Removed rear metal panel that held in the rear speakers
- Removed original Carpet
-Removed all interior sound deadening tar except for kevlar wrap over trans tunnel
-Removed tubes for vents and vents running to where the rear passengers would sit and I fabricated delete plates to block those holes up.
85lbs+ of weight removed the last I weighed. I have since removed other things probably equalling another 10lbs or so

I also have no headliner, I have a rear seat delete kit and corbeau front seats with manual rails. The ozite maybe weighs 5lbs for all the material in there compared to original which may have weighed 20-30lbs
The panels I built are from ABS and weigh a pound or two ea compared to the front door stuff weighing 22lbs collectively. I also built panels for the rear. I wanted to strip my interior down but i did not want to leave it looking like it was just gutted out. The digital dash I built is a custom piece that took me around 4 months of tinkering around and fabricating the bezel for where it now sits. I still have more interior trim panels to make but theyre light weight compared to stock.

·
Premium Member
36,103 Posts
It looks like you haven't added your glovebox back in. It is possible to attach just the facia of the glovebox using some long stainless screws and 3M all weather fasteners as well, looks clean and weighs much less than the stock glovebox.

Since it looks like you're "race only," a lot of the bracketry under the dash can either be deleted or replaced with aluminum, especially if you no longer have airbags.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like you haven't added your glovebox back in. It is possible to attach just the facia of the glovebox using some long stainless screws and 3M all weather fasteners as well, looks clean and weighs much less than the stock glovebox.

Since it looks like you're "race only," a lot of the bracketry under the dash can either be deleted or replaced with aluminum, especially if you no longer have airbags.
My goal is to build it for autocross and to keep it a somewhat comfortable cruising car. That is pretty much exactly what I am going to do for my glove box. I have the skin already separated from the rest of the assembly. I have not pulled up the dash though...not yet at least. I am keeping the airbags and AC/Heat. My GTO has been daily driven for the almost 10 years and it sits at around 180k miles, and I still will drive it a couple times a month now. I just got another car to drive around so I don't have to use the GTO as my daily anymore. Now time for me to replace things all around starting next with clutch (original clutch) and suspension components.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sucks going from a job change where I had so much free time outside of my old job to work on things now I have barely any time so my modding process is substantially increased.

·
Premium Member
36,103 Posts
My goal is to build it for autocross and to keep it a somewhat comfortable cruising car. That is pretty much exactly what I am going to do for my glove box. I have the skin already separated from the rest of the assembly. I have not pulled up the dash though...not yet at least. I am keeping the airbags and AC/Heat. My GTO has been daily driven for the almost 10 years and it sits at around 180k miles, and I still will drive it a couple times a month now. I just got another car to drive around so I don't have to use the GTO as my daily anymore. Now time for me to replace things all around starting next with clutch (original clutch) and suspension components.

I left the handle area open because i used a 3rd screw to support it, IIRC, so i can access it for removal if i need to. Excuse the dirty carpet and seat.

i drilled slots in the passenger side dash vent panel (the one with the child seat sticker on it) and slid in some extra u-nuts, the same style that's used throughout the rest of the dash, and i think the stainless screws are 3" long and #8? i don't remember that, either, lol.

you can also see one of the aluminum brackets i used to support the dash under the makeshift guage/radio panel i have. i deleted the cubby hole. like i said, since the passenger airbag mount is pretty integral to the dash frame, i probably wouldn't delete it if you are going to keep them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the picture and details! Looks great, I have found magnets for some solutions to holding temporary panels up that I may need to remove at some point have worked great, at least for the lighter panels. I can remove my radio delete panel by hand because it is held on with magnets behind on some L brackets I installed, same thing with my digital dash bezel is held on by magnets to my inner structure panel for where the gauge sits. Just pull it to gain access to my power panel and then slap it back in. I will get around at some point to installing that glove box skin. I want to fabricate a cover for that hole where the latch for the door used to be, I got an idea in my head of how I can do it so you could have access to that 3rd screw holding it up without not being able to get to it. I can post up the pictures once I get something fabricated up. I get all sorts of ideas all the time that I want to try out.

I left the handle area open because i used a 3rd screw to support it, IIRC, so i can access it for removal if i need to. Excuse the dirty carpet and seat.

i drilled slots in the passenger side dash vent panel (the one with the child seat sticker on it) and slid in some extra u-nuts, the same style that's used throughout the rest of the dash, and i think the stainless screws are 3" long and #8? i don't remember that, either, lol.

you can also see one of the aluminum brackets i used to support the dash under the makeshift guage/radio panel i have. i deleted the cubby hole. like i said, since the passenger airbag mount is pretty integral to the dash frame, i probably wouldn't delete it if you are going to keep them.

·
Premium Member
36,103 Posts
Smurfing magnets. Why didn't i think of that, lol.

At the time i did it, i wanted to put a flap of carpet in that spot, but decided it wasn't that inportant to me so i left it. Would be cool to see what you come up with, i may copy it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Smurfing magnets. Why didn't i think of that, lol.

At the time i did it, i wanted to put a flap of carpet in that spot, but decided it wasn't that inportant to me so i left it. Would be cool to see what you come up with, i may copy it.
Magnets I know! The idea just came to me while I was in Home Depot looking for ideas of how to mount my dash bezel. BTW is that an S1 Sequential shifter in your GTO? If so that's the exact one I want to get as well, wish there was a cheaper option but this was never supposed to be a cheap hobby. I am going to build the fill cover for the skin out of a small piece of 1/16" ABS sheet and magnets.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts