LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,120 Posts
Magnets I know! The idea just came to me while I was in Home Depot looking for ideas of how to mount my dash bezel. BTW is that an S1 Sequential shifter in your GTO? If so that's the exact one I want to get as well, wish there was a cheaper option but this was never supposed to be a cheap hobby. I am going to build the fill cover for the skin out of a small piece of 1/16" ABS sheet and magnets.
Yeah, it is an S1. They make an offset handle version now that will fit the GTO a little better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And i just realised you said ABS plastic. Neat that it has that texture. Where did you find that at?
Its smooth on one side and texture on another. I buy the ABS sheets from a local plastic supplier. I actually used some strong magnets during the process of putting my new carpet in just to hold some areas in place temporarily.

·
Performance Addict
112 Posts
The digital dash I built is a custom piece that took me around 4 months of tinkering around and fabricating the bezel for where it now sits. I still have more interior trim panels to make but theyre light weight compared to stock.

Is that an android tablet tied into the OBDII? I really like that. I use an app on a tablet so I can do custom gauges and thought about mounting it somewhere. That is really a slick setup you have!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Is that an android tablet tied into the OBDII? I really like that. I use an app on a tablet so I can do custom gauges and thought about mounting it somewhere. That is really a slick setup you have!
It is indeed. I bought a tablet just to use for my dash, so I only have the programs installed on it and sideloaded what else I needed. Originally had it mounted at where the radio used to be but this looked a hundred times better to me at least. I just had to work around fabricrating the mount to hold it from the original cluster. I also mounted a switch for the obd reader (switch is where my fuel door button used to be) and wired up a separate power supply behind the dash to power the tablet. Then I cleverly hid the obd reader in a spot where I could see if it was reading or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
For what it is and my little experience with stuff like this im happy with how it turned out, and I designed the fascia to be very easily removable if i need to fix the tablet. Looks great at night and plenty bright during the day. I very rarely deal with glare but when I do I just accept it since Im just hot roddin my car up to my taste.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Even did up a gauge set up with the GTO logo in it for effect. If you notice the gauges are the same as the new model mustang digi, but thats the neat thing about having this digital setup since we can make it look however we want. Gear indicator works too, just plug in gear ratios and final drive and computer does the rest (as long as manual). You can really program this thing to show turn signals, fuel, cel lights etc but im not that tech savy enough and i dont have an aftermarket ecm that will work with my current app.

·
Premium Member
36,120 Posts
That's really cool. What software do you use on the tablet?

Android is too buggy for my taste. I would hate to be driving down the road and not have any instruments suddenly, or wait for my tablet to boot up when i started the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Realdash from a Finland company called Napko. It's designed to be used really for perma. digi dashes. If I wanted no lag and having all my other things like turn signals, cel lights, high beam indicator etc, id have to get a new ecm thats supported programmed to run along side the application and hard wired from there rather than bluetooth. I have it set up currently so it boots up from sleep mode everytime I turn the key. Takes about less than 10 seconds (as long as it connects haha) So i have a starting procedure to make sure. I even set up the program to start up with the pontiac emblem on boot-up to seem more authentic.

·
Performance Addict
112 Posts
Thanks for sharing all of that. You did a fantastic job with it. I may copy some of your ideas. 😉

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
How much did that setup run, if you don't mind me asking?
For the whole setup including the tablet, app, obd reader, power outlet for tablet, power switch for obd, cables, materials for building the mount and bezel, and other misc. materials I would probably say under 250 or so. Time frame for what it took me was a loose 4 months of tinkering and fiddling around with different setups, and then trying to fabricate a way of holding things in place. The tablet also wasn't my original idea, but my original idea did not work and I am so glad it did not (looked real cheap and the display was a quarter of the size)

·
Premium Member
36,120 Posts
That's not bad at all. I don't think you can really beat that for the price.

You have quite the clean, professional looking setup. You should post a how-to to show us how you did it.

I always imagined it would be cool to fabricate something with analog guages on either side and have something in the center, much like you have. I love the OEM guages and would want something that keeps that general vibe, but incorporates newer tech, but i know it would be really hard to do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That's not bad at all. I don't think you can really beat that for the price.

You have quite the clean, professional looking setup. You should post a how-to to show us how you did it.

I always imagined it would be cool to fabricate something with analog guages on either side and have something in the center, much like you have. I love the OEM guages and would want something that keeps that general vibe, but incorporates newer tech, but i know it would be really hard to do.
Thanks! This whole idea all started from me originally wanting to pull my dash and switches to get the LED bulbs changed to different colors. And then I created this. Having the OBD reader makes things easy but you are limited, compared to if everything was wired and running through say a megasquirt 3 EMS you could have basically the entire dash (plus whatever you want to program in boost gauge, oil pressure PIDs etc) and no lag. But I was going for a far cheaper and less tech savvy option.. And the setup you are referring to I actually had a similar screen setup on a different dash display I was using on another program/app. The setup I use now I just have displaying my water temp, battery voltage (which is great since I can see that it is actually charging and I just like knowing the actual voltage since our cars did not have a separate gauge for battery except through the hidden menu), RPM, speed, gear indicator and I have it setup to flash red on the RPM bar for when it gets at a certain set variable as a shift warning/light for me. I will have to try to get around to posting a how-to at some point. With my current setup there would probably be some things a lot guys with GTOs would probably not want to do with how I have this setup, but I'm okay with how it functions. It can be improved, it could perform better, but once I was happy with it I just moved on to my next project. I want to try and get a video of it in operation at some point. I don't have a good camera though and my phone is not the greatest with videos. If any of you lived in the NC piedmont triad area I could just show it in person, and then you could be like "yea I like that, no I think that's dumb or I would never do that to mine". I enjoy sharing this with the fellow GTO community.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts