LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the cars all but arriving each day now, I am considering what simple mods to undertake. This car is my daily driver, and I am not in the mood, yet, to take apart the engine. I did a custom intake on my GTP and noticed a great deal of gain, but that was a supercharged car and needed more air, (especially with a smaller pulley :). I see that one company at this time, makes an intake with a foam filter, do you think just that will do any good? Should I wait til more parts are on the market?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
One nice thing about having to wait longer for mine is that there will be somebody out there that will be moding theirs first and I can copy the good ones!! Personally I am curious about the single cold air intakes.

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
You'll only see so much from the filter alone. The gains to be had are in freeing up the plumbing too. For this you'll either need to wait wait until someone comes up with a cold air kit for it or fab your own.

You already have the LS6 intake from the factory, so until you go with some form of major power adder, you won't need an aftermarket unit. That leaves the MAF and TB. Both of which on Bolt-on cars, you may see some gain, albeit minimal but when you go up to a major power adder, you'll end up going back to the stock units for tuning purposes.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I want to see what happens when someone plays with the rear end gearing. They say the thing already launches hard already.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I knocked off .3 of a second and gained 2mph going from the stock 3.42 rear to 3.73's.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Any downside Mixer?? MPG or anything? 3.73 is a nice all around ratio, or at least it used to be when I had a 12 bolt in my old Monte, but that's not exactly a Z/28 or a Goat!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yea, on the highway prior I could get 26/27 mpg, now I get around 24/25 mpg. Around town I can't give an accurate assesement of mileage because I'm usually romping on it.

What the major difference is, besides the performance gain is the fact that it keeps the engine tached up a little bit more so it naturally responds a little cripser to quick throttling and seems more spritely in everyday driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey you guys just need to ask us Aussies what are the best mods. We have had a few years experience and developement time with these cars. Airbox only needs a K&N or Kingdragon filter for a few extra Hp. The best mod there is a smoother bore MAF to throttle body pipe but these may be on your cars as it is a recent upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts