LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
undefinedundefined

Okay, I'm geting ready to make my first modifications. After everything I have read I'm kinda leaning twoards the speed inc cold air intake. Biggest question is about the filter, is it a wash and re-use like a K&N? I'm a big fan of the K&N filters but I like the curve of the speed inc one. Haven't seen any opinions on the K&N setup.

Second is a MAF. Granatelli makes some pretty big claims with theirs but the slp one is alot more reasonable in price. Any opinions on the 2 would be appreciated.

Those 2 and a thermostat will be what I do first, maybe a throttle body and then exaust at a later date.

thanks in advance

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
Not sure if message posted, so I will say again that someone posted the MAF may be a waste of money. Said something to the effect that the Cars computer eventually adjusts for the difference making the gains very minimal for the money you spend. I might have misinterpretted it though, I don't know. :zzz:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that under the faq's, although the person that posted it had an slp MAF.......things to make you go hmmm...

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
Well in my expeience with my camaro, I would say that changing MAFs are usless and they can actually hurt performance. They also make tuning harder and are basically uneeded unless you are very modified.

The first intake system I had on my car was the Speed inc induction. All I have to say about that is it is now not on my car. Im not bashing them in any way, but the quality could of been better and it made my car run like balls. Also the filter is not a K&N, mine was a MAC filter. I baught a K&N aircharger and I am awaiting its arrival. Chose that because another member gained 19.7hp, and it comes with a heat sheild. Also this kit has supports so that it is not moving all arround under engine torque.

-Brian

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
Ahh,...eerrr....HHMMMM. I hear you there. I didn't know that. I just ordered the K&N CAI today. Hope it helps. Might try to insulate the box somehow though. a lot of heat under the hood of these babies.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
gordo24fan said:
Ahh,...eerrr....HHMMMM. I hear you there. I didn't know that. I just ordered the K&N CAI today. Hope it helps. Might try to insulate the box somehow though. a lot of heat under the hood of these babies.
Yeah, Im definately gonna go out and buy some header rap for it :) There was another member here that did that to his stock airbox and it helped him, so im gonna try it to the K&N and see what happens with that :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be anxous to hear what you think about the K&N setup, please keep me posted. Not exactly sure what you plan to wrap on it though.

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
Me too. Please keep us posted. Didn't even think of using header wrap.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
Ill deinatley keep you guys posted. Theres a couple of things im gonna try on it. The first one is the header rap, Which will go on the intake tube, and the heat sheild. And the second is relocating the IAT sensor in the airfilter like the LPE kit. The LPE and K&N are very similar, and the major thing changed between the two is the LPE has the IAT in the air filter instead of in the intake tube right in front of the radiator/hot engine bay, and the LPE is about $100 more. You can see pictures of the K&N here....http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7040&highlight=aircharger, courtesy of DOC GTO, they are about half way down the page :)

-Brian

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The LPE one is $400 K&N $250 speed about $180. I really like the LPE one but I'm not fond of wasting money.

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
First the intake then maybe the JBA short headers. Hopefully the combo will add a few extra ponies....ooppps...said the p-word. Next thing you know that Horse-snake work will come out. Sorry for the fowl language.

·
IBM GTO owner
60 Posts
I wouldn't get anything that is an open cone setup. If people are interested i can fabercate up a nice intake setup. The one i built for my gtp is great, its completely heat insulated and sealed, only cold air is fed into it. Its also setup to feed into my ram air hood on that car.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
"cold air intake" is a misnomer, a phantom, an oxymoron, the holy grail.

I have come to realize there is only "warm air intake", "hotter air intake", and "really hot air intake" under the hood of this car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I read all of your post on the subject as well desertgoat. Cold air it is not, more effecient flow into the engine is really what I'm hoping for I suppose.

BTW who did your windows? mine have what looks like a silver line where the little black dots of paint are on the windows. It's like the tint didn't stick all the way down because of the dots. Very evident on the back windows.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
The silver lining is also evident in mine--I just learned to live with it. It was done by the same guy who did all my other cars, as well as 38 windows in my house. Dark window tint is a requisite in the desert.

Speaking of the desert, you guys really have no idea what heat soak and hot air intake is until you experience 3 straight months of ambient air close to and often surpassing 115 degrees. There is just no room to breathe under the bonnet and the design of the hood and the engine layout just lends itself to trapping all that hot air under there. I did all I could to improve the air intake and insulate the throotle body as much as possible---that and parking my goat most of the summer and waiting until winter arrives when it's nice and 60-70 degrees out.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
IBMgoat said:
Yeah, Im definately gonna go out and buy some header rap for it :) There was another member here that did that to his stock airbox and it helped him, so im gonna try it to the K&N and see what happens with that :)
I don't think I'd use header wrap for the intake because:
1. It's devilishly expensive because it withstands 2000*F heat
2. It won't insulate as well as a foam type product, partucularly one with a foil facing.
3. It's kinda fussy sh!t to deal with. It's very fragile (fiberglass) and tends to unravel.
4. No adhesive backing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I couldn't see it in the pics and see it every time I walk up to my car was why I was asking, 35% all around and it does make a difference even if I am a little illegal for where I live on the front wndows.

I spent 2weeks out there one year, last week of July and first week of August. Phoenix actually, it was in the 130's on the flightline, people were whining about 20% humidity. All I know is the wind felt like a blow torch and I kept burning myself on airplanes. Felt pretty good at night when the sun was down and it was only 100 out though.

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
FlyinGTP said:
I wouldn't get anything that is an open cone setup. If people are interested i can fabercate up a nice intake setup. The one i built for my gtp is great, its completely heat insulated and sealed, only cold air is fed into it. Its also setup to feed into my ram air hood on that car.

:banghead: I already ordered the K & N. If it isn't very good I might try to PM you at a later date and take you up on the fabrication of a box thing though. Think the Stock heat shield shome extra metal and a few rivits, I can close up the box though. What they really need is a true cowl induction hood set up.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
gordo24fan said:
:banghead: I already ordered the K & N. If it isn't very good I might try to PM you at a later date and take you up on the fabrication of a box thing though. Think the Stock heat shield shome extra metal and a few rivits, I can close up the box though. What they really need is a true cowl induction hood set up.
Well the K&N is an open cone, but it has a heat sheild that fully seals to the hood. This should take care of alot of the hot air sucking, especially if it is well insulated :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
shutemup said:
I read that under the faq's, although the person that posted it had an slp MAF.......things to make you go hmmm...
Before you go "Hmmmm" I constantly swap it back out. Right now my stocker is in place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts